iPhone 5 Sleep/Wake Button Replacement Program

Master

iPhone 5 Sleep/Wake Button Replacement Program

If you own a qualifying iPHone 5, you may be able to have your iPhone's on/off switch repaired for no charge.  If you have paid to have the iPhone 5's on/off switch repaired in the past you may be due a refund.

Apple has creaed the following support site to determine if your iPhone 5 is within the affected group.

https://ssl.apple.com/support/iphone5-sleepwakebutton/

They will send your iPhone in for repairs and they do have loaners to use during the repair if you go to an Apple Store.  

If you ask, they do have some options to buy back your iPhone plus some additional amount that you can use to buy a new iPhone.  If you buy an unlocked version, your existing contract would continue so that you could upgrade to a new iPhone when the next model comes out.  What I have heard about this is that Apple does not come out and tell you about this option because they do not want to appear to be pushing users into buying a new iPhone given that they have a repair program to address the issue.

My experience is that all the personell in the store knows about the program and they are very helpful in getting the issue addressed.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 1 of 5 (1,625 Views)
ACE - Professor

Re: iPhone 5 Sleep/Wake Button Replacement Program

[ Edited ]

More details on the extra trade-in credit offer in lieu of replacement:

http://9to5mac.com/2014/04/27/iphone-5-devices-with-sleep-button-issue-may-qualify-for-an-extra-80-t...

According to internal documents furnished to Apple employees this weekend, US customers who make a Genius Bar appointment for the known sleep/wake issue can opt to trade-in their device and may receive up to $350 (or $370 in Canada) in credit, which is $80 over the current maximum for non-affected devices.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 5 (1,558 Views)
Highlighted
Scholar

No doubt anyone who wishes to keep their jailbreak on their iPhone 5 will probably not take advantage of this offer since one of the things that need to be done after the repair is that your phone will need to be updated to iOS7 if it was on iOS6 prior to bringing the phone into Apple for repair--iOS 7.1.1 is out and there currently is no JB for it...plus since you have to reset your phone prior to bringing it in--upon connecting your phone to iTunes you will be forced to install the latest iOS since iTunes will check to see if your phone's iOS is up to date and AFAIK there is no easy way to get around it if you reset your phone as detailed in the instructions.

Notwithstanding the above, it is good of Apple to acknowledge an issue with the iPhone 5 sleep/power button and for offering to repair it at no cost to the consumer--the button on my son's iPhone 5 has stopped working so he has to use the Accessbility option to work around it.

Message 3 of 5 (1,473 Views)
Scholar

[ Edited ]

One of my iPhone 5 phones has exhibited the unresponsive sleep button issue--I was about ready to pay to have a third-party repair shop repair it; that Apple is now offering this program is great timing for me.

Sorry if some of you already know this, but basically this is what happens if your iPhone 5 is affected by the sleep button issue and qualifies for the program...and you'd rather bring your phone into an Apple Store rather than ship it to their repair center:

1) You should/need to backup your phone to iTunes or iCloud;

2) You will need to reset your phone by doing Erase All Content And Settings on your phone; note--do not do this if your phone is jailbroken or else your phone will go into a infinite boot-loop (connect your phone to iTunes and do a reset from there instead).  Normally this would not be fatal since you could just force a hard boot by pressing both the sleep and home buttons but since your sleep button isn't working, obviously this would not be a viable option--hence the recommendation to not do a reset from within the phone itself if it's jailbroken; also, iTunes cannot detect a phone that is stuck in boot-loop--meaning, you can't use iTunes to break out of it.  Trust me when I tell you not to do Erase All from your phone if it is jailbroken--I made the mistake of doing just that; lucky for me, the Genius simply opened my phone and disconnected the battery to stop the boot-loop...she could have simply told me that I had to come back another time once my phone was in the proper "state" since one of the requirements for the sleep button program is that the phone has to be in proper working order...and a phone that is stuck in boot-loop mode is clearly not in proper working order.

3) Note--if your phone is not on iOS 7, it will have iOS7 installed as part of the pre-qualifying diagnostic that the Genius person will perform on your phone to see what does and doesn't work correctly on your phone...so if you're one of those folks who are adament about not wanting to upgrade to iOS7, this repair program is not for you.

4) The diagnostic tests include testing all buttons--not just the sleep button (they use a special probe tool/stylus to test the left/middle/right sections of the sleep button, as well as for testing the left/right/top/bottom sections of the Home button)--testing the various radios, battery health, flash, etc.; if your phone fails any part of the diagnostic test other than or besides the sleep button, you may be asked that you either get it fixed elsewhere or allow Apple to fix it, at a price if your phone is not covered under any sort of Apple warranty or AppleCare.

5) Assuming that your phone passes the diagnostic test and thus qualifies for the sleep button replacement program, Apple will take your phone from you to ship it to a repair center; they will give you a loaner phone if you request one and if they have any loaners available.  Note--an interesting aspect of the loaner contract is that you can actually choose to keep the loaner phone permanently, in which case Apple will simply take permanent ownership of your phone that you gave to them, at no additional cost or liability to you.

6) Turnaround time for the repair is being stated as 5-7 business days, although I've read of some other folks reporting that they've been waiting for more than 8 business days for their repaired phones to come back to them--Apple will let you know via phone call and/or email when your phone is ready to be picked up at the Apple Store.

Message 4 of 5 (1,366 Views)
Scholar

Update--I dropped my iPhone 5 off at my local Apple Store Friday night; I figured it probably wouldn't get shipped out for repairs until the following Monday, given the day and time I dropped off my phone; sure enough it got sent out Monday, and was returned back to the store Wednesday, ready for pickup.

Turns out Apple not only repaired/replaced the Sleep button, they also replaced the back camera and the battery as well--I can confirm that they replaced the battery, as the number of recharge cycles is now showing 0 and the usable capacity is 1401 out of 1430 (usable capacity on the old battery was down to 1312).  As an added "bonus"--the glass screen was feeling a bit "loose" prior to my dropping the phone off for repair...now the screen is all nice and tight.

The other thing--and this is important for you jailbreakers--is that my phone came back with iOS 7.1.1 installed...so if JB is important to you (I believe there is no JB for 7.1.1 yet), do not take advantage of this Sleep button replacement program.

Message 5 of 5 (1,325 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.