The new iPhone 15
MisisMags's profile

Teacher

• 

7 Messages

Sunday, October 7th, 2012 12:22 AM

iPhone 5 no signal/ low signal/ EDGE

I've never had any problems with my older iphone models but ever since I switched to 5, I keep getting low signals, no signal at all, and when it does find signal it goes to EDGE.

I called ATT and the only thing they told me was to try resetting he network settings (did not help) or exchanging my probably "defective" iphone 5. But since it's so hard to get one, I am not about to exchange it when clearly the problem is their signal and not the handheld itself (works perfectly fine when I'm connected to y wifi at home).

I live in Albuquerque, NM and as far as I know we still do not have 4G LTE here. I tried turning off the LTE since it's practically unuseable to me right now. CSR told me that my iphone is provisioned right on their network but I'm wondering since if we don't even have 4g LTE here, shouldn't they just switch me back to regular iphone 3G connections? Or do I HAVE to be on the 4G LTE regardless?

CSR also told me she's sending me a new sim card to see if that helps. Hopefully it will because it's very very frustrating right now. ATT plans are not cheap and I want to get my money's worth!!

Thanks in advance for any input or suggestions on how I can self-fix this.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I had a similar problem...I just went from the 3GS to the 5 a few weeks ago.  I struggled with my 3GS at work, so I was not surprised to have the same struggle with the 5.  I didn't think much of it until I started having major problems at other areas around town (Denver metro area) in which I never had connection issues with the 3GS.  The kicker for me was at a coffee shop in Conifer yesterday, where my husband (with a 4S) had blazing connection speeds on 4G and I was vacillating between NO BARS/SIGNAL to the Edge network, even when the phones were side by side.  I emailed the service person from whom I purchased my phone, and she suggested I turn off the LTE option for the phone(Settings>General>Cellular>Enable LTE>Choose OFF).  This has worked like a CHARM.  I've had a great signal all day today at work.  My service rep said this is a known issue with the iPhone 5 and Apple is working to fix it.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I'm having the exact same problem in Indiana. I've always had poor service in my office (I work in the basement of the building) so it was nothing new that when I got the iPhone 5 I couldn't make phone calls. However, I noticed it would default to the Edge network in my office. When I leave the office the phone stays on the Edge network. I was rebooting the phone to fix the problem, but found that putting it in airplane mode and back fixed it as well. I get perfect 4G service at my house and get good service in general, unless the phone switches to E, in which case I can't connect back to 4G or LTE. It's very frustrating when I'm out and about and have to put it into airplane mode for 15 seconds and back. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I have to agree I think Apple is very aware of this issue and they are going to pacify us till our warranty runs out then we are stuck with these crappy phones till we can upgrade again. I don't think I will upgrade to anymore iPhones which I did love my iPhones till I got the iPhone 5 I hate this one 😞

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I have had this issue with my Iphone 5 and my 5s. The only thing that has worked is turning the phone off, removing the SIM card. Turning the phone back on and resetting the network settings. Turn the phone BACK off to replace the SIM card and turning back on. Should fix after the phone has started up completely. 

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

I followed some instructions provided by another writer and turned off the LTE and sure enough I got a much better signal! I'm in town at work so it will be interesting to see if I get a strong signal at home in the country!

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

Worked for me, too!!! Thanks for posting!Cat Very Happy

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

I'm having the same issue. Never had a problem with my Blackberry. I called for tech support and it was "fixed", but once indoors, still having the same issue. I was told to toggle airplane mode if problem persists.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.