Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted May 9, 2014
3:13:52 PM
View profile
iPhone 6 Now Rumored for August Launch

Apple is set to launch the iPhone 6 in August, a month earlier than expected, according to a news report.  A 4.7-inch screen version of the iPhone 6 will reach stores in August, with a 5.5-inch or 5.6-inch model released in September.

Since the iPhone 5 was released on September 21, 2012, this would present an interesting dilemma to those who are on a two-year upgrade cycle. 

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/05/09/us-apple-iphone-idUSBREA4808C20140509

Apple is set to launch the iPhone 6 in August, a month earlier than expected, according to a news report.  A 4.7-inch screen version of the iPhone 6 will reach stores in August, with a 5.5-inch or 5.6-inch model released in September.

Since the iPhone 5 was released on September 21, 2012, this would present an interesting dilemma to those who are on a two-year upgrade cycle. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

iPhone 6 Now Rumored for August Launch

40 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(40)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 9, 2014 5:25:00 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor
I honestly would take this with a grain of salt. iPhones are pretty known to be released in the Fall, would not shock me if that's what happens this time. Smiley Happy
~Sunshine Smiley Happy
I honestly would take this with a grain of salt. iPhones are pretty known to be released in the Fall, would not shock me if that's what happens this time. Smiley Happy
~Sunshine :)
- Sunshine :)
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: iPhone 6 Now Rumored for August Launch

2 of 41 (1,982 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 9, 2014 6:38:57 PM
(0)
Mentor

I try to believe every rumor I hear...makes my life so much more interesting.

3 of 41 (1,972 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 9, 2014 8:36:41 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Rayosun wrote:
iPhones are pretty known to be released in the Fall, would not shock me if that's what happens this time.

Only after they were known for being released in June.

Rayosun wrote:
iPhones are pretty known to be released in the Fall, would not shock me if that's what happens this time.

Only after they were known for being released in June.

4 of 41 (1,952 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 10, 2014 7:40:08 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

cousintim wrote:

Not a dilemma for me.  I purchased my iPhone 5 on release day in 2012 at an AT&T store in Indianapolis, IN.  I have been getting notifications for over a month now that I am eligible to upgrade my iPhone 5 using AT&T NEXT, so whenever the next iPhone is released (and available at an AT&T store) I will be able to get it without fear of my contract causing me delays.

I do know what you mean about the contract dilemma though, as when I upgraded from my iPhone 3G to my iPhone 4, I had to wait a month which pushed me back almost 2.5 months based on eligibility.  Just getting my iPhone 3G was delayed by a few months because of the contract on my Blackberry I had before that.

Anyone who purchased their iPhone 5 under contract with AT&T during September 2012 should be able to upgrade to a new contract iPhone as early as Sept 1, 2014, so even if the next iPhone is released in August (and following Apple's patterns, available in September), most people will be able to get one at the upgrade pricing (if they are renewing a contract).

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.

cousintim wrote:

Not a dilemma for me.  I purchased my iPhone 5 on release day in 2012 at an AT&T store in Indianapolis, IN.  I have been getting notifications for over a month now that I am eligible to upgrade my iPhone 5 using AT&T NEXT, so whenever the next iPhone is released (and available at an AT&T store) I will be able to get it without fear of my contract causing me delays.

I do know what you mean about the contract dilemma though, as when I upgraded from my iPhone 3G to my iPhone 4, I had to wait a month which pushed me back almost 2.5 months based on eligibility.  Just getting my iPhone 3G was delayed by a few months because of the contract on my Blackberry I had before that.

Anyone who purchased their iPhone 5 under contract with AT&T during September 2012 should be able to upgrade to a new contract iPhone as early as Sept 1, 2014, so even if the next iPhone is released in August (and following Apple's patterns, available in September), most people will be able to get one at the upgrade pricing (if they are renewing a contract).

