The new iPhone 15
nkaufman's profile

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

Monday, January 14th, 2013 3:44 AM

iPhone 5 VM Greeting Question

Hello,

Just got my first iPhone (iPhone 5) and was wondering if there is a way to set up Default Greeting to give out name (which I can record) instead of phone number that it gives out? Or do I have to create a custom greeting from scratch?

Thanks,

Master

• 

5.1K Messages

11 years ago

If you are using the iPhones Visual Voicemail feature, this set up link should help you. http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB80510#fbid=pbbIvQOyP1q

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

11 years ago

Thank you for the link which however is to set up Visual VM and does not seem to address the issue of Greeting w/Name instead of Phone Number.

Master

• 

5.1K Messages

11 years ago

@nkaufman wrote:

Thank you for the link which however is to set up Visual VM and does not seem to address the issue of Greeting w/Name instead of Phone Number.

What happens when you get to step #'s 7&8? This should be where you enter your name.

7. Device prompts to either keep the default greeting (mobile number) or specify a custom greeting. 

8. To setup a custom greeting, tap Custom.

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

11 years ago

Custom Greeting is NOT default greeting with Name. There is a difference.

When I was at Verizon, I had Verizon's custom greeting with only my name (in my voice). Something like office voicemail greeting.

Let me know if you have any confusion and I will try and explain in more detail.

Master

• 

5.1K Messages

11 years ago

@nkaufman wrote:

When I was at Verizon, I had Verizon's custom greeting with only my name (in my voice). Something like office voicemail greeting.

Let me know if you have any confusion and I will try and explain in more detail.

I don't think AT&T's Visual Voice mail is the same as Verizon as far as their options are concerned. When I open the voice mail on my iPhone 5 and click on "Greeting" at the top left, I see 2 options "Default" (wireless number), and "Custom" (your own personal greeting).... With AT&T's regular non- visual VM there is an option to use just your name, however, VVM seems to be set up differently.... What you could do as a work around and still have your name is to create your own custom greeting and say something like "This is Howard Smith, please leave me a message and I'll poet back to you shortly". This way, your name is there at least....

Hope this helps somewhat. 🙂

Scholar

• 

397 Messages

11 years ago

@nkaufman wrote:

Then why bother asking if a custom greeting had to be created from scratch, given that it seems that you're fairly insistent upon inquiring if it's possible to change the default greeting?  Also, you offer that "custom greeting is NOT default greeting with name"--well, "Verizon's custom greeting with only my name (in my voice)" is not a "default greeting with name" either, so I don't get your point.  Funny how you offer that custom greeting is not default greeting with name, yet you use the words "custom greeting" in describing a feature found in Verizon in describing as to how it's possible to change the "default" greeting from number to name.

So let me see if I got this straight--you're saying that "custom greeting" is not "default greeting with name"...but somehow "(Verizon's) custom greeting with only (your) name (in your voice)" would be considered a "default greeting with name"?  So a custom greeting is not a default greeting with name--except when (you say) it is a default greeting with name...yeah I'm confused too.

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

11 years ago

So, let's see.

You have no information to provide on the question asked. You have absolutely no input that would assist in this.

The only reason you have posted is to crap on other people's post. Nice. Keep it up. Seems you have a lot of time on your hands but please crap on some other thread and not this one.

If you cannot provide any info then this thread is not for you.

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

11 years ago

@drumn_bass wrote:

With any phone on AT&T, while using standard voicemail system, there will be 3 greeting options:

1. Default with number.

2. Default with recorded name.

3. Custom recorded message.

...Except the iPhone's visual voicemail, which only allows option 1 and 3, the reason is unknown to me, but I will note that it's the same with Verizon.

Dear OP, I'm sorry you're not getting the answer you're looking for. Your answer is no, there is no way to have a default greeting with name on iPhone with visual voicemail. Obviously there is an option to record a whole custom greeting, or if you really want a default greeting with name you have an option to switch from visual voicemail to a standart one (dial in type).

Hope this info helps.

d.

This is perfect. Your reply with options 1 thru 3 show that you knew exactly what I am talking about. Hopefully jane697 will learn something from this.

Thanks a lot for this info. Does seem quite weird that Apple would take away this fucntionality from Visual VM but keep it for regular VM.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.