Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Dec 13, 2011
11:48:30 AM
iMessage

Greetings~

I have a friend using an iPhone 4s on AT&T with iOS5 - Sometimes the text comes through via iMessage and sometimes it counts against my limited text package.  Any idea what would cause this inconsistency?

Thanks in advance,

Faith Smiley Happy

Greetings~

I have a friend using an iPhone 4s on AT&T with iOS5 - Sometimes the text comes through via iMessage and sometimes it counts against my limited text package.  Any idea what would cause this inconsistency?

Thanks in advance,

Faith Smiley Happy

Accepted Solution

iMessage

10 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(10)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 13, 2011 4:03:45 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Are you using an iPhone as well, or any other Apple iMessage capable device?

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Are you using an iPhone as well, or any other Apple iMessage capable device?

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: iMessage

2 of 11 (6,185 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 13, 2011 4:09:12 PM
(0)
Professor
Edited by graphite07 on Dec 13, 2011 at 4:11:36 PM

if your on a Iphone and you text a ipod or ipad it will be free for them.but if they text you the imessage goes aginst your text plan. Apple  never stated you will have free texting,Imessaging  was a way to give ipad and Touch free texting incoming and outgoing via WiFi,but it will count aginst your texting plan.

if your on a Iphone and you text a ipod or ipad it will be free for them.but if they text you the imessage goes aginst your text plan. Apple  never stated you will have free texting,Imessaging  was a way to give ipad and Touch free texting incoming and outgoing via WiFi,but it will count aginst your texting plan.

hello!!!

[ Edited ]
3 of 11 (6,182 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 13, 2011 4:27:40 PM
(0)
Tutor

My friend and I are both using the iPhone with the iOS5 - It's just inconsistent that sometimes it comes through as iMessage and sometimes it does not.  Just a little frustrating as I do not have unlimited text.

My friend and I are both using the iPhone with the iOS5 - It's just inconsistent that sometimes it comes through as iMessage and sometimes it does not.  Just a little frustrating as I do not have unlimited text.

4 of 11 (6,176 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 13, 2011 4:53:13 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
The only other thing I can think of is that your friend must be alternating between sending text messages to you using the iMessage app and the stock text messaging app.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

The only other thing I can think of is that your friend must be alternating between sending text messages to you using the iMessage app and the stock text messaging app.

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 11 (6,168 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 13, 2011 5:26:03 PM
(0)
Professor

Wild Banchi wrote:

ONLY time Imessaging works when WiFi is on. i notice when connected to the WiFi il text my wife and it will show up as a Imessage when  WiFi is on.

Wild Banchi wrote:

ONLY time Imessaging works when WiFi is on. i notice when connected to the WiFi il text my wife and it will show up as a Imessage when  WiFi is on.

hello!!!

6 of 11 (6,162 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 14, 2011 1:25:25 AM
(0)
Scholar

Mine works via WiFi or 3G -- but it doesn't work on both of them all the time.  Sometimes it goes via regular SMS regardless of being connected to WiFi or not.

Mine works via WiFi or 3G -- but it doesn't work on both of them all the time.  Sometimes it goes via regular SMS regardless of being connected to WiFi or not.

7 of 11 (6,126 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 14, 2011 4:42:43 AM
(0)
Former Employee

Wild Banchi wrote:
They are the same app and the app decides whether to send via iMessage or via SMS. There is a setting in messages for "send as SMS" that you can turn off. This should force texts to go via iMessage only.

Wild Banchi wrote:
They are the same app and the app decides whether to send via iMessage or via SMS. There is a setting in messages for "send as SMS" that you can turn off. This should force texts to go via iMessage only.

8 of 11 (6,115 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Dec 14, 2011 6:00:49 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

For iMessage to work

* both sender and receiver have to have network connectivity

* both sender and receiver have to have "use iMessage" enabled (whatever the setting is in the messaging app - you can turn off iMessage)

* the Apple iMessage server has to be working

If any of those fails, the messge app falls back to use SMS.

For iMessage to work

* both sender and receiver have to have network connectivity

* both sender and receiver have to have "use iMessage" enabled (whatever the setting is in the messaging app - you can turn off iMessage)

* the Apple iMessage server has to be working

If any of those fails, the messge app falls back to use SMS.

9 of 11 (6,101 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 14, 2011 6:13:53 PM
(0)
Professor

i understand now.

i understand now.

hello!!!