The new iPhone 15
54rock's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Monday, July 30th, 2012 12:27 PM

iPhone 4.3.5 software update

I have iPhone 4.3.5 and there's no software update option under settings. Whenever iTunes tries to update when I sync it won't go through. Any ideas what could be going on?

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

12 years ago

I remember having issues when I upgraded from my iPhone 3 to an iPhone 4 (over 2 years ago).  I had the super slow backups then too...  I'm trying to remember exactly what I did to correct it, but it involved doing a few things.  I remember that I had to hook the iPhone up to iTunes and tell iTunes not to submit diagnostics data to Apple.  I also had to delete one or two apps on the iPhone itself, and then the last thing I remember that helped was that I hooked the iPhone up to iTunes, cancelled the sync, and then manually perofrmed the backup (right click on the iPhone in itunes and select backup).  I seem to recall that there were issues with the older releases of iOS where the backup process was painfully slow if you had a very large number of very small data files associated with an app (the Apps, or "Other" data section in iTunes was quite large).  I don't remember eh apps in particular, but if you Google "iPhone slow backup" you should be able to get this issue fixed.

As for the software updates, you needed iOS 5 to be able to perform "OTA" software updaes on iOS< so you need to get updated via your PC for at least the next update...

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

12 years ago

@Mel14 wrote:
We are now on ios 6 and my phone is still in 4. 

So why did you not upgrade to ios 5 when it came out over a year ago?

Regardless, here is what I would try.

1. Connect to Itunes and just do a backup of the phone, (i.e. don't start the ios software update process, just make sure you have a current backup).

2. After the backup completes, select the phone in itunes and click Restore to set the phone back to factory settings.

3. After that completes, click "Check for Update" to begin the ios update process. The update should not hang at the backup step now.

4. Once the ios update completes, you can either restore from backup or do the "check for update" again to get ios 6 and then restore from backup.

I've always found that the longer it has been since the last backup, the longer it takes for a backup to complete. So, be advised that if you have not done a backup in a long time, step 1 may still take very long or hang if there is something on your phone that is causing issues with itunes. If you can't get past this, you may have no choice than to simply reset to original settings, upgrade and then try to restore all contacts/apps/music/photos, etc manually. Even without a good backup, most of that can be restored simply by re-synching.

Former Community Manager

• 

5.2K Messages

12 years ago

@Mel14 wrote:

I am having the SAME EXACT problem!

I have the iPhone 4 and I am using the same 4.3.5 version. I have tried numerous times to update  it and it does not work. I have read every forum possible to no avail. Yes, I have the new itunes, yes, I am connected to wifi, yes, my data is on. I reset my network settings. I changed the DSN to an open network.... I have tried everything. Basically iTunes says there is an update available, great lets try it. So it says the phone is syncing, and then iTunes says that it is backing up my phone. Well, this is the part where I want to punch the screen.  The rate at which it "backs up" my phone is like watching paint dry. Nothing happens....it BARELY moves and I have left it for hours at a time. I even left it for two days because I was so frustrated. TWO DAYS with my phone plugged into my computer! lol 

My friend mentioned trying to update it through the phone, by going to settings and clicking on software updated....wellllllll that option does not exist on my phone. It says "about" and " usage" nothing else. I have everyone telling me their phones always had that option, so I dont know if its only in the newer phone.  Basically, something is wrong, and I just want to know if my only option is to go into an Apple store and have them fix it....cus I have called and they said they couldnt help because I didnt have Apple care??? Seriously?

We are now on ios 6 and my phone is still in 4. 

THERE HAS TO BE SOMEONE WORKING FOR YOU GUYS THAT KNOWS SOMETHING.

I am also having problems linking my accounts online...it tells me I cant access the online chat (which I was trying to do to solve this ^ issue) unless I link my accounts....so I have done that repeatedly with it telling me...my number and emails and names are already linked to an access ID.....but then when I try to use said access ID.. to log into chat...it says I must link my accounts. I am pretty annoyed and it is about to be 4 am my time...I have been trying to simultaneously solve BOTH of these issues for over two hours.

I would GREATLY appreciate some help here. Like real help, not reposting information that is posted somewhere else...but a solution. 

Thank you so much 

Hi Mel - it sounds like your best course of action is to visit your local Apple store for help. 

Sandblaster gave a great list of steps to try before heading to Apple for help. I think a restore is a good way to go. There may be a software issue that's preventing your update from processing properly. 

Please try his steps and let us know how you fare. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

It seems very easy to say "go to your Apple store," but in my case that's a 1  hour drive from where I live. My iPhone never once let me know that I needed to download updates, now I can't get anything to work, and I'm told to make a 2 hour round-trip drive to fix the problem?  Androids are starting to look good to me.

Master

• 

4.2K Messages

11 years ago

I don't know what computer you have but on every Mac I have owned if you doc the iPod,iPad or iPhone it will perform a backup first then look for updates for your iOS and will give you the option of either updating or decline as was stated since 5.0 you should be able to perform this wirelessly if you checked that option on the phone.

Sometimes closing out iTunes and re-open will straighten up any glitches.

Master

• 

7.1K Messages

11 years ago

Android may look good but with Apple you can go to a store and get support. I do not know how you would get your android fixed? May not be a big deal but I would want to know that before I switched.

Master

• 

4.2K Messages

11 years ago

@youngjm wrote:
Android may look good but with Apple you can go to a store and get support. I do not know how you would get your android fixed? May not be a big deal but I would want to know that before I switched.

Not to mention you may or may not get the latest OS depending on phone and carrier.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.