• 

10.4K Messages

Tuesday, December 9th, 2014 9:08 PM

Closed

How to unlock an Iphone

How can I get my iPhone unlocked?

How long does this process take?

What are the requirements?

These and other related questions will be answered in this thread. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here and the Community will be happy to help!

Thank you,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have an answer that worked for you? Help other users by marking helpful posts as an "Accepted Answer". And don't forget to leave a Like!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Former Community Manager

• 

10.4K Messages

9 years ago

Your device is designed to work on the AT&T wireless network, and may require a device unlock to operate on another compatible wireless network.

AT&T can send you unlock instructions upon request, provided that we can reasonably obtain them from the manufacturer and that you meet the requirements below. You should receive a response within two business days.

How To Request A Device Unlock

1. Go to the Device Unlock Portal (page best viewed from a desktop or tablet).
  2. Follow the prompt listed.  

To check status of your request

1. Go to our Status Portal.
  2.  Enter your IMEI Number & Request Number.
  3. Follow the prompts.

General Requirements for All Unlock Requests

• Is an AT&T phone or device and isn’t active on another AT&T account.
  • Has a paid-off installment plan.
    • Paid through your monthly bill: Submit your unlock request at the start of your next bill cycle.
    • Paid off early: The wireless number assigned to the device must be active for at least 60 days. Wait 48 hours after you make your final payment to submit your unlock request. Learn how pay off your installment plan.
  • Doesn’t have a past-due account balance. Make a payment to bring your account current. It will take 24 hours for your payment to post. 
  • Hasn’t been reported as lost, stolen, or involved with fraud.

Postpaid Customers

• Your account must be active for at least 60 days, with no past due or unpaid balance.

Prepaid / GoPhone®

• The device must be active for at least six months of paid service.

Business Customers

• The device:
    • Has permission from the company to be unlocked
    • Has a completed contract or term agreement, if applicable
    • Requires a 30-day waiting period to unlock if it was on a 2-year contract that was upgraded early

Non-AT&T Mobility Customers

• You’ve never had an AT&T wireless account and you meet the General Requirements for unlock requests.

Deployed Military Personnel (Current AT&T Customers Only)

• Current AT&T customers who are active and deployed military personnel, and have provided deployment verification, need to meet all the General Requirements, except those related to the device's service commitments, installment plans and early termination fees.
  • AT&T, at its sole discretion, may limit the number of devices military personnel can unlock.

Important:

AT&T reserves the right to deny any unlock request that it concludes would result in an abuse of this policy or is part of an effort to defraud AT&T or its customers. AT&T further reserves the right to alter this unlocking policy at its discretion without advance notice.

(edited)

Accepted Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

9 years ago

to unlock the iphone, you need to backup and restore the phone using iTunes. That will complete the unlock. That is the only way to unlock an iPhone.

It is best to backup the phone and completely wipe the phone and then backup and restore as a new phone. You should get the unlock message.

Then you can restore the phone from any backup (either iTunes or Cloud).

Accepted Solution

• 

25.7K Messages

9 years ago

It seems you purchased a locked phone from someone and the phone is locked to the AT&T system. Here is a rather long thread concerning unlocking an AT&T phone and a link to the unlock policy...

https://forums.att.com/t5/Apple/iPhone-Unlocking-Questions-and-Discussion/m-p/4169856#M229094

Note the section entitled Unlock my phone: I am not an AT&T customer in this link...

https://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB414532&cv=820

Your best bet would probably be to return the phone for refund and purchase a phone in your local area that is capable of using your local phone systems.

Accepted Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

9 years ago

Presuming you meet the requirements for unlocking, you are the one that should put in the unlock request and complete the unlock process with your sim after you receive approval. The unlock needs to be complete before your friend puts her sim in.

Accepted Solution

Administrator

• 

835 Messages

8 years ago

Accepted Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

8 years ago

It may be that the phone is reported lost or stolen. If that is the case, the phone will not be unlocked.

Since the phone is not usable, file a claim with eBay.

Accepted Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

8 years ago

Once unlocked, it stays unlocked. 

Accepted Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@yami2003 Unlock it as a non-customer.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

9 years ago

Dear sir
Yesterday i update my i phone 3gs after update its show no service then I m call apple customer care he says your phone locked by att carrier.sir please help me

Scholar

• 

457 Messages

9 years ago

You will have to submit unlock request through the online form. If the phone does not belong to you, then you will have to find out who the owner of the phone is, and ask the owner to request the unlock request with att. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.