Explore & discover

Helpful Links

eSIM for iPhone XS, XS MAX and XR

eSIM for iPhone XS, XS MAX and XR

I have an AT&T nano-SIM card and another nano-SIM card with Chinese carrier. I learned that the unlocked iphone Xs MAX can have a nano-SIM and an eSIM working together. But the Chinese carrier didn't support eSIM. So I want to transform my AT&T nano-SIM card into eSIM so that my two phone number can both work on the iphone. How can I change my AT&T nano-SIM card to eSIM?

Message 2 of 184

Re: eSIM for iPhone Xs MAX

A quick update for now because I need to head out for the day.   As many of you suggested,  I do believe that my phone is locked. I unlocked it before leaving the US and have an email from AT&T confirming that  my phone was unlocked.  This unlock was done before I switched to the eSIM, so perhaps the AT&T store (inadvertently) locked the phone again.  I will ask AT&T to unlock the phone again and will report back on the results. Many thanks and I will properly acknowledge with kudos when I return.

Message 181 of 184
Guru

Dumb question but don’t you still need to sync your iPhone via iTunes to unlock it after the carrier approves the unlock?
Message 182 of 184

The instructions from AT&T were that you simply insert the new SIM and it should work.  I had an old unlocked iPhone 6 and it worked perfectly after inserting the new SIM card.  No iTunes needed.  Still waiting for AT&T to unlock m yiPhone Xs (again).

Message 183 of 184

I used the AT&T unlock page, request was granted within 15 minutes, inserted new SIM card and all i well.  Two lines now working as expected.

Message 184 of 184
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support