Wireless Forums

Posted Jul 30, 2012
5:27:41 AM
View profile
iPhone 4.3.5 software update

I have iPhone 4.3.5 and there's no software update option under settings. Whenever iTunes tries to update when I sync it won't go through. Any ideas what could be going on?

I have iPhone 4.3.5 and there's no software update option under settings. Whenever iTunes tries to update when I sync it won't go through. Any ideas what could be going on?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Jul 30, 2012 2:58:10 PM
(0)
Former Community Manager

I agree with wingrider, Apple would be a great resource here. 

Here is an article from their knowledge base that might help: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1275

I've read a couple posts and articles and ensuring iTunes is updated to the lastest build is a common theme so that would be a good place to start. 

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
Accepted Solution

iPhone 4.3.5 software update

17 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(17)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 30, 2012 6:20:45 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

54rock wrote:

What iPhone version do you have?

The "OS update" on device option doesn't exist before iOS 5.

You MUST have an updated version of iTunes to update the OS from 4.x to 5.x, - update your iTunes app and try again.

54rock wrote:

What iPhone version do you have?

The "OS update" on device option doesn't exist before iOS 5.

You MUST have an updated version of iTunes to update the OS from 4.x to 5.x, - update your iTunes app and try again.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: iPhone 4.3.5 software update

2 of 18 (19,423 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 30, 2012 6:34:00 AM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks...the version is 4.3.5. I just checked iTunes and it's been updated. Then how do I update the iPhone from iTunes? Maybe it's obvious....but I'm missing it.

Thanks...the version is 4.3.5. I just checked iTunes and it's been updated. Then how do I update the iPhone from iTunes? Maybe it's obvious....but I'm missing it.

3 of 18 (19,417 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 30, 2012 8:29:03 AM
(0)
Expert
Edited by wingrider01 on Jul 30, 2012 at 8:29:47 AM

54rock wrote:

It is automatic, you plug the phone in, itunes will detect that there is a new version and load it to the phone

what model iphone do you have?

54rock wrote:

It is automatic, you plug the phone in, itunes will detect that there is a new version and load it to the phone

what model iphone do you have?

[ Edited ]
4 of 18 (19,394 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 30, 2012 12:59:28 PM
(0)
Tutor

I just went through the cycle again - I go the screen in iTunes for the iPhone, it says there's a new version of the iPhone software available (5.1.1). I choose update, it begins to go through the process, then I get a message "The iPhone could not be restored, this device isn't eligible for the requested build".

The iphone is A1332 (GSM model).

I just went through the cycle again - I go the screen in iTunes for the iPhone, it says there's a new version of the iPhone software available (5.1.1). I choose update, it begins to go through the process, then I get a message "The iPhone could not be restored, this device isn't eligible for the requested build".

5 of 18 (19,359 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Jul 30, 2012 1:10:12 PM
(0)
Expert

54rock wrote:

sounds like you need to contact Apple - make a appointment at the genius bar near you

54rock wrote:

sounds like you need to contact Apple - make a appointment at the genius bar near you

6 of 18 (19,357 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Jul 30, 2012 2:58:10 PM
(0)
Former Community Manager

Here is an article from their knowledge base that might help: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1275

I've read a couple posts and articles and ensuring iTunes is updated to the lastest build is a common theme so that would be a good place to start. 

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

--------------

7 of 18 (19,323 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 31, 2012 10:02:11 AM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks again! Next time I'll remember to choose "Accepted Solutions". I meant to and realized I had already replied.

Thanks again! Next time I'll remember to choose "Accepted Solutions". I meant to and realized I had already replied.

8 of 18 (19,242 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 31, 2012 11:03:21 AM
(0)
Former Community Manager

No worries!

Were you able to get your phone updated?

--------------

No worries!

Were you able to get your phone updated?

--------------

9 of 18 (19,237 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 3, 2012 12:56:51 AM
(0)
Contributor

I am having the SAME EXACT problem!

I have the iPhone 4 and I am using the same 4.3.5 version. I have tried numerous times to update  it and it does not work. I have read every forum possible to no avail. Yes, I have the new itunes, yes, I am connected to wifi, yes, my data is on. I reset my network settings. I changed the DSN to an open network.... I have tried everything. Basically iTunes says there is an update available, great lets try it. So it says the phone is syncing, and then iTunes says that it is backing up my phone. Well, this is the part where I want to punch the screen.  The rate at which it "backs up" my phone is like watching paint dry. Nothing happens....it BARELY moves and I have left it for hours at a time. I even left it for two days because I was so frustrated. TWO DAYS with my phone plugged into my computer! lol 

My friend mentioned trying to update it through the phone, by going to settings and clicking on software updated....wellllllll that option does not exist on my phone. It says "about" and " usage" nothing else. I have everyone telling me their phones always had that option, so I dont know if its only in the newer phone.  Basically, something is wrong, and I just want to know if my only option is to go into an Apple store and have them fix it....cus I have called and they said they couldnt help because I didnt have Apple care??? Seriously?