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

5 of 41 (1,899 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 10, 2014 8:07:09 AM
(0)
Expert

cousintim wrote:

but then we will hear from those that just signed up for the 5S/C on the next plan and will not be eligible for upgrade..... Besides unless it has the Apple trademark on the press release it is blue smoke and mirrors

cousintim wrote:

but then we will hear from those that just signed up for the 5S/C on the next plan and will not be eligible for upgrade..... Besides unless it has the Apple trademark on the press release it is blue smoke and mirrors

6 of 41 (1,893 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 10, 2014 8:10:11 AM
(0)
Expert
Edited by wingrider01 on May 10, 2014 at 5:50:37 PM

Richmond Dan wrote:

Which is why I visit Area 51 every April to celebrate the UFO sighting In Cape Girardeau

Richmond Dan wrote:

Which is why I visit Area 51 every April to celebrate the UFO sighting In Cape Girardeau

[ Edited ]
7 of 41 (1,892 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 10, 2014 3:44:56 PM
(0)
Mentor

I am looking forward to the release of the iPhone 6. :-D

I am looking forward to the release of the iPhone 6. :-D

8 of 41 (1,859 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 10, 2014 5:23:21 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Edited by cousintim on May 10, 2014 at 5:23:54 PM

GeekBoy wrote:

Source for this?

The upgrade date for my account is a full 24 months from the activation date of my iPhone 5 upgrade.

GeekBoy wrote:

Source for this?

The upgrade date for my account is a full 24 months from the activation date of my iPhone 5 upgrade.

[ Edited ]
9 of 41 (1,843 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 10, 2014 5:51:58 PM
(0)
Expert

cousintim wrote:

GeekBoy wrote:

Source for this?

would like to know the scource also, mine is 24 months or the next plan

cousintim wrote:

GeekBoy wrote:

Source for this?

would like to know the scource also, mine is 24 months or the next plan

10 of 41 (1,833 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 10, 2014 5:52:29 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

cousintim wrote:

Source for this?

The "official" upgrade date is listed at 24 months from the date you signed your contract.  AT&T will let you upgrade your phone any time in the month of which your contract is completed without forcing you to wait until the exact date.  If you contract is completed on Sept 29, tehy will let you upgrade on Sept 1st.  It's not much, but it's a nice little thing that they do.  I don't remember which of the AT&T employees told me this little tidbit, but I think it was posted here in the forums within the last month.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

cousintim wrote:

Source for this?

The "official" upgrade date is listed at 24 months from the date you signed your contract.  AT&T will let you upgrade your phone any time in the month of which your contract is completed without forcing you to wait until the exact date.  If you contract is completed on Sept 29, tehy will let you upgrade on Sept 1st.  It's not much, but it's a nice little thing that they do.  I don't remember which of the AT&T employees told me this little tidbit, but I think it was posted here in the forums within the last month.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

11 of 41 (1,832 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 10, 2014 8:54:49 PM
(0)
Master

cousintim wrote:

Did you hear the one that Apple is going to release an HDTV?  Not this year but last year, the year before that and the year before that! Oh and the new iPhone will be larger... That was the said each of the last one to two years......
The reports might be acurate but until Apple makes the announcement at one of their presentations, I would not get to0 excited.  It is safe to say there will be a new iPhone, when and what it will be is on Apple's secret timeframe and design!

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

cousintim wrote:

Did you hear the one that Apple is going to release an HDTV?  Not this year but last year, the year before that and the year before that! Oh and the new iPhone will be larger... That was the said each of the last one to two years......
The reports might be acurate but until Apple makes the announcement at one of their presentations, I would not get to0 excited.  It is safe to say there will be a new iPhone, when and what it will be is on Apple's secret timeframe and design!

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

12 of 41 (1,813 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 11, 2014 9:11:15 AM
(0)
Expert

GeekBoy wrote:

cousintim wrote:

Source for this?

Mine IS listed as the first day of the 24th month, sorry until I see a offical announcement from Apple it is blue smoke and mirrors

GeekBoy wrote:

cousintim wrote:

Source for this?

Mine IS listed as the first day of the 24th month, sorry until I see a offical announcement from Apple it is blue smoke and mirrors

13 of 41 (1,770 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 11, 2014 10:38:23 AM
(0)
Employee

From personal experience I've found something similar

There won't be anywhere official because not everyone qualifies for it, namely people who've had their upgrade dates pushed out for poor payment history or similar causes.

But many people who are officially able to upgrade a given day in a month, if they were to check their upgrade options earlier in that same month, it'll have already switched over to 'upgrade eligble now'.

I don't know how this works with AT&T Next.

-Alex

From personal experience I've found something similar

There won't be anywhere official because not everyone qualifies for it, namely people who've had their upgrade dates pushed out for poor payment history or similar causes.

