For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The new iPhone 15
54rock's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Monday, July 30th, 2012 12:27 PM

iPhone 4.3.5 software update

I have iPhone 4.3.5 and there's no software update option under settings. Whenever iTunes tries to update when I sync it won't go through. Any ideas what could be going on?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

12 years ago

@54rock wrote:

I just went through the cycle again - I go the screen in iTunes for the iPhone, it says there's a new version of the iPhone software available (5.1.1). I choose update, it begins to go through the process, then I get a message "The iPhone could not be restored, this device isn't eligible for the requested build".

The iphone is A1332 (GSM model).

sounds like you need to contact Apple - make a appointment at the genius bar near you

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Former Community Manager

• 

5.2K Messages

12 years ago

I agree with wingrider, Apple would be a great resource here. 

Here is an article from their knowledge base that might help: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1275

I've read a couple posts and articles and ensuring iTunes is updated to the lastest build is a common theme so that would be a good place to start. 

Professor

• 

3.1K Messages

12 years ago

@54rock wrote:

I have iPhone 4.3.5 and there's no software update option under settings. Whenever iTunes tries to update when I sync it won't go through. Any ideas what could be going on?

What iPhone version do you have?

The "OS update" on device option doesn't exist before iOS 5.

You MUST have an updated version of iTunes to update the OS from 4.x to 5.x, - update your iTunes app and try again.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

12 years ago

Thanks...the version is 4.3.5. I just checked iTunes and it's been updated. Then how do I update the iPhone from iTunes? Maybe it's obvious....but I'm missing it.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

12 years ago

@54rock wrote:

Thanks...the version is 4.3.5. I just checked iTunes and it's been updated. Then how do I update the iPhone from iTunes? Maybe it's obvious....but I'm missing it.

It is automatic, you plug the phone in, itunes will detect that there is a new version and load it to the phone

what model iphone do you have?

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

12 years ago

I just went through the cycle again - I go the screen in iTunes for the iPhone, it says there's a new version of the iPhone software available (5.1.1). I choose update, it begins to go through the process, then I get a message "The iPhone could not be restored, this device isn't eligible for the requested build".

The iphone is A1332 (GSM model).

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

12 years ago

Thanks again! Next time I'll remember to choose "Accepted Solutions". I meant to and realized I had already replied.

Former Community Manager

• 

5.2K Messages

12 years ago

No worries!

Were you able to get your phone updated?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

I am having the SAME EXACT problem!

I have the iPhone 4 and I am using the same 4.3.5 version. I have tried numerous times to update  it and it does not work. I have read every forum possible to no avail. Yes, I have the new itunes, yes, I am connected to wifi, yes, my data is on. I reset my network settings. I changed the DSN to an open network.... I have tried everything. Basically iTunes says there is an update available, great lets try it. So it says the phone is syncing, and then iTunes says that it is backing up my phone. Well, this is the part where I want to punch the screen.  The rate at which it "backs up" my phone is like watching paint dry. Nothing happens....it BARELY moves and I have left it for hours at a time. I even left it for two days because I was so frustrated. TWO DAYS with my phone plugged into my computer! lol 

My friend mentioned trying to update it through the phone, by going to settings and clicking on software updated....wellllllll that option does not exist on my phone. It says "about" and " usage" nothing else. I have everyone telling me their phones always had that option, so I dont know if its only in the newer phone.  Basically, something is wrong, and I just want to know if my only option is to go into an Apple store and have them fix it....cus I have called and they said they couldnt help because I didnt have Apple care??? Seriously?

We are now on ios 6 and my phone is still in 4. 

THERE HAS TO BE SOMEONE WORKING FOR YOU GUYS THAT KNOWS SOMETHING.

I am also having problems linking my accounts online...it tells me I cant access the online chat (which I was trying to do to solve this ^ issue) unless I link my accounts....so I have done that repeatedly with it telling me...my number and emails and names are already linked to an access ID.....but then when I try to use said access ID.. to log into chat...it says I must link my accounts. I am pretty annoyed and it is about to be 4 am my time...I have been trying to simultaneously solve BOTH of these issues for over two hours.

I would GREATLY appreciate some help here. Like real help, not reposting information that is posted somewhere else...but a solution. 

Thank you so much 

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

12 years ago

@Mel14 wrote:

I am having the SAME EXACT problem!

I have the iPhone 4 and I am using the same 4.3.5 version. I have tried numerous times to update  it and it does not work. I have read every forum possible to no avail. Yes, I have the new itunes, yes, I am connected to wifi, yes, my data is on. I reset my network settings. I changed the DSN to an open network.... I have tried everything. Basically iTunes says there is an update available, great lets try it. So it says the phone is syncing, and then iTunes says that it is backing up my phone. Well, this is the part where I want to punch the screen.  The rate at which it "backs up" my phone is like watching paint dry. Nothing happens....it BARELY moves and I have left it for hours at a time. I even left it for two days because I was so frustrated. TWO DAYS with my phone plugged into my computer! lol 

My friend mentioned trying to update it through the phone, by going to settings and clicking on software updated....wellllllll that option does not exist on my phone. It says "about" and " usage" nothing else. I have everyone telling me their phones always had that option, so I dont know if its only in the newer phone.  Basically, something is wrong, and I just want to know if my only option is to go into an Apple store and have them fix it....cus I have called and they said they couldnt help because I didnt have Apple care??? Seriously?

We are now on ios 6 and my phone is still in 4. 

THERE HAS TO BE SOMEONE WORKING FOR YOU GUYS THAT KNOWS SOMETHING.

I am also having problems linking my accounts online...it tells me I cant access the online chat (which I was trying to do to solve this ^ issue) unless I link my accounts....so I have done that repeatedly with it telling me...my number and emails and names are already linked to an access ID.....but then when I try to use said access ID.. to log into chat...it says I must link my accounts. I am pretty annoyed and it is about to be 4 am my time...I have been trying to simultaneously solve BOTH of these issues for over two hours.

I would GREATLY appreciate some help here. Like real help, not reposting information that is posted somewhere else...but a solution. 

Thank you so much 

The Apple store will help, it is just not free if you don;t have a active AppleCare package or the phone is out of warranty - at most you maybe required to purchase a out of warranty replacement, you other choice woud probably be a full reset back to factory settings on the iphone and setting it up as a new phone when you plug it into itunes with the USB connection - doing this is your own choice, ti will reset the phone to what it was when it shipped from the factory - you will lose everything that is on the phone if you last backup is not valid. Make the decision wisely

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.