Explore & discover

Helpful Links

iPhone 11 Pro BOGO promotion

Contributor

iPhone 11 Pro BOGO promotion

Hello!

Quick question - so I happened to order the iPhone 11 Pro when I was in the market to buy an iPhone X because I wasn't a fan of the square camera system on the 11's. After research, I found out it made more financial sense to just get the newest phone (11 Pro) because it was only a little bit more money.

I only needed one phone, but after going through the promotion - I found out that I ended up doing the BOGO promo+300 rewards card. So I qualified for a total of $700 off.

MY QUESTION: I dont have any intention on activating or using the 2nd phone on my plan itself due to not needing the extra line which is what the qualification is. Can I not use this 2nd phone and just return it? Can I sell it to someone else that has AT&T without repercussions on my account with AT&T? Does anyone know for sure how that works? 

Please let me know if you have expert knowledge on this matter. I dont want to lose out of my promotion deal I got, but I also don't need a 2nd phone that requires a new line.

Message 1 of 11
ACE - Sage

Re: iPhone 11 Pro BOGO promotion

You better cancel the 2nd line and phone.  

You do not have a choice with a second phone if you do not activate it when it arrives - on your plan and on that phone number your entire account may be flagged for fraud and terminated.  You also have to keep both lines active in order to meet the minimum bill requirement and get credits on second phone. 

You would be paying an extra $60 a month for a $700 credit over  30 months. 

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 11
Contributor

I'm not sure about the whole flagging for fraud thing.. I was told I could simply not open and return it and call it a day. I just don't want to lose the promotion I'm receiving is all.

Message 3 of 11
ACE - Sage

@danmand00d wrote:

I'm not sure about the whole flagging for fraud thing.. I was told I could simply not open and return it and call it a day. I just don't want to lose the promotion I'm receiving is all.

You are not going to get any promotion. There is no promotion for purchasing one phone on one cell phone line. Which is all you want.  The return period for a cell phone is 14 days.  All the promos arrive well after 14 days.   There is no way you can Scam a profit out of this, they aren’t idiots. 

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 11
Master
Solution
Accepted by Administrator (Administrator)
Accepted by davidbk
‎09-18-2019 7:09 AM

You can return the phone within 14 days, that’s true.  But they will cancel the promotion.  No $700 off, no $300 gift card, you’ll pay full price price for the one phone you keep, and you may have to pay a restocking fee for returning the phone.  Best to cancel it now before you get the phones.

Tags (1)
Message 5 of 11
Contributor

Wouldn't it be cool if they offered their existing customers half of the deals they offer new customers?

Message 6 of 11
ACE - Sage

@SeanR87 wrote:

Wouldn't it be cool if they offered their existing customers half of the deals they offer new customers?

They would have to raise all our rates over its current per line  cost to cover the expense if they went back to “free” phones.  

1% of customers switch.  Out of 147 million, that’s about 1.5 million.   Do the math.  Figure 1/4 of 147 million get a free phone each year.  36.75 mil x 700 phone = 25.725 billion.  AT&T would have to raise every line fee $14 to cover that cost and remain profitable.  But $700 is kind of a bottom end phone now.  

Back in 2014 AT&T changed the business model to offer lower cost services but each customer would pay for their phone at a retail price.   I instantly lowered my bill $160 a month by switching from Verizon.  My bill is still lower, but now have unlimited data rather than trying to squeak by with 6 or 10 gigs.  

The current model allows customers to buy cheaper phones or whatever they want to keep a bill lower, or buy a $2,000 phone if they can afford it.   But the most important thing is my service fee is not paying for somebody else to get a $2000 phone. 

It’s very fair.   

Message 7 of 11
Contributor

Correct, they did change their business model, but I don't recall rates ever being decreased.

I've been with AT&T for about 15 years.  They used to provide free phones if you signed a two-year contract.

Now, there are no contracts, and we pay full retail price for all devices.

I'm looking to upgrade, but every single 'deal' they advertise requires the addition of a new line.

I'm not asking for a free phone, I would just like some of their offers to be available to existing customers.

It's hard to justify paying $1000 for a new phone every 2-3 years.

Maybe an offer could be half price or some discount on prior year devices?

Message 8 of 11
Contributor

I ordered TWO iPhone Max Pros on Oct 9th during the BOGO promotion. ATT had us change our entire plan around and add three new lines all unlimited.. Great my daughters were soooo excited to get their new phones. BUT ATT shipped to the wrong address SO it got sent back to ATT. Nobody called us, nobody emailed us, no contact once so ever. We called on the 11th to check the status of the order. We were informed that the phones could not be shipped and were returned. THEN THEY SAID WE CANNOT SEND THEM TO THE CORRECT ADDRESS AND WE CAN NOT GET THE BOGO BECAUSE THE PROMOTION HAD EXPIRED. EVEN THOUGH WE ORDERED ON THE FIRST DAY OF THE BOGO AND THEY WERE DEVELIVED TO THE WRONG ADDRESS.. ATT WILL NOT GIVE US THE BOGO OFFER. WE HAVE SPENT OVER 3 HOURS ON THE PHONE WITH DIFFERENT DEPARTMENTS WHO SAY NO PROBLEM IN THE BEGINNING BUT THEN SAY SORRY AFTER AN HOUR ONLINE. We have been with ATT for over 10 years and are so upset with the way we have been treated we are considering going to version. IS THERE ANYONE WHO CAN HELP US OR CARES ABOUT THE WAY WE HAVE BEEN TREATED??

Message 9 of 11
ACE - Sage

@mmartin1234   So wait 5 minutes.  Cancel the lines.  And read the website for the next BOGO deal.  

Message 10 of 11
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements
NEW - Take a look at our best value & price ever for unlimited wireless - AT&T Unlimited Starter and AT&T Unlimited Extra plans!

Additional Support