But many people who are officially able to upgrade a given day in a month, if they were to check their upgrade options earlier in that same month, it'll have already switched over to 'upgrade eligble now'.

I don't know how this works with AT&T Next.

-Alex

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

14 of 41 (1,751 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 14, 2014 6:14:58 AM
(0)
Master

There are reports today that Apple is not allowing vacations during some time in September.  This has historically happened and has been an indication of the release of some major product.  Not necessirly the iPhone 6 but most likely it is....

Take all rumors with a grain of salt and I am sure that if ATT is doing the same thing, the employees here may not be able to comment.

There are reports today that Apple is not allowing vacations during some time in September.  This has historically happened and has been an indication of the release of some major product.  Not necessirly the iPhone 6 but most likely it is....

Take all rumors with a grain of salt and I am sure that if ATT is doing the same thing, the employees here may not be able to comment.

Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

15 of 41 (1,652 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 14, 2014 5:04:22 PM
(0)
Tutor

I have also been hearing rumors of the iPhone 6 being released in August.  However, I am going to wait and see what Apple says.  I would love to get an iPhone 6.

I have also been hearing rumors of the iPhone 6 being released in August.  However, I am going to wait and see what Apple says.  I would love to get an iPhone 6.

16 of 41 (1,625 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 14, 2014 5:33:28 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Can't wait. While I will not be getting one, it is still very exciting to see new products released - especially something as beautiful and innovative as the iPhone series. Hopefully the release of the next generation of iPhone will drive down the prices of the iPhone 5 and 5S so that I can replace my iPhone 4 within the next year or so. 2 years strong and 2 years stronger before me...I love it! 

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Can't wait. While I will not be getting one, it is still very exciting to see new products released - especially something as beautiful and innovative as the iPhone series. Hopefully the release of the next generation of iPhone will drive down the prices of the iPhone 5 and 5S so that I can replace my iPhone 4 within the next year or so. 2 years strong and 2 years stronger before me...I love it! 

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010

17 of 41 (1,624 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 14, 2014 6:15:26 PM
(0)
Professor

I can't wait to see it. but i got a 5S 2 about a week ago. i will wait to the ugs and hype die down.

i hope the iphone 6 has a bigger screen.  maybe some new features of some sort.

I can't wait to see it. but i got a 5S 2 about a week ago. i will wait to the ugs and hype die down.

i hope the iphone 6 has a bigger screen.  maybe some new features of some sort.

hello!!!

18 of 41 (1,617 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 15, 2014 1:52:52 PM
(0)
Mentor

Rumor has it that it will have a built-in pencil sharpener and a storage compartment for knitting needles.  Then again, you know rumors...

Rumor has it that it will have a built-in pencil sharpener and a storage compartment for knitting needles.  Then again, you know rumors...

19 of 41 (1,581 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 15, 2014 6:15:11 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Richmond Dan wrote:

That cinches it, my wife will have to have it for the knitting needle compartment.  But wait, will it have special FAA clearance to take it on a plane then since it could be hiding "dangerous weapons" (knitting needles)?

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Richmond Dan wrote:

That cinches it, my wife will have to have it for the knitting needle compartment.  But wait, will it have special FAA clearance to take it on a plane then since it could be hiding "dangerous weapons" (knitting needles)?

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

20 of 41 (1,563 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 16, 2014 8:57:16 AM
(0)
Master

Here is something to think about....  Apple is one of the best companies about creating buzz and focusing on the user experience.

They know full well when everyone bought their iPhone 5's on the initial release day/week and who are probably going to be some of the first ones ready to buy the iPhone 6.  They also know what each carrier has in-terms of upgrade rules and eligibility.  They are not going to release something where a large group of users who are planning to upgrade have to wait.  That is just bad noise and allows time for users to consider other options if they cannot get the iPhone 6 on day 1.   They want that positive pre-order and release day buzz.  

If they release the iPhone 6 in August, they will probably work with the carriers to ensure the iPhone 5 users who bought on the opening week, can upgrade to the 6.  Or more likely, given the vacation blackout in September, will time the release when the upgrade window allows us to buy the iPhone 6.

