The new iPhone 15
AirbudH's profile

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

Sunday, September 30th, 2012 11:20 PM

iPhone 5 Text Message Confusion

I have an iPhone 5.  I upgraded from a 3 GS.  ATT to ATT with no change of phone number or service.  My wife has an iPhone 4 (for a couple of years).  Text messages sent to my new iPhone 5 go to her iPhone 4 and not my iPhone 5.  She is not set as a recipient of these text messages.  Any ideas?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

11 years ago

If the misdirected texts are originating from an iPhone, it could be an iMessage issue. 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

7.4K Messages

11 years ago

@sandblaster wrote:

If the misdirected texts are originating from an iPhone, it could be an iMessage issue. 

This is the first thing I would have checked also.  All the way at the top of the coversation where the date timestamp is; it should state whether they are "Text Message" or "iMessage" conversations.   Also if you reply to the messages that are being directed to the wrong iPhone, are the reply messages showing in a green bubble or a blue bubble?

If they are in a blue bubble its a iMessage; if in a green bubble its a Text Message.

If iMessage I would check your settings;

Settings > Messages >Send & Receive .. Is your Apple ID correct and your "..reached by iMessages at:" set correctly? (correct phone number and your email that is seperate from your wifes).  If you both have the same email set that can cause issues.

If it is text messages I would call ATT and have them verify they have the correct IMEI and ICCID set in their system for each of your lines so they match with your phone numbers you and your wife are using.

Settings > General > About.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

It is an iMessage issue.  I turned off the iMessage option on both phones for a short term fix.  Thanks all for the help.

Scholar

• 

338 Messages

11 years ago

Call AT&T

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@AirbudH wrote:

It is an iMessage issue.  I turned off the iMessage option on both phones for a short term fix.  Thanks all for the help.

sounds like you are using the same Itunes logon for all the phones, this is the common cause of that issue

Scholar

• 

397 Messages

11 years ago

@wingrider01 wrote:

@AirbudH wrote:

sounds like you are using the same Itunes logon for all the phones, this is the common cause of that issue

I assume the above applies only when another iMessage user not on the same iTunes account as the OP sends an iMessage to the OP who may or may not just happen to have multiple iPhones logged in under the same iTunes account?  I ask because I have three iPhones all logged into the same iTunes account and I have no issues similar to the OP when sending/receiving iMessages between any of my three iPhones.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@jane697 wrote:

@wingrider01 wrote:

@AirbudH wrote:

I assume the above applies only when another iMessage user not on the same iTunes account as the OP sends an iMessage to the OP who may or may not just happen to have multiple iPhones logged in under the same iTunes account?  I ask because I have three iPhones all logged into the same iTunes account and I have no issues similar to the OP when sending/receiving iMessages between any of my three iPhones.

If they all have the same enail address associated this will happen, take a look here on associating different email addresses to the same itunes account shared on multiple devices. Imessage and facetime sends via the associated itunes email address, turning off imessage forces it to send as a regular sms message that utilzies the cell phone number

http://lifehacker.com/5849916/the-ins-and-outs-of-using-imessage-on-multiple-devices

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.