We are now on ios 6 and my phone is still in 4. 

THERE HAS TO BE SOMEONE WORKING FOR YOU GUYS THAT KNOWS SOMETHING.

I am also having problems linking my accounts online...it tells me I cant access the online chat (which I was trying to do to solve this ^ issue) unless I link my accounts....so I have done that repeatedly with it telling me...my number and emails and names are already linked to an access ID.....but then when I try to use said access ID.. to log into chat...it says I must link my accounts. I am pretty annoyed and it is about to be 4 am my time...I have been trying to simultaneously solve BOTH of these issues for over two hours.

I would GREATLY appreciate some help here. Like real help, not reposting information that is posted somewhere else...but a solution. 

Thank you so much 

I have the iPhone 4 and I am using the same 4.3.5 version. I have tried numerous times to update  it and it does not work. I have read every forum possible to no avail. Yes, I have the new itunes, yes, I am connected to wifi, yes, my data is on. I reset my network settings. I changed the DSN to an open network.... I have tried everything. Basically iTunes says there is an update available, great lets try it. So it says the phone is syncing, and then iTunes says that it is backing up my phone. Well, this is the part where I want to punch the screen.  The rate at which it "backs up" my phone is like watching paint dry. Nothing happens....it BARELY moves and I have left it for hours at a time. I even left it for two days because I was so frustrated. TWO DAYS with my phone plugged into my computer! lol 

My friend mentioned trying to update it through the phone, by going to settings and clicking on software updated....wellllllll that option does not exist on my phone. It says "about" and " usage" nothing else. I have everyone telling me their phones always had that option, so I dont know if its only in the newer phone.  Basically, something is wrong, and I just want to know if my only option is to go into an Apple store and have them fix it....cus I have called and they said they couldnt help because I didnt have Apple care??? Seriously?

I am also having problems linking my accounts online...it tells me I cant access the online chat (which I was trying to do to solve this ^ issue) unless I link my accounts....so I have done that repeatedly with it telling me...my number and emails and names are already linked to an access ID.....but then when I try to use said access ID.. to log into chat...it says I must link my accounts. I am pretty annoyed and it is about to be 4 am my time...I have been trying to simultaneously solve BOTH of these issues for over two hours.

I would GREATLY appreciate some help here. Like real help, not reposting information that is posted somewhere else...but a solution. 

Thank you so much 

10 of 18 (18,704 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 3, 2012 3:45:14 AM
(0)
Expert

Mel14 wrote:

Thank you so much 

The Apple store will help, it is just not free if you don;t have a active AppleCare package or the phone is out of warranty - at most you maybe required to purchase a out of warranty replacement, you other choice woud probably be a full reset back to factory settings on the iphone and setting it up as a new phone when you plug it into itunes with the USB connection - doing this is your own choice, ti will reset the phone to what it was when it shipped from the factory - you will lose everything that is on the phone if you last backup is not valid. Make the decision wisely

Mel14 wrote:

Thank you so much 

The Apple store will help, it is just not free if you don;t have a active AppleCare package or the phone is out of warranty - at most you maybe required to purchase a out of warranty replacement, you other choice woud probably be a full reset back to factory settings on the iphone and setting it up as a new phone when you plug it into itunes with the USB connection - doing this is your own choice, ti will reset the phone to what it was when it shipped from the factory - you will lose everything that is on the phone if you last backup is not valid. Make the decision wisely

11 of 18 (18,680 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 3, 2012 5:32:11 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

I remember having issues when I upgraded from my iPhone 3 to an iPhone 4 (over 2 years ago).  I had the super slow backups then too...  I'm trying to remember exactly what I did to correct it, but it involved doing a few things.  I remember that I had to hook the iPhone up to iTunes and tell iTunes not to submit diagnostics data to Apple.  I also had to delete one or two apps on the iPhone itself, and then the last thing I remember that helped was that I hooked the iPhone up to iTunes, cancelled the sync, and then manually perofrmed the backup (right click on the iPhone in itunes and select backup).  I seem to recall that there were issues with the older releases of iOS where the backup process was painfully slow if you had a very large number of very small data files associated with an app (the Apps, or "Other" data section in iTunes was quite large).  I don't remember eh apps in particular, but if you Google "iPhone slow backup" you should be able to get this issue fixed.

As for the software updates, you needed iOS 5 to be able to perform "OTA" software updaes on iOS< so you need to get updated via your PC for at least the next update...

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.

I remember having issues when I upgraded from my iPhone 3 to an iPhone 4 (over 2 years ago).  I had the super slow backups then too...  I'm trying to remember exactly what I did to correct it, but it involved doing a few things.  I remember that I had to hook the iPhone up to iTunes and tell iTunes not to submit diagnostics data to Apple.  I also had to delete one or two apps on the iPhone itself, and then the last thing I remember that helped was that I hooked the iPhone up to iTunes, cancelled the sync, and then manually perofrmed the backup (right click on the iPhone in itunes and select backup).  I seem to recall that there were issues with the older releases of iOS where the backup process was painfully slow if you had a very large number of very small data files associated with an app (the Apps, or "Other" data section in iTunes was quite large).  I don't remember eh apps in particular, but if you Google "iPhone slow backup" you should be able to get this issue fixed.

