The new iPhone 15
dmh101772's profile

Mentor

• 

63 Messages

Sunday, October 17th, 2010 2:52 AM

google voice

hi guys.....can some PLEASE explain HOW google voice works over the iphone,please.....and explain it to me like i am 3 year old,lol.....I have a gmail account,i have the iphone...i want to make calls to canada,which i see are free,YAY ME!! but i am really not understanding HOW to call from my phone to their cell phone..big thanks in advance!!!

Accepted Solution

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

13 years ago

@dmh101772 wrote:

i guess i am just trying to figure out if i can actually use the call feature from my iphone to another cell phone in canada....

Yes, it is very simple to do.  You place the call from the google voice app (3rd party), the web app, or the website.  Google voice then calls you at whichever number you tell it to contact you at, and then completes the call to the other party.

You are using minutes from your voice plan, but long distance is charged via GoogleVoice.  As far as AT&T is concerned, you are simply making a local call.

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

13 years ago

Have you tried reading any of the help information online related to google voice?

Here's a direct link: http://www.google.com/support/voice/bin/topic.py?hl=en&topic=29355

Keep in mind that GV is NOT a VOIP app, it will count against your minutes on your plan.

The basics are:

1. You can call your GV number from your cell, follow the prompts and then call another number.
  2. You can use a GV app to dial a number, when doing it this way, GV calls you back.  Once you answer, it then completes the call to the other party.
  3. You can use the GV web app to call a number.  Once you enter the number, GV will call you, once you answer GV will then complete the call to the other party.

Scholar

• 

235 Messages

13 years ago

@dmh101772 wrote:

hi guys.....can some PLEASE explain HOW google voice works over the iphone,please.....and explain it to me like i am 3 year old ... [blah blah blah]

It's always a good idea to explain the research you've done on your own, and what parts of it you don't understand.  Often, when forum users read posts from others requesting 'hand-holding' as opposed to searching the vast amount a information available on a topic, they're reluctant to assist.  If it appears you've made some sort of effort and are stuck, that's a different story Robot Indifferent

Mentor

• 

63 Messages

13 years ago

i guess i am just trying to figure out if i can actually use the call feature from my iphone to another cell phone in canada....I am looking at (tho i havent read ALL the links) I am trying to figure out if i can do this or not....sorry for being vague in my first post,it was late and i am just trying to get info 🙂

Mentor

• 

63 Messages

13 years ago

thanks guys!!!!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.