The new iPhone 15
T. Lynn's profile

Scholar

• 

153 Messages

Wednesday, September 26th, 2012 11:17 PM

iPhone 5 not showing home wifi

My boyfriend and I both have iphone 3gs and automatically connect to our home wifi upon entering the house.

With my new iphone 5, the home network is not showing up. It shows as 4g but when I go under wifi, it's turned on but not listed under the "choose a network" even though our 3gs in the house are connected.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Scholar

• 

153 Messages

12 years ago

For anyone having the same problem, it must have been a phone issue because I was able to swap out my phone today at Apple and the new one has picked up my home wifi and other connections when I'm out. YAY!

ACE - Master

• 

10.3K Messages

12 years ago

Is your router broadcasting it's SSID (name)?  If it's sent up not to broadcast, you won't find it in the list.  However, it is still there and you can manually enter the name.  Select other and enter the same network name that's on your 3GS.

Scholar

• 

153 Messages

12 years ago

It is set up to broadcast because I was able to select it when I connect for the first time with my 3gs. I manuallly entered the name but it says "could not find the network"

Professor

• 

2.1K Messages

12 years ago

Try unplugging the router, waiting 30 seconds and plugging it back in. Sometimes if a router is on for an extended period of time it'll stop allowing new connections. Devices already connected continue to work but new devices can't see it.

Master

• 

7.1K Messages

12 years ago

Let's try a few things as I had some similar issues in the beggining.  

1. Reboot your iPhones by holding the home key and the on/off button for 8 to 10 seconds until you see the Apple logo.  - this worked for me.

2. Reset your network settings - Settings>General>Reset>Reset Network Settings. (You will need to re-enter any wifi hotspot passwords.)

Good Luck!

Scholar

• 

153 Messages

12 years ago

I have tried both of those and my network still does not show 😞

Scholar

• 

153 Messages

12 years ago

Just doesn't make sense since it shows up in our other 2 phones but not my brand new one.

Master

• 

7.1K Messages

12 years ago

Can you connect to other wifi networks elsewhere?  It may be a hardware issue?

Scholar

• 

153 Messages

12 years ago

I'm going to check tomorrow morning at work since we have wifi there. Thanks, I'll keep updating but I noticed on the web there seems to be a lot of issues related to this and the new iphone 5.

Scholar

• 

153 Messages

12 years ago

Ok, so I tested a few things:

* While driving down the road, my 3gs showed some available networks while my iphone 5 showed none

* At work, they are sitting side by side at my desk and my 3gs shows networks available while my iphone 5 shows none

* I move to the cafeteria (within my work) and then my iphone 5 does pick up a couple of the networks but my 3gs shows even more that are available

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.