As for the software updates, you needed iOS 5 to be able to perform "OTA" software updaes on iOS< so you need to get updated via your PC for at least the next update...

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

12 of 18 (18,668 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 3, 2012 8:00:20 AM
(0)
Employee

Mel14 wrote:

So why did you not upgrade to ios 5 when it came out over a year ago?

Regardless, here is what I would try.

1. Connect to Itunes and just do a backup of the phone, (i.e. don't start the ios software update process, just make sure you have a current backup).

2. After the backup completes, select the phone in itunes and click Restore to set the phone back to factory settings.

3. After that completes, click "Check for Update" to begin the ios update process. The update should not hang at the backup step now.

4. Once the ios update completes, you can either restore from backup or do the "check for update" again to get ios 6 and then restore from backup.

I've always found that the longer it has been since the last backup, the longer it takes for a backup to complete. So, be advised that if you have not done a backup in a long time, step 1 may still take very long or hang if there is something on your phone that is causing issues with itunes. If you can't get past this, you may have no choice than to simply reset to original settings, upgrade and then try to restore all contacts/apps/music/photos, etc manually. Even without a good backup, most of that can be restored simply by re-synching.

Mel14 wrote:

So why did you not upgrade to ios 5 when it came out over a year ago?

Regardless, here is what I would try.

1. Connect to Itunes and just do a backup of the phone, (i.e. don't start the ios software update process, just make sure you have a current backup).

2. After the backup completes, select the phone in itunes and click Restore to set the phone back to factory settings.

3. After that completes, click "Check for Update" to begin the ios update process. The update should not hang at the backup step now.

4. Once the ios update completes, you can either restore from backup or do the "check for update" again to get ios 6 and then restore from backup.

I've always found that the longer it has been since the last backup, the longer it takes for a backup to complete. So, be advised that if you have not done a backup in a long time, step 1 may still take very long or hang if there is something on your phone that is causing issues with itunes. If you can't get past this, you may have no choice than to simply reset to original settings, upgrade and then try to restore all contacts/apps/music/photos, etc manually. Even without a good backup, most of that can be restored simply by re-synching.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

13 of 18 (18,638 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 4, 2012 8:13:16 AM
(0)
Former Community Manager

Mel14 wrote:

Thank you so much 

Hi Mel - it sounds like your best course of action is to visit your local Apple store for help. 

Sandblaster gave a great list of steps to try before heading to Apple for help. I think a restore is a good way to go. There may be a software issue that's preventing your update from processing properly. 

Please try his steps and let us know how you fare. 

--------------

Mel14 wrote:

Thank you so much 

Hi Mel - it sounds like your best course of action is to visit your local Apple store for help. 

Sandblaster gave a great list of steps to try before heading to Apple for help. I think a restore is a good way to go. There may be a software issue that's preventing your update from processing properly. 

Please try his steps and let us know how you fare. 

--------------

14 of 18 (18,505 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 18, 2013 2:26:46 PM
(0)
Contributor

It seems very easy to say "go to your Apple store," but in my case that's a 1  hour drive from where I live. My iPhone never once let me know that I needed to download updates, now I can't get anything to work, and I'm told to make a 2 hour round-trip drive to fix the problem?  Androids are starting to look good to me.

It seems very easy to say "go to your Apple store," but in my case that's a 1  hour drive from where I live. My iPhone never once let me know that I needed to download updates, now I can't get anything to work, and I'm told to make a 2 hour round-trip drive to fix the problem?  Androids are starting to look good to me.

15 of 18 (11,600 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 18, 2013 6:11:59 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

I don't know what computer you have but on every Mac I have owned if you doc the iPod,iPad or iPhone it will perform a backup first then look for updates for your iOS and will give you the option of either updating or decline as was stated since 5.0 you should be able to perform this wirelessly if you checked that option on the phone.

Sometimes closing out iTunes and re-open will straighten up any glitches.

I don't know what computer you have but on every Mac I have owned if you doc the iPod,iPad or iPhone it will perform a backup first then look for updates for your iOS and will give you the option of either updating or decline as was stated since 5.0 you should be able to perform this wirelessly if you checked that option on the phone.

Sometimes closing out iTunes and re-open will straighten up any glitches.

16 of 18 (11,564 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 18, 2013 7:51:37 PM
(0)
Master
Android may look good but with Apple you can go to a store and get support. I do not know how you would get your android fixed? May not be a big deal but I would want to know that before I switched.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Android may look good but with Apple you can go to a store and get support. I do not know how you would get your android fixed? May not be a big deal but I would want to know that before I switched.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

17 of 18 (11,541 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 18, 2013 7:54:25 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

youngjm wrote:

Not to mention you may or may not get the latest OS depending on phone and carrier.

youngjm wrote:

Not to mention you may or may not get the latest OS depending on phone and carrier.

18 of 18 (11,536 Views)