I stongly beleive that regardless of the release date, purchasers of the iPhone 5, just about 2 years ago, will be allowed to upgrade to the iPhone 6 using the discounted pricing.  I think Apple will see to it for us.  The only twist could be ATT's push to get users to switch to NEXT!  Running the numbers for me shows that NEXT is a ripoff when you look at total cost of ownership!

Here is something to think about....  Apple is one of the best companies about creating buzz and focusing on the user experience.

They know full well when everyone bought their iPhone 5's on the initial release day/week and who are probably going to be some of the first ones ready to buy the iPhone 6.  They also know what each carrier has in-terms of upgrade rules and eligibility.  They are not going to release something where a large group of users who are planning to upgrade have to wait.  That is just bad noise and allows time for users to consider other options if they cannot get the iPhone 6 on day 1.   They want that positive pre-order and release day buzz.  

If they release the iPhone 6 in August, they will probably work with the carriers to ensure the iPhone 5 users who bought on the opening week, can upgrade to the 6.  Or more likely, given the vacation blackout in September, will time the release when the upgrade window allows us to buy the iPhone 6.

I stongly beleive that regardless of the release date, purchasers of the iPhone 5, just about 2 years ago, will be allowed to upgrade to the iPhone 6 using the discounted pricing.  I think Apple will see to it for us.  The only twist could be ATT's push to get users to switch to NEXT!  Running the numbers for me shows that NEXT is a ripoff when you look at total cost of ownership!

21 of 41 (1,532 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 16, 2014 9:25:18 AM
(0)
Expert

youngjm wrote:

why would they do that? It would be a break from all the other iphone release, search the forums for the hundreds of posts/threads complaining about no early upgrade for "dedicated" users. Suspect the Next plan will be the only option for those that want to do that and only if they hit their 12 months, a win win situation for the carrier, since they get the customers phone back for refurbishing and reselling

youngjm wrote:

why would they do that? It would be a break from all the other iphone release, search the forums for the hundreds of posts/threads complaining about no early upgrade for "dedicated" users. Suspect the Next plan will be the only option for those that want to do that and only if they hit their 12 months, a win win situation for the carrier, since they get the customers phone back for refurbishing and reselling

22 of 41 (1,528 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 16, 2014 2:48:33 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Edited by cousintim on May 16, 2014 at 2:49:49 PM

A subsidized iPhone 6 will cost AT&T a little less than $400 each.  Apple has about zero input into AT&T's customer upgrade (read: expense) plans.  The reality, as evidenced by the focus on Next, is that AT&T is weaning its customers off hefty upfront subsidies.  Almost 1/3 of AT&T's customers are now unsubsidized.

A subsidized iPhone 6 will cost AT&T a little less than $400 each.  Apple has about zero input into AT&T's customer upgrade (read: expense) plans.  The reality, as evidenced by the focus on Next, is that AT&T is weaning its customers off hefty upfront subsidies.  Almost 1/3 of AT&T's customers are now unsubsidized.

[ Edited ]
23 of 41 (1,502 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 16, 2014 5:11:18 PM
(0)
Master

wingrider01 wrote:

Those dedicated user issues/complaints are for those who want to upgrade at a subsidized price each year vs the two years that they committed to.  What I am refering to are the customers who upgrade every two years.  If you want to upgrade each year then the Next plans may be for you!

wingrider01 wrote:

Those dedicated user issues/complaints are for those who want to upgrade at a subsidized price each year vs the two years that they committed to.  What I am refering to are the customers who upgrade every two years.  If you want to upgrade each year then the Next plans may be for you!

24 of 41 (1,488 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 16, 2014 8:04:33 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

youngjm wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

If you are on the Mobile Share Value Plan with 10GB or more of data, then the NEXT plan will save you $150 or more over 2 years as compared to purchasing a contract subsidized phone.  It's not a lot, but it's not totally insignificant either.  WIth NEXT 12, your phone is paid off in 20 months, so you get the extra "benefit" of 4 months with no additional payments before your 2 year upgrade time arrives, so your bill is $25-50 lower for those 4 months (depending upon your phone purchase price).  It only costs you more if you are on a Mobile share plan with less than 10GB (or if you are still on one of the discontinued Family plans).

