The new iPhone 15
MisisMags's profile

Teacher

• 

7 Messages

Sunday, October 7th, 2012 12:22 AM

iPhone 5 no signal/ low signal/ EDGE

I've never had any problems with my older iphone models but ever since I switched to 5, I keep getting low signals, no signal at all, and when it does find signal it goes to EDGE.

I called ATT and the only thing they told me was to try resetting he network settings (did not help) or exchanging my probably "defective" iphone 5. But since it's so hard to get one, I am not about to exchange it when clearly the problem is their signal and not the handheld itself (works perfectly fine when I'm connected to y wifi at home).

I live in Albuquerque, NM and as far as I know we still do not have 4G LTE here. I tried turning off the LTE since it's practically unuseable to me right now. CSR told me that my iphone is provisioned right on their network but I'm wondering since if we don't even have 4g LTE here, shouldn't they just switch me back to regular iphone 3G connections? Or do I HAVE to be on the 4G LTE regardless?

CSR also told me she's sending me a new sim card to see if that helps. Hopefully it will because it's very very frustrating right now. ATT plans are not cheap and I want to get my money's worth!!

Thanks in advance for any input or suggestions on how I can self-fix this.

Mentor

• 

88 Messages

11 years ago

@gphipps wrote:
Just because the phone works fine on wi-fi doesn't mean it's not defective. Wi-fi and cell use 2 different radios.

If the SIM card doesn't fix it I'd look at the phone itself. Do you know someone with another iPhone that could try theirs at your location?

I second the notion that it's probably the phone.  Shortly after getting my 1st 3GS, it would struggle just to get E and never find 3G.  After a couple of resets, trips to AT&T for new sim, none of which helped, Apple replaced the phone and I never had trouble again.  The OP's symptoms should identical, albeit a completely different phone.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I've got the same issue in Minneapolis.

Yesterday, I had 4G with 4 and 5 bars.

Today, Edge or No Service.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

Apple store isnt supposed to admitt of any issues or read there own support threads.
My friend had his Firmware reinstalled by Apple and they said it will "definitely" fix wifi and connection problems or they will replace it. DIDN'T WORK. Got phone replaced by an incredibly rude " Genious" and we asked if its going to fix the problem and he snidely said " of course, it's not like its a huge problem".
Still having problems. It's basically a dead end. Nothing works. Crappy phone. You'll have to wait for the next update and hope it gets resolved.

Professor

• 

2K Messages

11 years ago

Does anyone know if the Microcell units work on the iPhone 5? They're supposed to be very helpful in cases where cell reception is bad inside the home.

Teacher

• 

22 Messages

11 years ago

@BrianneRene wrote:

I am having the exact same problem. I had the 3S and never had a single problem with reception. Now my phone has 1 bar or no service, can't send texts from my home or work, and drops calls like crazy. I called ATT, they said it's the phone, I went to Apple, they exchanged the phone, but told me it was the service. I went to the ATT store (because changing the phone out didn't fix anything) where they gave me a new SIM card. And I still have no service. I'd call ATT customer service, but I can't make any phone calls.

The guy at Apple said it's not a known issue--but I'm really hoping they realize there's obviously something going on. It seems like when I'm anywhere where there's wi-fi I have no signal.

Me too.

There is "4G" where I live, phone works fine when above ground. As soon as I go into my basement, where the signal isn't as strong, phone drops to Edge. It then won't come out of Edge unless I power-cycle it.

Let me see how bad this gets (I'll be in an LTE area next week). If I can't do any better than this I'll return the phone and go back to my Blackberry. I'm really loathe to go to an Apple store or to ask ATT for a replacement, I have a feeling that will only make things worse.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I live in NJ. I've had every version of the iPhone. iPhone 5 is the worst. I'm still trying to decipher if the problem is the phone or the AT&T network. At times I'll have no bars. And I'll have to shut the phone off & turn it back on just to get the bars & 4G back. I don't use the LTE because it drains the battery. Another thing I've noticed is that I don't get all my text messages & voicemail notices, at times, hours late. Please help! SIM card change before exchanging the iphone out? PLEASE HELP!

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

I totally agree I have had so many problems with the exact same thing you reference.  Lost signal, low signal, dropped calls, have to restart phone just to get signal back.  Sometimes it goes off for hours at work before I become aware of it.

Battery life is also low.  I am tired of being told of all of the things I need to turn off or modify to conserve battery power.

My Phone 4 had a much better battery and a much better signal strength.

So, I go to Apple today and get a new phone.  Same issues.

I call att&t and they are now having to send me a microcell tower 3g tower so I can get the same service in my condo that I received before with Iphone 4. [Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

I have the exact same issue and everyone I know around here who has one does. I would suspect the combo chips and stuff being the flaw and ATT's equation request for signal calculations in order to brand the other iPhones with 4G are the culprits. Maybe a software update will fix it. I love everything else about my iPhones. But, rest assured, you are not the only one with this issue.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

@MisisMags wrote:

I've never had any problems with my older iphone models but ever since I switched to 5, I keep getting low signals, no signal at all, and when it does find signal it goes to EDGE.

I called ATT and the only thing they told me was to try resetting he network settings (did not help) or exchanging my probably "defective" iphone 5. But since it's so hard to get one, I am not about to exchange it when clearly the problem is their signal and not the handheld itself (works perfectly fine when I'm connected to y wifi at home).

I live in Albuquerque, NM and as far as I know we still do not have 4G LTE here. I tried turning off the LTE since it's practically unuseable to me right now. CSR told me that my iphone is provisioned right on their network but I'm wondering since if we don't even have 4g LTE here, shouldn't they just switch me back to regular iphone 3G connections? Or do I HAVE to be on the 4G LTE regardless?

CSR also told me she's sending me a new sim card to see if that helps. Hopefully it will because it's very very frustrating right now. ATT plans are not cheap and I want to get my money's worth!!

Thanks in advance for any input or suggestions on how I can self-fix this.

I have the exact same issue and everyone I know around here who has one does. I would suspect the combo chips and stuff being the flaw and ATT's equation request for signal calculations in order to brand the other iPhones with 4G are the culprits. Maybe a software update will fix it. I love everything else about my iPhones. But, rest assured, you are not the only one with this issue.

Professor

• 

2K Messages

11 years ago

I had some issues as mentioned for a few weeks. I called AT&T, they told me they'd check into it and, within a couple of days I got a text message saying the issue had been resolved. Sure enough, no problems since. I still don't know what happened but I'm glad it was taken care of.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.