For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The new iPhone 15
markinzeroland's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Tuesday, October 15th, 2013 3:25 PM

iPhone Deletes email Messages from AT&T Sever

At one time, I had my AT&T iPhone set up with a POP3 email account configuration and set up the Advanced Settings to NEVER remove email from my AT&T email server... powered, so they say, by Yahoo!. At the same time I had my MS-Outlook client on my PC to not delete them for 14 days. This worked great--for years. I could access my email from both the phone and PC and never lost a message, never exceeded my server limits. All was in harmony.

However, I noticed in the last two or three months while I was running iOS6 on the phone prior that my email messages were being deleted from the email server after deleting them on the phone (and before reading them on my PC). Something changed but not initiated by me. I tried updating the settings on the phone to be the same as http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB401568#fbid=3E3wHiJA3eq. However, it doesn't let me choose POP3 account type--it still says IMAP.

Even though the Advanced Setting says to NEVER delete messages on the server, I can clearly see the messages being deleting simply by looking at my inBox on the AT&T/Yahoo! webmail client. All I have to do is send myself an email from work, it shows up in the inBox on the webmail client, I read it on the phone, that status on the webmail client shows it was read, I delete it on the phone, and it disappears from the webmail client's inBox. Note: This test verifies that neither MS-Outlook on my PC (it was OFF) or the webmail client are the problem. Something is wrong with my phone settings or the server.

Two things on the phone I haven't been able to figure out with iOS7. How to set up a POP3 email account with an att.net domain email address. It's forced to IMAP and I have no other choices. However, I can change the POP and SMTP addresses from Yahoo! to AT&T (by the way, I get the exact same behavior with the Yahoo! POP and SMTP servers). Yes, yes, yes, and yes, I have the Advanced Settings set to remove messages NEVER.

Former Community Manager

• 

10.4K Messages

11 years ago

Hello @markinzeroland 

This is a tough question, I searched around and played with my phone, but I can't find a way to solve this issue, you might have to check with Apple's support on this. I found where those messages go though, they don't disappear, they get moved into "Deleted Messages" folder (have to click on "Folders" to expand).

iphattnet.JPG

Dmitriy

1 Attachment

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

Long shot - check the settings on the web email, ob google impa defaults to deleting after forwarding, you might find a setting for pop3 also, they maybe like google that you have to turn that on

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

Dmitriy,

Thanks for the response. Whether or not the messages are left on the server seems to be determined by the Mailbox Behaviors settings of the iPhone. I have my phone set up to store deleted messages in the Trash folder on my phone. It is therefore deleting them off the server. If I change the behavior to store it in the Deleted Messages folder on the server, it does exactly what you observed.

My expectation is that if I specify a Mailbox Behavior to save the deleted message on my phone and never to remove it form the server is that it would be left in my inBox so my PC email client can down load it. THIS IS HOW IT USED TO WORK until a few months ago. It appears that the priorities of the Mailbox behaviors are now set to override the feature to never remove data from the server. The iOS seems to now not support sharing an email server with multiple clients by design. Not a very good design either in my opinion.

You're right I'll probably have to visit one of the Geniuses at the Apple store.

Mark

Mentor

• 

73 Messages

10 years ago

Same exact issue.  was just viewing my email online and went to check with an older email i was saving for specific reasons (very important) and it was nowhere to be found.  I panicked!  Luckily it is still on my iphone but for the love of god that isnt acceptable. 

Seems the only ones left in my att box are from this month.... I have some going back 6 months, their should have been several pages worth.   id venture to say 85% of what I had saved are gone...

so ya ... 😞

Master

• 

7.1K Messages

10 years ago

@klepp0906 wrote:

Same exact issue.  was just viewing my email online and went to check with an older email i was saving for specific reasons (very important) and it was nowhere to be found.  I panicked!  Luckily it is still on my iphone but for the love of god that isnt acceptable. 

Seems the only ones left in my att box are from this month.... I have some going back 6 months, their should have been several pages worth.   id venture to say 85% of what I had saved are gone...

so ya ... 😞

How is the iPhone set up?  as a POP account or IMAP?  It may be setup as POP and that would delete your messages from the server once it is retrieved from your account.  IMAP should not delete anything unless you tell it to.

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

10 years ago

@youngjm wrote:

@klepp0906 wrote:

so ya ... 😞

How is the iPhone set up?  as a POP account or IMAP?  It may be setup as POP and that would delete your messages from the server once it is retrieved from your account.  IMAP should not delete anything unless you tell it to.

I believe you are probably onto something here.  I seem to reccal that when I setup my AT&T email account on my iPhone/computer, I was forced to set it up as a POP3 account, not an IMAP account.  Granted, I did my setup a couple years ago, but still I was forced to use POP3 then.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

How does one know if it's POP or IMAP? and how do you set it up?

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

8 years ago

Hmmm,  this is a 2 year old theread, but let me give it a try...

To tell if the server is POP3 or IMAP, go into the email configuration.  Select the account you want to check and Then tap on the Account details and select Advanced.  Under the SSL section, you will see a setting for the Server Port.  If that value is 995 then you are using POP3.  If that value is 993 (or 143) then you are using IMAP.  If you don't see an option for the Server Port, they you would need to consult with Apple and how they chose to setup the server connection for the server type you chose and the iOS version you are running.  With older versions of iOS, I think Yahoo allowed you to specify IMAP or POP3, but with the newer (iOS 10) version, I believe that Yahoo defaults to IMAP only.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

8 years ago

If you have a choice choose IMAP. It's a newer protocol and more up-to-date.  

It might even be more secure.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

I had a ton of unread emails in my att yahoo account.  I finally got around to deleting them from my computer.  However, I just looked at my iphone yahoo email and they are all there.  Now the email is not updating.  Help!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.