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

youngjm wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

If you are on the Mobile Share Value Plan with 10GB or more of data, then the NEXT plan will save you $150 or more over 2 years as compared to purchasing a contract subsidized phone.  It's not a lot, but it's not totally insignificant either.  WIth NEXT 12, your phone is paid off in 20 months, so you get the extra "benefit" of 4 months with no additional payments before your 2 year upgrade time arrives, so your bill is $25-50 lower for those 4 months (depending upon your phone purchase price).  It only costs you more if you are on a Mobile share plan with less than 10GB (or if you are still on one of the discontinued Family plans).

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

25 of 41 (1,472 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 17, 2014 8:24:32 AM
(0)
Expert

youngjm wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

Naw I don;t need new toys every 2 years, I just upgraded my 3GS les then a year ago, this one is good for 4 or 5 more years

youngjm wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

Naw I don;t need new toys every 2 years, I just upgraded my 3GS les then a year ago, this one is good for 4 or 5 more years

26 of 41 (1,459 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 18, 2014 8:40:15 AM
(0)
Master

This should tell everyone it will be released in September since every year they suspend vacations the month of release to handle the load.

This should tell everyone it will be released in September since every year they suspend vacations the month of release to handle the load.

27 of 41 (1,430 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 19, 2014 7:47:34 AM
(0)
Professor

I for one hope the size rumors are just that, rumors. I have no need or desire to carry a "phablet" around. I'm perfectly happy with the size of the 4s. I might be willing to go to the 5s, but that would be it. I'd sooner switch OS than carry something as big as what they're saying the 6 will be.

I for one hope the size rumors are just that, rumors. I have no need or desire to carry a "phablet" around. I'm perfectly happy with the size of the 4s. I might be willing to go to the 5s, but that would be it. I'd sooner switch OS than carry something as big as what they're saying the 6 will be.

28 of 41 (1,387 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 19, 2014 9:38:27 AM
(0)
Scholar

Max69 wrote:

To each his/her own, but considering that for quite some time Apple had reasoned (i.e, argued) that the screen size used in all iPhone models through the 4S was "ideal" compared to the larger screen sizes used in competing smartphones like the Galaxy...yet here exists the 5 and 5S with slightly-larger screen sizes compared to previous iPhone models.  If Apple considered the screen size in previous iPhones to be ideal, then why did they elect to switch to a slightly-larger screen starting with the 5?

Let's face it--it's only a matter of time before Apple comes out with an iPhone that utilizes a screen larger than that used in the 5/5S...most likely by the rumored August launch.  In this consumer-driven materialistic society, size does matter--look at the proliferation of large (i.e. >55") displays/TVs--in the majority of single-family dwellings, anything over 50" is overkill since most residential viewing areas/rooms are not nearly big enough to justify needing such a large screen in order to "better see" what's being shown on the screen--i.e., does one really need a 60" TV to better see what's going on if the person is sitting just 5-6 feet away from the screen?  Remember when folks used to get by with watching TV on 36" or smaller CRT displays?

Max69 wrote:

To each his/her own, but considering that for quite some time Apple had reasoned (i.e, argued) that the screen size used in all iPhone models through the 4S was "ideal" compared to the larger screen sizes used in competing smartphones like the Galaxy...yet here exists the 5 and 5S with slightly-larger screen sizes compared to previous iPhone models.  If Apple considered the screen size in previous iPhones to be ideal, then why did they elect to switch to a slightly-larger screen starting with the 5?

Let's face it--it's only a matter of time before Apple comes out with an iPhone that utilizes a screen larger than that used in the 5/5S...most likely by the rumored August launch.  In this consumer-driven materialistic society, size does matter--look at the proliferation of large (i.e. >55") displays/TVs--in the majority of single-family dwellings, anything over 50" is overkill since most residential viewing areas/rooms are not nearly big enough to justify needing such a large screen in order to "better see" what's being shown on the screen--i.e., does one really need a 60" TV to better see what's going on if the person is sitting just 5-6 feet away from the screen?  Remember when folks used to get by with watching TV on 36" or smaller CRT displays?

29 of 41 (1,377 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 19, 2014 12:58:41 PM
(0)
Mentor

Just got a tip from a friend at Apple:  iPhone 6 will have emergency fold-out aluminum foil hat...

Just got a tip from a friend at Apple:  iPhone 6 will have emergency fold-out aluminum foil hat...

30 of 41 (1,359 Views)