The new iPhone 15
jdbright-124's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Thursday, February 7th, 2013 8:23 PM

iMessage sent, but received (and charged) as text message. Workaround?

Very often, I message someone I know has an iphone and it definitely says "iMessage" in the text box. I hit send, and it shows "blue" in the bubble indicating that it was sent as an iMessage. Then a few minutes later, it turns green, and a small explanation appears under it, "sent as text message". I end up getting billed for sending and receiving text messages, instead of the free imessaging.

I called AT&T and they explained WHY it happens, so that is not my question.

Does anyone know of a work-around, or a setting that will prevent it from being *completed* unless it indeed is received as an iMessage? (Side note, these are friends and family and about 2/3 of the messages ARE received as iMessages, so I know the recipients are able to receive and send.)

Thank you.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

11 years ago

@not2brightDOTcom wrote:

Very often, I message someone I know has an iphone and it definitely says "iMessage" in the text box. I hit send, and it shows "blue" in the bubble indicating that it was sent as an iMessage. Then a few minutes later, it turns green, and a small explanation appears under it, "sent as text message". I end up getting billed for sending and receiving text messages, instead of the free imessaging.

I called AT&T and they explained WHY it happens, so that is not my question.

Does anyone know of a work-around, or a setting that will prevent it from being *completed* unless it indeed is received as an iMessage? (Side note, these are friends and family and about 2/3 of the messages ARE received as iMessages, so I know the recipients are able to receive and send.)

Thank you.

Go to Settings/Messages and set "Send as SMS" to OFF.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

11 years ago

@not2brightDOTcom wrote:

Thank you. Does this also apply to incoming texts messages?

Unfortunately, no. The only way to stop incoming text messages is to call customer service and put a block on your line.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@sandblaster wrote:

@not2brightDOTcom wrote:

Unfortunately, no. The only way to stop incoming text messages is to call customer service and put a block on your line.

but that will also prevent you from recieving and sending texts to someone that does not have a iphone

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.