The new iPhone 15
FaithRisa's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Tuesday, December 13th, 2011 7:48 PM

iMessage

Greetings~

I have a friend using an iPhone 4s on AT&T with iOS5 - Sometimes the text comes through via iMessage and sometimes it counts against my limited text package.  Any idea what would cause this inconsistency?

Thanks in advance,

Faith Smiley Happy

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Professor

• 

3.1K Messages

12 years ago

For iMessage to work

* both sender and receiver have to have network connectivity

* both sender and receiver have to have "use iMessage" enabled (whatever the setting is in the messaging app - you can turn off iMessage)

* the Apple iMessage server has to be working

If any of those fails, the messge app falls back to use SMS.

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

12 years ago

Are you using an iPhone as well, or any other Apple iMessage capable device?

Professor

• 

3.4K Messages

12 years ago

if your on a Iphone and you text a ipod or ipad it will be free for them.but if they text you the imessage goes aginst your text plan. Apple  never stated you will have free texting,Imessaging  was a way to give ipad and Touch free texting incoming and outgoing via WiFi,but it will count aginst your texting plan.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

12 years ago

My friend and I are both using the iPhone with the iOS5 - It's just inconsistent that sometimes it comes through as iMessage and sometimes it does not.  Just a little frustrating as I do not have unlimited text.

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

12 years ago

The only other thing I can think of is that your friend must be alternating between sending text messages to you using the iMessage app and the stock text messaging app.

Professor

• 

3.4K Messages

12 years ago

@Wild Banchi wrote:
The only other thing I can think of is that your friend must be alternating between sending text messages to you using the iMessage app and the stock text messaging app.

ONLY time Imessaging works when WiFi is on. i notice when connected to the WiFi il text my wife and it will show up as a Imessage when  WiFi is on.

Scholar

• 

235 Messages

12 years ago

Mine works via WiFi or 3G -- but it doesn't work on both of them all the time.  Sometimes it goes via regular SMS regardless of being connected to WiFi or not.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

12 years ago

@Wild Banchi wrote:
They are the same app and the app decides whether to send via iMessage or via SMS. There is a setting in messages for "send as SMS" that you can turn off. This should force texts to go via iMessage only.

Professor

• 

3.4K Messages

12 years ago

i understand now.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

12 years ago

Thanks, makes sense.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.