The new iPhone 15
THX1965's profile

Mentor

• 

17 Messages

Sunday, February 19th, 2017 7:44 PM

Closed

Device Unlock Error - AT&T says IMEI number doesn't match a compatible device

I can't unlock my iPhone 6 (which is out of contract) because AT&T claim the IMEI number dosn't match a compatible device. This is the error message that I have been getting 3 times in a row:

"Your unlock request was denied because the IMEI number doesn’t match a device that’s compatible with the AT&T network.

Check the IMEI number by dialing *#06#, or check the device settings, and then submit a new request."

This is of course nonsense, since I have been using my iPhone on the AT&T network for 2 years. I triple checked the IMEI number and it is correct. The device gives me the same correct number either when I look it up through device settings or when I dial *#06#.  This iPhone - purchased through Apple and activated through AT&T - was on a 2-year plan and is now paid off.

I really need to unlock this phone. Customer service can't or won't help. Why can't this issue not be fixed by a simple phone call?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Markus

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

Unlocking works! AT&T: We’ve approved your request to unlock your device.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

I am in the process of filing an FCC Complaint as it has been over a week since my initial request for unlocking. This needs to be spread to the news media for actual changes to occur.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

Same issue here. Requested an unlock 2 weeks ago through an AT&T representative. Denied. Put in request for unlock yesterday. Denied. Considering I paid off my phone AND am already out of the country I could not be more dissatisfied with the service. I can't even call anyone to resolve the issue.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

I am having the same issue, so I have also followed suite with some others to expidite a solution: https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us/requests.  The rep I spoke to did not havea  clue as to why my intial request was denied when I asked and said it may have been an issue with the retailer I purchased the phone from even though I purchased directly through an AT&T store.  He simply resubmitted my request however, I have 0 confidence after reading this thread that I will be approved for the unlock.

For the record I am extremely dissatisifed with AT&T.  I am a long time customer that has there old style unlimited plan however, after two consecutive years of increases on this plan while also taking away the subsidized phone benefit I am taking two lines to a new carrier.  Thanks ATT for finally pushing me to save money...Your existing customers will only stay complacent for so long as you increase prices and reduce customer service! 

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

I, too, am having the same issues as all of you who've posted here.  I tried today twice to follow the online process of unlocking my phone with my request denied for information not matching my account. I called AT&T and spoke to a customer service rep who verified my IMEI number, account, etc. and STILL my request was denied a third time.  I then called AT&T back and talked to two different reps who were of no help and had me on hold for a total of 55 minutes until I hung up.  I can't believe the amount of time and effort to do such a simple task.  What is their problem?  

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

7 years ago

Same issue here with both my phone and a family member's. Phone is paid for and locked to AT&T. Customer Service gave me the transfer runaround and hung up on me twice. I was denied through the online process saying the IMEI # didn't match...which is bull since I purchased the phone through AT&T. I direct messaged them through here and got a response, so we'll see if anything happens. That was 4 days ago. My family member was actually told by Customer Service that only Apple could unlock her phone. LOL What? 

I have the orginal grandfathered unlimited plan from 2007 that they've been trying to push me off of for years and have raised the rate for the last 2 years. Well, they're getting their wish. I'm moving off that plan, straight to another carrier who offers unlimited everything for much cheaper. 

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

Hello all:

Just give you an update on my unlocking ordeal. So 7 days ago I was told by AT&T that my phones weren't bought at AT&T and they could do nothing to help me. I called many times, used chat and twitter. Then we went to our local AT&T store and we were treated like garbage. So bad that I wrote a physical letter to every manager and corporate. I then wrote a true statement on Facebook about what's going on. The "social media team" kept messaging saying they will help get it fixed and told me to call them. Every time I would call back no one would answer. I was dealing with three different people. No one knew what was going on. My frustration level was going through the roof. I finally put in a complaint at the FCC. The next day I received an email saying that my phones will be unlocked within three days. It still took them seven but as of last night both of my phones were unlocked. It took forever and AT&T has the worst customer service I have any company I've ever dealt with. I will never ever go back to them and I will make sure that all my friends and family never support them either.
I wish you all luck on getting your device is unlocked. Please write into the FCC right on their website. Keep messaging and calling AT&T. Don't give up. Don't pay for someone on the outside to unlock the device. They should be doing it for free.
Good luck to all!

##Please type your reply above this line -##

Sent from my iPhone

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

7 years ago

That is absolutely ridiculous that you have to go through that much trouble. I just got my 2nd denial. This time it's because my account holder information doesn't match their records. Right. I'm the only account holder on an almost 10 year old account.  

Mentor

• 

41 Messages

7 years ago

Same issue for me. I can't unlock my three iPhones. Getting denied with the " Your unlock request was denied because the account information doesn’t match our records" message. My phones are paid off since Nov 2016, no new installments and good standing account for 7 years. I already scalated my case and got yesterday a Case ID # but still not getting the call back from the representative asigned to my case. I already sent  two PM to @ATTMobilityCare with all my info but haven't get any response yet. This is very frustating!!! 

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

Same as me! They never called or helped until I made a complaint against AT&T and then wrote my complaint on Facebook and Twitter: magically they called and my phones are unlocked.
So sad to go through all of that for something they should have completed in 2 minutes.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.