iPhone 5 Data Consumption.

Contributor

iPhone 5 Data Consumption.

I've had my iPhone 5 with AT&T for nearly a week now and my data consumption has went off the roof, a little over a gig (1024 mb/1g) was used already. It doesn't seem right, I'm really worried because it's only been a week, I called AT&T and I wasn't getting anywhere with the late night people that were working, one was even an egotisical "I know it all" kind of guy who wasn't the friendliest. I understand, it's my data my problem, but I've had iPhones for years and I just signed onto AT&T because I hear good things, it's egotisical jrks like this that make any impulsive person to just be quick to cut their contract and phone lines and move on to another carrier, but this has only happened once, other times I've had great people, at any rate, nothing was really explained as to why my data consumption was this high in only a weeks time. It doesn't make any sense because I've used iPhones for years, nothing out of the ordinary as far as my usage goes and I'm almost always hooked onto WiFi at home. Is anyone else experiencing the same issues with the iPhone 5?

I hope there's a solution other than the inconvenience of having to shut off my apps completely. This is ridiculous. I'm not saying that I'm not happy with my iPhone 5, because I love it, it's extremely fast and a great piece of technology it's just this issue with AT&T. 

Let me know if you've been experiencing the same issues. Maybe you'll know a solution.

Thanks.  

Message 1 of 23 (38,757 Views)
Highlighted
Professor

Re: iPhone 5 Data Consumption.

Given the differences between the Verizon's cellular network and AT&T's network, it's a stretch to assume that the problems are related and that the fact that Apple deployed an update for Verizon means that the same thing must exist for AT&T, but it's being suppressed for some reason. It means no such thing. Is there any proof that the Verizon issue is in any way relatable to AT&T, other than people just want to believe?
Message 16 of 23 (34,903 Views)
Contributor

Thanks, I learn your tips, 

Message 17 of 23 (34,807 Views)
Contributor

If your using data at home you need to turn off cellular data then you will use only wi-fi just turn off cellular data whenever your in a wi-fi spot

Message 18 of 23 (29,948 Views)
Contributor

Adding to this, I compared my phone with my daughter's which was gobbling up data at an alarming rate. While her phone was sending diagnostics and usage, "songs, videos, and photos" were "sending" and mine were not. Hoping this easy fix helps solve the data goblin.
Message 19 of 23 (19,739 Views)
Contributor

I have experienced the same issue. They even replaced my iPhone and still having the same issue. It runs every 3 hours and uses data weather on wi fi or not. Apple says that they can not fix the issue and it is very irritating. He is averaging 30 gb a month. The only issue I have with at&t is that when a phone is using that much data you would think they would question it.
I will never purchase another apple product. I have 4 phones on my plan and only 1 is an apple and it is the only one I have issues with.
Message 20 of 23 (7,880 Views)
ACE - Expert

It's one defective phone. I have 3 iphones on my account and none of them exceed normal use.
If any phone is not working normally, it should be brought in during warranty period.
(The following is included after all posts to save typing) We are fellow customers. Our answers are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 21 of 23 (7,875 Views)
Contributor

AT&T has dropped the ball because when you call they are totally unaware of any such issue and tell you that you just must be using more data than you think instead of helping you solve the problem.  The bottom line is that they get to charge you for more data by not helping you solve the problem.  However, they just lost us as 30 year customers.  (I was a Cellular One customer back when you carried the big bag phones.)

Message 22 of 23 (23 Views)
ACE - Expert

gusNtulsa wrote:

AT&T has dropped the ball because when you call they are totally unaware of any such issue and tell you that you just must be using more data than you think instead of helping you solve the problem.  The bottom line is that they get to charge you for more data by not helping you solve the problem.  However, they just lost us as 30 year customers.  (I was a Cellular One customer back when you carried the big bag phones.)

Most of the time that is exactly what happened.  Either due to operator error, or a faulty phone.  

Simce the answer in on the phone, ATT can't explain it.  How can they?

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) We are fellow customers. Our answers are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 23 of 23 (14 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.