The new iPhone 15
little_brother's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Saturday, September 29th, 2012 5:17 AM

iPhone 5 Data Consumption.

I've had my iPhone 5 with AT&T for nearly a week now and my data consumption has went off the roof, a little over a gig (1024 mb/1g) was used already. It doesn't seem right, I'm really worried because it's only been a week, I called AT&T and I wasn't getting anywhere with the late night people that were working, one was even an egotisical "I know it all" kind of guy who wasn't the friendliest. I understand, it's my data my problem, but I've had iPhones for years and I just signed onto AT&T because I hear good things, it's egotisical jrks like this that make any impulsive person to just be quick to cut their contract and phone lines and move on to another carrier, but this has only happened once, other times I've had great people, at any rate, nothing was really explained as to why my data consumption was this high in only a weeks time. It doesn't make any sense because I've used iPhones for years, nothing out of the ordinary as far as my usage goes and I'm almost always hooked onto WiFi at home. Is anyone else experiencing the same issues with the iPhone 5?

I hope there's a solution other than the inconvenience of having to shut off my apps completely. This is ridiculous. I'm not saying that I'm not happy with my iPhone 5, because I love it, it's extremely fast and a great piece of technology it's just this issue with AT&T. 

Let me know if you've been experiencing the same issues. Maybe you'll know a solution.

Thanks.  

Master

• 

4.2K Messages

11 years ago

I wonder what it is people are doing I have had 3 different iPhones and I have not changed my use of any of the phones

and I never use more than a gig a month even on the 5 with LTE what I do enjoy since the speed is vastly superior is the fact I can get the info quick and get off the line as opposed to 3G/4G which to me equates to better living.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

11 years ago

@dwill05 wrote:

@doeknoe1 wrote:

AT&T has dropped the ball here. The Iphone 5 is a dismal fail, unless you can afford to pay for the maximum data package just to use simple everyday functions of any other other smartphone.

AT&T's failure to acknowledge or deal with this issue is reason enough to cancel your plan.

After speaking to 3 different AT&T reps, none would say they were aware of any issues, and it must just be that I am am using too much data. Their suggestion to me was to turn off Facebook notifications, and to completely power off my phone at night. OR, for an additional $5/month i could impose data limits on my phone. What?

I have the 3 GB plan for the Iphone after 15 days it has been used up .And, I have been charged for additional data, which at this rate will be gone in a few days as well. 

I have been with AT&T since 1996 (when its was Cingular) but their total refusal to address this isue has me at my end with them.

How exactly has AT&T dropped the ball?  They don't make the phone or it's software.  If people are really using data because of how they use the phone and the apps on it, how is that AT&T's fault?  If there is a bug in the phone software that Apple wrote and entirely controls and causes it to use excessive data, how is that AT&T's fault?

The only way AT&T would be responsible is either their cell towers send a secret signal to only iPhones telling them to use massive data for no reason other than to rack up profits, or their data accounting and biling system is utterly unable to accurately measure data usage on an iPhone (although they seemingly can do it right on any other phone).

Agree. Like any other wireless carrier, AT&T is only supplying the network path for data. No wireless carrier decides how and when your phone uses the wireless network. If there truly is a problem with the iphone and/or IOS6 (and evidence suggests there is), it is Apple's problem to fix. Suggest you check out this Forbes article: http://www.forbes.com/sites/stevenrosenbaum/2013/04/09/apple-vs-att-turning-the-tables/.

Teacher

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

@dwill05 wrote:

@doeknoe1 wrote:

AT&T has dropped the ball here. The Iphone 5 is a dismal fail, unless you can afford to pay for the maximum data package just to use simple everyday functions of any other other smartphone.

AT&T's failure to acknowledge or deal with this issue is reason enough to cancel your plan.

After speaking to 3 different AT&T reps, none would say they were aware of any issues, and it must just be that I am am using too much data. Their suggestion to me was to turn off Facebook notifications, and to completely power off my phone at night. OR, for an additional $5/month i could impose data limits on my phone. What?

I have the 3 GB plan for the Iphone after 15 days it has been used up .And, I have been charged for additional data, which at this rate will be gone in a few days as well. 

I have been with AT&T since 1996 (when its was Cingular) but their total refusal to address this isue has me at my end with them.

