For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The new iPhone 15
kgbean4439's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Wednesday, December 5th, 2012 3:49 AM

iPhone 5 Data Cellular Data Usage on WiFi

Not sure if others have run into this, but I recently received a text from AT&T stating that I was about to use all of my allocated data (IPhone 5) for the month. I found this odd as it was only the 3rd and I usually only use about 75% of my data in the entire month. I checked my usage on my account and sure enough I had blown through 175mb in two hours (I have the 200mb plan). The funny thing is that I wasn't on my phone at the time (at work) and even if I had been, I am connected to WiFi. I read this and then this and I'm wondering if this issue is happening with AT&T now. I am also wondering if it's true that the iPhone 5 reverts to cellular data when it goes back to the lock screen. I can't think of another reason it's burning through data on WiFi. Reading other threads, it's clear there is a glitch here!

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

We have a galaxy s3 , iphone5 and htc inspire ... dont know which is causing the issues...how can I figure it out? My data is out of control and we r using wifi.

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

10 years ago

@parrotheadnpendleton wrote:
We have a galaxy s3 , iphone5 and htc inspire ... dont know which is causing the issues...how can I figure it out? My data is out of control and we r using wifi.

If you have a Mobile Share plan, you can sign in using the MyATT application, or via the full OLAM web site.  Once connected, under the Usage section, it will give you a summary of your total usage, and a breakdown  by phone.  When I last looked at my account, I saw that we had used 6660MB of our 10GB plan, and that 74% of that usage had been done by my wife's iPhone, and my iPhone had only used 26%.  On most months, we are slightly lower usage, and the breakdown falls more like 82-83% for her and 17-18% for me.

BTW, her usage is why we moved to the 10GB Mobile Share plan.  SHe was hitting the throttling cap on her unlimited plan, and I wa salways far below, so we moved to the 10GB Mobile Share plan and lowered our bill by about $20-30 month and she no longer gets throttled when she goes above 5GB usage.  Since the switch, combined we've never gone over 7GB usage, and we are still paying less...

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.