Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Re: iPhone 6 Device Unlock Error - AT&T says IMEI number doesn't match a compatible device

Mentor

iPhone 6 Device Unlock Error - AT&T says IMEI number doesn't match a compatible device

I can't unlock my iPhone 6 (which is out of contract) because AT&T claim the IMEI number dosn't match a compatible device. This is the error message that I have been getting 3 times in a row:

"Your unlock request was denied because the IMEI number doesn’t match a device that’s compatible with the AT&T network.

Check the IMEI number by dialing *#06#, or check the device settings, and then submit a new request."

This is of course nonsense, since I have been using my iPhone on the AT&T network for 2 years. I triple checked the IMEI number and it is correct. The device gives me the same correct number either when I look it up through device settings or when I dial *#06#.  This iPhone - purchased through Apple and activated through AT&T - was on a 2-year plan and is now paid off.

I really need to unlock this phone. Customer service can't or won't help. Why can't this issue not be fixed by a simple phone call?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Markus

Message 1 of 159
Highlighted
ACE - Sage
Solution
Accepted by ACE - Sage (ACE - Sage)
Accepted by lizdance40
‎10-21-2017 9:25 AM

Re: iPhone 6 Device Unlock Error - AT&T says IMEI number doesn't match a compatible device

For those who are being sent in circles....

1.   The IMEI doesn’t register on ATT until you activate and use the device on ATT.  

2.   If you bought a prepaid phone, you cannot get it unlocked without the required 6 months on ATT.  The past loop hole is closed on these lower priced phones and ATT will not make an exception.

3.   iPads are not locked.  

4.   If you bought a full priced phone (not prepaid) for $650+ then:  A. If you wanted unlocked you are disadvantaged buying a carrier branded phone.  And B. You will have to jump through hoops with Support here @ATTCares by private message to unlock it now.  Expect to provide proof of purchase.

5.  iphone are only unlocked and sim free if you buy direct from Apple and request the Sim free version.   Best Buy does not sell unlocked iPhones.  

6.  If your phone was replaced by insurance or warranty the IMEI may not have been replaced in the ATT system.  You can ask ATT to correct this and backdate, so your replacement is eligible as the original would have been.  

I hope I covered all the various reasons you might get this particular message.

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 131 of 159
Contributor

I am presently going through a similar situation. My iPhones were both replaced at a point through insurance and when I requested the unlock, my IMEI number wasn’t recognized on the system. I called ATT, they went through the steps, “unlocked” my phone and said that it was good to go. Took both phones to Sprint and they’re saying that only one phone is unlocked. Turns out my phone isn’t saying that I have a “financial obligation” which isn’t true. I have called ATT 6 times, they continue to blame it on Sprint. Stating that they’re doing something wrong with the “switch.” I don’t want to keep the phone. Sprint is offering $350 for a trade on my phone and I want to take advantage. I’ve been to the Sprint store so many times, the manager has basically stated that I don’t need to return as there’s nothing left for them to do. PLEASE SOMEONE HELP! 

Message 132 of 159

I have the same problem, I sent the message to Attcares, but the problem is not solved

It is possible that the iphone has been sold, but no IMEI has been updated in the ATT system, so it has failed to unlock

Message 133 of 159
Contributor

I am not sure. The last representative was adamant that it’s unlocked but Sprint states it’s not and therefore they cannot buyback my 1 iPhone until it has been unlocked with ATT. I even thought I could sell the phone back to ATT and they only offered $125 and Sprint is giving $350 towards a trade. I am truly at a loss. How would I go about sending my issue over to attcares? Thank you 

Message 134 of 159
Contributor

This issue is persisting. I am having the same problem. I have filed a complaint, but expect a resolution. ATT?

Message 135 of 159
Contributor

Hello there I have paid my iPhone when I upgraded iPhone eight and they charge me $170 what Phil my phone is locked when I checked tells me please check your installment fee called AT&T couple times no help I’m really disappointed 

Message 136 of 159
ACE - Sage

@khajag88

If you are not using the iPhone 6 on your line, you should not request the unlock with your account and phone number as it checks you account and sees the new phone and Next installments. 

Request as a non customer.   

There is a delay between billing and unlock portal.  If it’s been less than 2 weeks since you paid off your phone, call ATT and ask for loyalty or advanced tech support and request they push through the unlock.  Quote the CTIA agreement if necessary 

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 137 of 159

That’s a list of reasons the system doesn’t work, not a solution to get it unlocked. AT&T should simply unlock phones when the plan finishes...

understanding all of the above what is the correct resource to get the phone unlocked

Message 138 of 159
ACE - Sage

@unimpressedBob wrote:

That’s a list of reasons the system doesn’t work, not a solution to get it unlocked. AT&T should simply unlock phones when the plan finishes...

understanding all of the above what is the correct resource to get the phone unlocked

Agreed.

What we have to accept is ATT, Sprint and T-mobile have no interest in making it easy for us to leave, despite agreeing to unlock our phones once financial obligations are complete.  

We have options:  pay full price rather than finance.  Buy a phone that is unlocked out of the box.  

If you pay for the 0% financing over 24 to 30 months, you encumber yourself with both the debt and the unlock policy.  

Message 139 of 159
Contributor

I'm not an AT&T customer... how to get in contact with ATTCares? Anyone has it mail address?

Message 140 of 159
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Do you need to fix, replace or track a device? We Can Help With That!

Additional Support