For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The new iPhone 15
mcpanse's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Sunday, October 16th, 2011 12:23 PM

iPhone 4S SIM Card Failure -- "NO SIM CARD". Anyone else getting this?

My black 16GB iPhone 4s reported "invalid SIM card" and then "No SIM card" 24 hours after activation. There is a growing number reports of this problem on Apple's user forum. 

Anybody here experience the same thing? Some folks have had luck rebooting their phones and/or removing and reinserting their SIM cards. That hasn't worked for me. 

If you're having the same problem, I encourage you to report it here and over in this Apple thread : "Sim Card Failure No Sim with iPhone 4S Anyone Else?". Google it and you should find it. There were 22 reports at last count.

Also, please share any experiences you have either fixing this problem yourself or trying to get help with this problem from Apple, AT&T or other carrier. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

13 years ago

Yep...me too.  It's happened 3 times since I got my phone last Friday.  All 3 times the phone was just sitting on my bed and when I realized I hadn't received any calls for hours at a time, I'd pick up my phone and sure enough, I'd have the Invalid SIM message.  I reboot and it seems to fix it but I can't figure out why it's happening in the first place.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

13 years ago

A little confused. I did not even have to use my sim card

I went from a non Iphone to the 42 and it never asked for my sim card

It has been working for four days without the need of the sim card

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

13 years ago

^ Your AT&T phone came with a SIM card already installed.

Brief update: AT&T store replaced my SIM card Sunday. Four days later and everything is copasetic, although the phone does tend to run warm.

I share the concerns posted here and on the Apple support forum that the phones are defective. 

Voyager

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

OK.  This just happened to me today.  I have an iPhone 4s 16Gb.  I rebooted the phone and it seems to be ok now.  Can I take this to any ATT store to get the SIM tested, or can I go to an Apple store to have this taken care of under Applecare (the Apple warranty)?

Thanks

David Mussington

Master

• 

7.1K Messages

12 years ago

@wintermute1 wrote:

OK.  This just happened to me today.  I have an iPhone 4s 16Gb.  I rebooted the phone and it seems to be ok now.  Can I take this to any ATT store to get the SIM tested, or can I go to an Apple store to have this taken care of under Applecare (the Apple warranty)?

Thanks

David Mussington

Apple may have some SIMS but just go to an ATT corporate store and have them activate a new SIM in your phone.  There is not really a way to test a sim except put it in a different phone.  If it works then it points to the hardware.  Since the iPhones do not store anything on a SIM, getting a new one activated should not cause you any issues or lost information.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

The problem is that the tray that holds the sim card is made of metal and makes contact with the sim card. When this happens, it shorts out the sim and you get the 'no sim' error.  What you need to do is remove the sim card, place a VERY THIN sliver of tape on the long edge of the sim ( the side opposite the notched side)  that sits in the tray. What you are doing is insulating the potential connection point between the sim contact and the metal tray the sim sits in. There are a couple of videos on youtube that show you how to do it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2y0abjPFfk 

Should we have to do this? No.  Should Apple should fix this immediately and offer the fix to everyone asap? Better believe it!  

Are you listening Apple?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

I got my IPhone 4s at 5:30PM and at 10:30 PM, suddenly: Invalid SIM card.

Professor

• 

3.4K Messages

12 years ago

4S 16 Gb white apple store  10/15/11, no sim card problems at all.  if you have a sim card problem go to AT&T ask them to replace your sim card for free.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

I had the same problem within the very first weeks after I bought 4S Phone. I went to Apple store, they reset it, I got to the street and got the same message SIM FAILURE/NO SIM CARD. I went back and got my phone exchanged. Almost after a month, I repeatedly started getting this message again today. I needed to turn off the phone after noticing this message and turn it back on. That helped. But before I have noticed it passed some time and I have lost an important business deal.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

I'm having SAME problem!!! REALLY REALLY annoying! I tried taking sim card out and re-inserting (watch video on you tube for how-to) and still getting NO SIM message. Called att and they told me to go to store... WELL i can't go to store until tomorrow so VERY frustrating that I have no phone until after work tomorrow!!!!!! THEY really need ot fix this problem!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.