How exactly has AT&T dropped the ball?  They don't make the phone or it's software.  If people are really using data because of how they use the phone and the apps on it, how is that AT&T's fault?  If there is a bug in the phone software that Apple wrote and entirely controls and causes it to use excessive data, how is that AT&T's fault?

The only way AT&T would be responsible is either their cell towers send a secret signal to only iPhones telling them to use massive data for no reason other than to rack up profits, or their data accounting and biling system is utterly unable to accurately measure data usage on an iPhone (although they seemingly can do it right on any other phone).

This problem is likely a joint problem with Apple and the carriers. Apple's update that was distrubuted to fix the same issues on Verizon iPhone 5s was for the carrier settings - small files that are specified and developed jointly by the carrier and Apple, then delivered by Apple. This is at least a joint issue to work out - just as Verizon and Apple have already worked out. The fact that the V/A update has already been issued and the AT&T/Apple update has not is evidence in and of itself that AT&T is at least partially at fault for the fact that an update to address this issue is not already out. 

Which particular company is at fault for the incorrect carrier settings is open for debate - it is unlikely that we will ever know. The fact that the AT&T/Apple carrier settings update is not out yet, while the V/Apple one already is, logically leads one to the conclusion that AT&T is at least partially at fault for the delay. AT&T may have excellent reasons for the delay - maybe there are some technical issues that it and Apple are aguing over. Or maybe they are just arguing over who will foot the bill for covering the costs of all the data overage charges that customers should absolutely not have to pay for. But saying that this is entirely Apples fault (or entirely AT&T's fault) is probably inaccurate.  

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@Nesto wrote:

This problem is likely a joint problem with Apple and the carriers. Apple's update that was distrubuted to fix the same issues on Verizon iPhone 5s was for the carrier settings - small files that are specified and developed jointly by the carrier and Apple, then delivered by Apple. This is at least a joint issue to work out - just as Verizon and Apple have already worked out. The fact that the V/A update has already been issued and the AT&T/Apple update has not is evidence in and of itself that AT&T is at least partially at fault for the fact that an update to address this issue is not already out. 

Which particular company is at fault for the incorrect carrier settings is open for debate - it is unlikely that we will ever know. The fact that the AT&T/Apple carrier settings update is not out yet, while the V/Apple one already is, logically leads one to the conclusion that AT&T is at least partially at fault for the delay. AT&T may have excellent reasons for the delay - maybe there are some technical issues that it and Apple are aguing over. Or maybe they are just arguing over who will foot the bill for covering the costs of all the data overage charges that customers should absolutely not have to pay for. But saying that this is entirely Apples fault (or entirely AT&T's fault) is probably inaccurate.  

disagree - it is a manufcaturer's fault - and verizon and apple have not "worked anythinh out" the issue is still being discuseed on the net and on various verizon boards. the only one footing the bill is the end users, doubt that any of the carriers will refund nor will apple refund simple becasue there is no way to diferentiate dataused by the device in error or excess and the end uers actualy usage. Lets through another ball into the court - the excesive data usage reporting is not singled to the Iphone 5, it has been reported on 3GS's 4's, 4S's also - the only commen denominator is ------ IOS6.x.x

ACE - Master

• 

10.2K Messages

11 years ago

Given the differences between the Verizon's cellular network and AT&T's network, it's a stretch to assume that the problems are related and that the fact that Apple deployed an update for Verizon means that the same thing must exist for AT&T, but it's being suppressed for some reason. It means no such thing. Is there any proof that the Verizon issue is in any way relatable to AT&T, other than people just want to believe?

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks, I learn your tips, 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

If your using data at home you need to turn off cellular data then you will use only wi-fi just turn off cellular data whenever your in a wi-fi spot

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Adding to this, I compared my phone with my daughter's which was gobbling up data at an alarming rate. While her phone was sending diagnostics and usage, "songs, videos, and photos" were "sending" and mine were not. Hoping this easy fix helps solve the data goblin.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

I have experienced the same issue. They even replaced my iPhone and still having the same issue. It runs every 3 hours and uses data weather on wi fi or not. Apple says that they can not fix the issue and it is very irritating. He is averaging 30 gb a month. The only issue I have with at&t is that when a phone is using that much data you would think they would question it.
I will never purchase another apple product. I have 4 phones on my plan and only 1 is an apple and it is the only one I have issues with.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.4K Messages

9 years ago

It's one defective phone. I have 3 iphones on my account and none of them exceed normal use.
If any phone is not working normally, it should be brought in during warranty period.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.