iMessage sent, but received (and charged) as text message. Workaround?

Contributor

iMessage sent, but received (and charged) as text message. Workaround?

Very often, I message someone I know has an iphone and it definitely says "iMessage" in the text box. I hit send, and it shows "blue" in the bubble indicating that it was sent as an iMessage. Then a few minutes later, it turns green, and a small explanation appears under it, "sent as text message". I end up getting billed for sending and receiving text messages, instead of the free imessaging.

I called AT&T and they explained WHY it happens, so that is not my question.

Does anyone know of a work-around, or a setting that will prevent it from being *completed* unless it indeed is received as an iMessage? (Side note, these are friends and family and about 2/3 of the messages ARE received as iMessages, so I know the recipients are able to receive and send.)

Thank you.

Message 1 of 5
ACE - Expert

Re: iMessage sent, but received (and charged) as text message. Workaround?

not2brightDOTcom wrote:

Very often, I message someone I know has an iphone and it definitely says "iMessage" in the text box. I hit send, and it shows "blue" in the bubble indicating that it was sent as an iMessage. Then a few minutes later, it turns green, and a small explanation appears under it, "sent as text message". I end up getting billed for sending and receiving text messages, instead of the free imessaging.

I called AT&T and they explained WHY it happens, so that is not my question.

Does anyone know of a work-around, or a setting that will prevent it from being *completed* unless it indeed is received as an iMessage? (Side note, these are friends and family and about 2/3 of the messages ARE received as iMessages, so I know the recipients are able to receive and send.)

Thank you.

Go to Settings/Messages and set "Send as SMS" to OFF.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 5
Highlighted
Contributor

Thank you. Does this also apply to incoming texts messages?

Message 3 of 5
ACE - Expert

not2brightDOTcom wrote:

Unfortunately, no. The only way to stop incoming text messages is to call customer service and put a block on your line.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 4 of 5
Expert

sandblaster wrote:

not2brightDOTcom wrote:

Unfortunately, no. The only way to stop incoming text messages is to call customer service and put a block on your line.

but that will also prevent you from recieving and sending texts to someone that does not have a iphone

Message 5 of 5
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support