For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The new iPhone 15
Mavrik's profile

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

Tuesday, January 31st, 2017 2:49 AM

gives me his Verizon iPhone 6 (model: MG5W2LL/A) but I'm on ATT with an iPhone 5

My brother gives me his Verizon iPhone 6 (model: MG5W2LL/A) but I'm on ATT with an iPhone 5. I've set up as new the 6 and put my 5's SIM into the 6. The 6 is good on wifi (calls, mail, messages, FB, Safari, etc) but not some apps without. It gives, "Could not activate cellular data network. Turn on cellular data or wi-fi to access data." All account related config on Verizon and ATT is set right. ATT tried new SIM and more but issue continues. Googling suggests wide range of responses. Will that Verizon 6 work in place of my ATT 5? Thnx in advance.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

7 years ago

A Verizon iPhone 6 will work perfectly well.  Is your plan compatible?  And you would need a new sim to use HD voice and wifi calling.  

Unless you disabled data on your plan, it should work great.

Guru

• 

691 Messages

7 years ago

@Mavrik It should work fine seeing that the iPhone 5's and later use the same nan-sim card. To @lizdance40's point above, double check your plan and make sure everything is active.

Also (I've never heard of this, but hey there's a 1st for everything)... check AT&T's IMEI checker to make sure the exact model will work. 

https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/byop.html

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

Verizon community site favored likely success, once I dialed in on right solution source which was ATT online chat. Store front put in new SIM, updated details and said "no" basically. A repair shop, said, "no". Half of my reading on internet say "no" - but with some saying "yes", I persisted. Online chat remotely corrected in 10 minutes, I'm good to go. Thanks.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

ATT community site favored likely success, once I dialed in on right solution source which was ATT online chat. Store front put in new SIM, updated details and said "no" basically. A repair shop, said, "no". Half of my reading on internet say "no" - but with some saying "yes", I persisted. Online chat remotely corrected in 10 minutes, I'm good to go. Thanks.

Guru

• 

691 Messages

7 years ago

@Mavrik glad it worked out in your favor! 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.