The new iPhone 15
Jasonaklee's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Saturday, April 5th, 2014 3:47 PM

iPhone 5 DATA USAGE HIGHER THAN NORMAL?

Same time every morning iPhone 5 data is extremely abnormal. Wifi at home and small drive to work then wifi there also. What's goin on?

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

10 years ago

@Jasonaklee wrote:
Same time every morning iPhone 5 data is extremely abnormal. Wifi at home and small drive to work then wifi there also. What's goin on?

when a iphone hiberates it turns off the wifi radio, the radio is not needed for the phone to function correctly.

Make sure you have all background updates turned off, facebook, itunes, twitter and other apps update in the bacjground without the main app running

Employee

• 

19 Messages

10 years ago

You can try doing the following since I had the same issue in the past. My device kept using internet and was not because of whatever radio needs to function. In the Iphone the apps once in the background dont keep refreshing unless you turn on the option. The fix to this issue is to restore the device without doing a back up, why? because the error will be copied onto the back up file. Anyway, your contacts are saved and synced with your apple ID. You can back up your pictures and video to AT&T locker or download dropbox. Perform a master reset without backing it up, if you back up and restore you are copying the same error onto the back up file. I can promise you, this issue will not have the problem.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

This is a terrible answer. It does not address the problem. If wifi is enabled, and the phone has a wifi connection the phone should use wifi and not use the data connection. END OF STORY.

With a premium phone on with a premium plan there should be no bull about this.

This crap about being an employee but not representing ATT position is also crap. ATT needs to staff these forums with people who can give *useful* and *official* advise. If ATT is unwilling to do this, then I will not waste time on the foums and will call and use up the time of ATT support techs. You want to waste my time I will waste yours.

Master

• 

7.1K Messages

10 years ago

@cp2 wrote:

This is a terrible answer. It does not address the problem. If wifi is enabled, and the phone has a wifi connection the phone should use wifi and not use the data connection. END OF STORY.

This crap about being an employee but not representing ATT position is also crap. ATT needs to staff these forums with people who can give *useful* and *official* advise. If ATT is unwilling to do this, then I will not waste time on the foums and will call and use up the time of ATT support techs. You want to waste my time I will waste yours.

This is a customer to customer forum. Like you and others here I am a customer and not an employee. Yes there are ATT employees but they do not officially speak for ATT and regardless of your wishes they never will officially speak on behalf of ATT.  They are knowledgable and can at least provide some help and insight but so can others.

Now back to your issue.  I would submit feedback to Apple and discuss your issue with them.  They built the iPhone.  They developed the software and they are responsible for how the iPhone switches between wifi and cellular.  http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

You could also call Apple and discuss their software with them.  You really do not want ATT's tech's providing support for Apple's iPhone.  Call Apple or go to your local Apple store. 

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

10 years ago

@cp2 wrote:

If you want it to use wifi all the time then configure the phone never to go into hibernate mode, Apple has the device configured to turn off features that are not required whne the phone goes into hibernate mode - this includes wifi since it is not needed to the device to accept a phone call of visual voice mail (which requires cellular data), calling att support is a waste of both of your's time since they cannot do anything about it. Apple designed it that way.

Former Employee

• 

636 Messages

10 years ago

When I had an iPhone, I would routinely turn off my cell data, especially on weekends, because in real life, there's lots of times my phne would d/c from my wifi and I didn't want to have to deal with it.

AT&T is basically responsible for making sure your cellular connection, including data to the phone is working and metered. As a bonus AT&T is fairly knowledgable about the phones, but ultimately they don't make and have minimal impact on the manufacturing and design of the phones. Even for the warranty of most phones, AT&T just is the 'face' for the various manufacturers, apple aside.

-Alex

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.