Explore & discover

Helpful Links

eSIM for iPhone XS, XS MAX and XR

eSIM for iPhone XS, XS MAX and XR

I have an AT&T nano-SIM card and another nano-SIM card with Chinese carrier. I learned that the unlocked iphone Xs MAX can have a nano-SIM and an eSIM working together. But the Chinese carrier didn't support eSIM. So I want to transform my AT&T nano-SIM card into eSIM so that my two phone number can both work on the iphone. How can I change my AT&T nano-SIM card to eSIM?

Message 2 of 184
Master

Re: eSIM for iPhone Xs MAX

Those articles say nothing other than how eSIM should should work in theory on the new phones.  The reality is that first Apple has to enable the eSIM at some unknown time in the future, plus AT&T has to put out their policy on eSIMs for the new phone (whether they will allow use of an AT&T eSIM for an AT&T account holder, or just for someone who has a different carrier as primary, locking/unlocking issues, etc.)

How Apple and others think two-SIM phones SHOULD work and how AT&T ALLOWs them to work on phones tied to their network could be two different things.  Right now, it’s very much just wait and see, and too early to answer specific questions about whether one can do specific combinations of SIMs.

Message 11 of 184
ACE - Sage

Re: eSIM for iPhone Xs MAX

@dwill05

I have to agree with you, and add, ‘will all employees and retailers be properly trained in activation of eSim?’  

The first eSim in watches confuzzled a few.  They didn’t know how to activate, or deactivate, for use with another carrier.  

Currently, if you bought an iPad through ATT and they activated the eSim, it’s permanently locked to ATT.  I know, “wait, what?   I thought iPads were NEVER locked?”   Well the removable sim slot is not locked, but the embedded sim is forever locked to ATT.  If you buy an iPad somewhere else and have ATT activate the eSim, it’s not locked and can be used with other carriers. Verizon will not activate the eSim at all.   

So I suspect the  eSim day has not quite come.   Apple is forcing the issue and maybe that’s what it takes 

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 12 of 184
Mentor

Iphone XS Max eSim with ATT

I bought an unlocked iPhone XS Max. I took the sim card out of my old iPhone and put it in the new iPhone and its working just fine. What i would like to do is move activate the eSim with my current account so that when i travel i can pop in various sim cards for the respective country i am in. I went to the ATT store and the guy there had no idea what i was talking about. He even said i have to buy a sim card to put in there. I tried explaining to him that i just want the eSim to be activated with my account so that the nano-sim slot can be free. Has anyone been able to do this? I did some googling and the there is a page where apple mentions the support of ATT and when you click the hyperlink it goes to a 404 page (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209096 then click on ATT).

Message 13 of 184
ACE - Expert

Re: Iphone XS Max eSim with ATT

Dual sim is not supported in iOS 12 yet....  Apple says its coming later this year...

https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT209044

https://appleinsider.com/articles/18/09/14/how-dual-sim-works-with-apples-iphone-xs-xs-max

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 14 of 184
Master

Also, AT&T hasn’t announced if, or under what conditions, they would support eSIMs in iPhones.

Message 15 of 184
Mentor

Well don't i feel silly... Thanks!!

Message 16 of 184

Re: Iphone new dual sim model

AT&T not ready for new iPhone with dual sim. Spent 7 hours between Friday and Saturday trying to get a QR code from at&t to make this new phone work. No luck. Spent over an hour on a conference call with Apple and AT&T both sides saying it’s the others fault. 3 hours in a retail store with an Apple rep and an AT&T rep. They called their people and no one has answers other than AT&T is not supporting dual sim at this time. $1100+ on phone because of this feature to find out it isn’t supported by the carrier. iPhone Xs, AT&T what’s up? When will you support this feature? 

Message 17 of 184
ACE - Expert

Even apple has said its not ready.  It was said to begin with that dual SIM would be supported at a later date with iOS update.

Message 18 of 184
Contributor

Same sad story for me.  AT&T (store associates and over the phone advanced tech support) has been pointing fingers, while also admitting that the dual SIM capabiliti8es should be able to be used but they cannot find anyone within AT&T that can figure it out.  SOOO Frustrating!!

Message 19 of 184
ACE - Expert

It not active in iOS yet.  The software is not there to make the esim work.  Once it works you can pick carriers.

Message 20 of 184
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Do you need to fix, replace or track a device? We Can Help With That!

Additional Support