For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The new iPhone 15
THX1965's profile

Mentor

• 

17 Messages

Sunday, February 19th, 2017 7:44 PM

Closed

Device Unlock Error - AT&T says IMEI number doesn't match a compatible device

I can't unlock my iPhone 6 (which is out of contract) because AT&T claim the IMEI number dosn't match a compatible device. This is the error message that I have been getting 3 times in a row:

"Your unlock request was denied because the IMEI number doesn’t match a device that’s compatible with the AT&T network.

Check the IMEI number by dialing *#06#, or check the device settings, and then submit a new request."

This is of course nonsense, since I have been using my iPhone on the AT&T network for 2 years. I triple checked the IMEI number and it is correct. The device gives me the same correct number either when I look it up through device settings or when I dial *#06#.  This iPhone - purchased through Apple and activated through AT&T - was on a 2-year plan and is now paid off.

I really need to unlock this phone. Customer service can't or won't help. Why can't this issue not be fixed by a simple phone call?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Markus

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

I am presently going through a similar situation. My iPhones were both replaced at a point through insurance and when I requested the unlock, my IMEI number wasn’t recognized on the system. I called ATT, they went through the steps, “unlocked” my phone and said that it was good to go. Took both phones to Sprint and they’re saying that only one phone is unlocked. Turns out my phone isn’t saying that I have a “financial obligation” which isn’t true. I have called ATT 6 times, they continue to blame it on Sprint. Stating that they’re doing something wrong with the “switch.” I don’t want to keep the phone. Sprint is offering $350 for a trade on my phone and I want to take advantage. I’ve been to the Sprint store so many times, the manager has basically stated that I don’t need to return as there’s nothing left for them to do. PLEASE SOMEONE HELP! 

Explorer

• 

12 Messages

6 years ago

I have the same problem, I sent the message to Attcares, but the problem is not solved

It is possible that the iphone has been sold, but no IMEI has been updated in the ATT system, so it has failed to unlock

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

I am not sure. The last representative was adamant that it’s unlocked but Sprint states it’s not and therefore they cannot buyback my 1 iPhone until it has been unlocked with ATT. I even thought I could sell the phone back to ATT and they only offered $125 and Sprint is giving $350 towards a trade. I am truly at a loss. How would I go about sending my issue over to attcares? Thank you 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

This issue is persisting. I am having the same problem. I have filed a complaint, but expect a resolution. ATT?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

Hello there I have paid my iPhone when I upgraded iPhone eight and they charge me $170 what Phil my phone is locked when I checked tells me please check your installment fee called AT&T couple times no help I’m really disappointed 

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

6 years ago

@khajag88

If you are not using the iPhone 6 on your line, you should not request the unlock with your account and phone number as it checks you account and sees the new phone and Next installments. 

Request as a non customer.   

There is a delay between billing and unlock portal.  If it’s been less than 2 weeks since you paid off your phone, call ATT and ask for loyalty or advanced tech support and request they push through the unlock.  Quote the CTIA agreement if necessary 

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

That’s a list of reasons the system doesn’t work, not a solution to get it unlocked. AT&T should simply unlock phones when the plan finishes...

understanding all of the above what is the correct resource to get the phone unlocked

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

6 years ago

@unimpressedBob wrote:

That’s a list of reasons the system doesn’t work, not a solution to get it unlocked. AT&T should simply unlock phones when the plan finishes...

understanding all of the above what is the correct resource to get the phone unlocked

Agreed.

What we have to accept is ATT, Sprint and T-mobile have no interest in making it easy for us to leave, despite agreeing to unlock our phones once financial obligations are complete.  

We have options:  pay full price rather than finance.  Buy a phone that is unlocked out of the box.  

If you pay for the 0% financing over 24 to 30 months, you encumber yourself with both the debt and the unlock policy.  

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

I'm not an AT&T customer... how to get in contact with ATTCares? Anyone has it mail address?

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

I talked with Customer service for 30 minutes, they couldn't help me. Spent plenty of time trying to up sell me. They told me because I bought the phone in an AT&T store, I should go back to them...underly ridiculous. I filed a complaint with the FCC (https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us?return_to=%2Fhc%2Frequests) lets see where it goes. Not the best experience for a customer of 10 years.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.