iPhone 5 Text Message Confusion

Highlighted
Tutor

iPhone 5 Text Message Confusion

I have an iPhone 5.  I upgraded from a 3 GS.  ATT to ATT with no change of phone number or service.  My wife has an iPhone 4 (for a couple of years).  Text messages sent to my new iPhone 5 go to her iPhone 4 and not my iPhone 5.  She is not set as a recipient of these text messages.  Any ideas?

Message 1 of 8 (27,128 Views)
Scholar

Re: iPhone 5 Text Message Confusion

Call AT&T
Message 2 of 8 (27,067 Views)
ACE - Master
Solution
Accepted by Planet-Ed (Master)
‎09-30-2015 1:39 AM

Re: iPhone 5 Text Message Confusion

If the misdirected texts are originating from an iPhone, it could be an iMessage issue. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 8 (27,054 Views)
Master
Solution
Accepted by Planet-Ed (Master)
‎09-30-2015 1:39 AM

Re: iPhone 5 Text Message Confusion

[ Edited ]

sandblaster wrote:

If the misdirected texts are originating from an iPhone, it could be an iMessage issue. 


This is the first thing I would have checked also.  All the way at the top of the coversation where the date timestamp is; it should state whether they are "Text Message" or "iMessage" conversations.   Also if you reply to the messages that are being directed to the wrong iPhone, are the reply messages showing in a green bubble or a blue bubble?

If they are in a blue bubble its a iMessage; if in a green bubble its a Text Message.

 

If iMessage I would check your settings;

Settings > Messages >Send & Receive .. Is your Apple ID correct and your "..reached by iMessages at:" set correctly? (correct phone number and your email that is seperate from your wifes).  If you both have the same email set that can cause issues.

 

If it is text messages I would call ATT and have them verify they have the correct IMEI and ICCID set in their system for each of your lines so they match with your phone numbers you and your wife are using.

Settings > General > About.

Message 4 of 8 (27,025 Views)
Tutor
Solution
Accepted by Planet-Ed (Master)
‎09-30-2015 1:39 AM

Re: iPhone 5 Text Message Confusion

It is an iMessage issue.  I turned off the iMessage option on both phones for a short term fix.  Thanks all for the help.

Message 5 of 8 (26,922 Views)
Expert

Re: iPhone 5 Text Message Confusion


AirbudH wrote:

It is an iMessage issue.  I turned off the iMessage option on both phones for a short term fix.  Thanks all for the help.


sounds like you are using the same Itunes logon for all the phones, this is the common cause of that issue

Message 6 of 8 (26,916 Views)
Scholar

Re: iPhone 5 Text Message Confusion


wingrider01 wrote:

AirbudH wrote:

It is an iMessage issue.  I turned off the iMessage option on both phones for a short term fix.  Thanks all for the help.


sounds like you are using the same Itunes logon for all the phones, this is the common cause of that issue


I assume the above applies only when another iMessage user not on the same iTunes account as the OP sends an iMessage to the OP who may or may not just happen to have multiple iPhones logged in under the same iTunes account?  I ask because I have three iPhones all logged into the same iTunes account and I have no issues similar to the OP when sending/receiving iMessages between any of my three iPhones.

 

Message 7 of 8 (26,862 Views)
Expert

Re: iPhone 5 Text Message Confusion

[ Edited ]

jane697 wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

AirbudH wrote:

It is an iMessage issue.  I turned off the iMessage option on both phones for a short term fix.  Thanks all for the help.


sounds like you are using the same Itunes logon for all the phones, this is the common cause of that issue


I assume the above applies only when another iMessage user not on the same iTunes account as the OP sends an iMessage to the OP who may or may not just happen to have multiple iPhones logged in under the same iTunes account?  I ask because I have three iPhones all logged into the same iTunes account and I have no issues similar to the OP when sending/receiving iMessages between any of my three iPhones.

 


If they all have the same enail address associated this will happen, take a look here on associating different email addresses to the same itunes account shared on multiple devices. Imessage and facetime sends via the associated itunes email address, turning off imessage forces it to send as a regular sms message that utilzies the cell phone number

 

http://lifehacker.com/5849916/the-ins-and-outs-of-using-imessage-on-multiple-devices

 

 

Message 8 of 8 (26,835 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.