For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The new iPhone 15
bergamini's profile

Mentor

• 

39 Messages

Tuesday, February 3rd, 2015 7:09 PM

iPhone 6: Water Damage / Next / Insurance

I have an iPhone 6 I got the first week of November on the 12-month exchange (20 payments) plan.  I also bought the damage insurance.

Last night I dropped the phone in my dog's large water bowl and it was submerged for 1-2 seconds in 3" of water.  Completely submerged -- I could see the screen still through the water as it was on the back when it landed.

I immediately dried it off and put it in my food dehydrator (as some experts recommend) at low heat for 18 hours.  It works perfectly, every button and every feature.

Nonetheless, I'm quite sure that the water damage sensors (inside) are going to indicate the submersion.

I see no need now to file a claim if the phone is still working (deductible = $199), but I guess there is a 60 day limit on filing claims so I should do it within 2 months if I am going to.

My question is, when I want to trade it in next November, is it going to preclude me from being considered a valid trade in the Next program if the water damage sensors are flagged?

I guess I should just file a claim, but I might wait until closer to the 60 day mark just in case my clumsy self causes more damage.

Thoughts?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Community Support

• 

15.2K Messages

9 years ago

Hey @bergamini

I’m sorry to hear of the accident! With regards to your Next trade-in, the device must be good working and physical condition.

Good working condition is determined based on the following questions:

• Does the smartphone power on and off?
  • Is the LCD intact, free of any chips or cracks, and functioning correctly?
  • Is anything else on the smartphone broken or cracked? Including housing, keypad, hinge, or battery door?
  • Is the battery missing?

As long as the answers to these questions are yes, you should be good to trade-in! If concerned regarding Liquid Damage Indicators, I would recommend bringing the device to the nearest Apple store to have an Apple Genius inspect the device to find if any of the indicators have been triggered.

I hope this helps!

Charise

Professor

• 

1.7K Messages

9 years ago

The rumor is that there are three water sensors.  They are near the earphone jack, the lightning port and inside the SIM tray.

If the phone works, I'd keep it.  My strong suggestion is to process your Next trade-in in-person at an AT&T store.  If your phone is accepted and signed for, you should be good to go.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

My wife dropped her iPhone in the water hey she put it in rice but it is not working what can we do for this issue

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

8 years ago

@Conk98

if you have insurance make a claim.  Otherwise you will have to buy a new phone. 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

hi

i have a iphone 6s plus. today i was doing tooth brush and also doing chating. at that time one of my friend came and we crashed together and my phone falling down in wash basin. it works, it runs but after half an hour i put in to charging but it does not charge. still its not charging. need help.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

8 years ago

Kevinnn24 wrote:

i have a iphone 6s plus. today i was doing tooth brush and also doing chating. at that time one of my friend came and we crashed together and my phone falling down in wash basin. it works, it runs but after half an hour i put in to charging but it does not charge. still its not charging. need help.

If there is no physical damage then your problems could be covered by warrenty.  You're iPhone has a 1 year warrently and since they came out 51 weeks ago (50?) you should still have a little more time on it.

Take it to an Apple Store ASAP.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

8 years ago

@Kevinnn24

You should know if it is water or physically damaged, it is not covered under warranty.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

8 years ago

@lizdance40 wrote:

You should know if it is water or physically damaged, it is not covered under warranty. 

This is certainly intended to be a portable device, personally I'd expect that it was designed to survive some droppage and still be covered by warranty (that's my personal interpretation). If that's not the case, then they should be making them with rubber backs / edges with a built in camera strap(!), they certainly shouldn't be making them out of frictionless materials...

From my hand to the sink (is that a wash basin?) seems like a more than reasonable distance. 

I've certainly dropped phones farther than that (more than once) and had zero problems.  

If the phone is damaged externally it's hard to explain if that was 1 foot or a 15 foot drop. I had a Nokia 810 that shattered from a 18 inch drop (if that far) and looking at it there was no way they weren't going to believe I didn't drop it down a flight of stairs, that should have been covered. 

(I'm assuming since they were brushing their teeth that the sink wasn't full of water).  

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

8 years ago

I have to wonder about durability.  I know people who have thrown their phone, dropped it, cracked screen and it still works fine.  

Others drop a phone once and it goes black, kaput.  I dropped my 6p, in its case, once.  Just about had a heart attack, but it's fine.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

i got it bro. i watch the video on youtube and put my phone in silica. so
now its working better then before.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.