The new iPhone 15
Wild Banchi's profile

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

Tuesday, June 19th, 2012 6:02 PM

iOS 5.1.1 Music App Issues on iPhone 4

It's good to be back at the Community for a bit. However, I have a slight issue with my recently acquired iPhone 4 that I need some assistace with...

I set up my iPhone 4 yesterday - cut my SIM card to fit the microSIM slot and activated it through iTunes. Everything went well, as I had hoped it to. Later on, I tried to play one of the songs in my library that I had downloaded fresh from my iTunes library to the phone, and for some reason, it would not play. I tried another song; same thing. I figured out that the songs would just not play, would try to play but would fail, or just skip to the next song. Only a specific 3 out of my 25 (and counting) songs would play - and they're not even my top favorites. 

I googled this issue, and figured out that I am not the only one that this has happened to. It seems to be an issue with iOS 5 in general, and users like myself are definitely not happy about it. I have tried posted solutions such as un-syncing the music from the phone, then re-syncing it (multiple times), a hard reset, and even a complete restore. It still has not worked. I have spent hours on this issue and dedicated my whole day yesterday to setting up ONE phone instead of alternating between two/three yesterday, and I am getting very frustrated. It still does not work like it should.

I thought I would try to download non-iTunes purchased music to the phone, and would you believe it; IT PLAYS! I don't want to download potentially illegal music all to my phone just to replace the songs that were purchased from iTunes that refuse to play for me. 

Help would be MUCH appreciated, as always. 

Wild Banchi

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

7.1K Messages

12 years ago

Do you have iCloud and music match? If so, you can delete the song from your library but not from iCloud and re-download a fresh copy? Make sure iCloud has a good version.

Btw do the songs play on your computer?

Good luck and welcome back.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

12 years ago

I figured out the problem. You're right, youngjm, the iTunes files were corrupt. Originally, I had my iTunes account acitvated on my newer laptop, but I was not able to use it because I was loaning it to a friend. I recently downloaded iTunes on my older laptop which I'm currently using, and the music files must not have transferred correctly when I set it up.

I plugged my phone into the newer laptop as I had just gotten it back, tried to play a few songs that were originally not working, and voila - they played! I then proceeded to download all of my songs, and now they work! 😄

Now the two songs that I did NOT download from iTunes are not on my newer laptop, but this one, instead. They both work on this one. Would it be safe to delete the corrupt files downloaded from iTunes on this computer, and keep the other two that were downloaded from a third party? The iTunes songs are already backed up on my newer laptop, but the non-dowloaded songs do not show up because I downloaded them onto this laptop. 

Do you think I could download the two non-iTunes songs onto my iPhone without replacing the songs that did not work before? Or would that delete the working ones and put only the two songs on there?

Sorry for some possible confusion, but you have definitely helped, youngjm. 🙂

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

12 years ago

Let me try that.

And interesting...I followed your suggestion to play the songs in my iTunes library and they skip around until they play one of the specific three songs, just like how it's happening on the phone.

I'll follow back with you once I try the iCloud music match. Crossing my fingers.

Master

• 

7.1K Messages

12 years ago

Good luck definitely sounds like corrupt files.

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

12 years ago

I set up iCloud on the phone, but I went to iTunes Match and it looks like it's a $25 annual subscription, which I'm not interested in paying...so I guess I don't have iTunes Match, after all...

Am I able to access iCloud from iTunes? If so, would you happen to know how I would go about doing that?

Master

• 

7.1K Messages

12 years ago

If I understand correctly you should be fine deleting the corrupt versions. Keep in mind too that even without iTunes match, you should be Able to find copies to download again by going into the iTunes store and finding the songs in the purchased section.

Really glad things are working out! Once everything is working right I would copy the iTunes library and all your associated media to a second external drive for backup purposes.

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

12 years ago

I really want to thank you for your help, youngjm. If you had not suggested to check the songs in iTunes, I would have had to deal with only three working songs.

Thanks again! 🙂

Master

• 

7.1K Messages

12 years ago

You are welcome!

Scholar

• 

121 Messages

12 years ago

@Wild Banchi wrote:

I thought I would try to download non-iTunes purchased music to the phone, and would you believe it; IT PLAYS! I don't want to download potentially illegal music all to my phone just to replace the songs that were purchased from iTunes that refuse to play for me. 

Help would be MUCH appreciated, as always. 

Wild Banchi

Are you implying with your comment (underlined above) that downloading songs not purchased from iTunes onto your phone/device would be considered potentially illegal...or did I misinterpret what context you meant by "download"?

In any case, you could try redownloading your iTunes-purchased songs (at least the ones that won't play on your phone) to your iTunes library and then try to sync them again, as you can download any iTunes content that you purchased from the iTunes Store as many times as you want.   Just to be safe--you may want to delete the problematic songs from your iTunes library first, but don't delete the songs themselves from your computer entirely--move them to a different directory on your computer as backup in case for whatever reason you're not able to redownload the songs from iTunes.

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

12 years ago

Yes, those songs would be downloaded illegally, would they not?

And thank you for your input. I did not know that I could re-download songs that were already purchased. I'll delete the corrupt songs and re-download fresh copies so that I won't have to worry about this the next time I sync my iPhone to my older laptop.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.