The new iPhone 15
xupeiqi0429's profile

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

Saturday, September 15th, 2018 5:58 PM

Closed

eSIM for iPhone XS, XS MAX and XR

I have an AT&T nano-SIM card and another nano-SIM card with Chinese carrier. I learned that the unlocked iphone Xs MAX can have a nano-SIM and an eSIM working together. But the Chinese carrier didn't support eSIM. So I want to transform my AT&T nano-SIM card into eSIM so that my two phone number can both work on the iphone. How can I change my AT&T nano-SIM card to eSIM?

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

Yes, you have to go to the store, since they have to verify your identity and that you have the authority to manage the account that your phone is on.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

I am trying to get an eSIM from AT&T to no avail getting the round around between Customer Service Sales people and Store Sales people

Guru

• 

1.1K Messages

5 years ago

I've been using one for a month plus.  The eSIM card cost $6.  Here is a link to sample card:

You have to validate identity in the store so. It can't be done with tech support.  You can, however, get tech support to note your file which will put some downward pressure on the store.

Make sure you go to a company store, not a dealer.  Some dealers look like company stores so double check.  If you've consistently had problems with another store, try another one.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

Yes I finally went to a corporate store, I am aware of the difference, that help me however still didn’t do a good job.  The rep didn’t have experience on the eSIM so she was learning as she was doing her job after many attempts of getting it to work, one because it was not connected to wifi for example, so at the end when it worked she took the eSIM QR card back and I left the store, then it hit me...why did she took the QR card?  I paid for it, no receipt and no card.  I went back to the store and they said oh we shredded the card, I told them what if I have to reset my iPhone and I don’t have the eSIM?  They said well it wouldn’t work, NONSENSE!  They made a mistake of shredding it...  AT&T needs to train their personnel on eSIM procedures.  Now I am out of the card, they just gave me a receipt......

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

Unless you buy the same phone with a slightly cheaper baseprice and with a bigger rebate (right now) from Apple and it is unlocked....dont waste your time buying phones, at least new ones, from AT&T.  They do nothing but benefit themselves and try to burn you contractually.  

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

I also successfully transferred my AT&T account to an eSIM for my iPhone XS.  I'm now in Southeast Asia and went to a store of the largest carrier local telecom.  They sold me a Nano SIM and offered to install it.  However, they were unsuccessful.  The error messages seemed to imply that the card was not compatible with the phone.  If someone has successfully installed a physical SIM after transferring AT&T to the eSIM I would appreciate any tips for when I try again in a mobile carrier store.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

5 years ago

Make sure your iPhone is universal (unlock) version.

Guru

• 

1.1K Messages

5 years ago

Greetings from Suva Fiji where my iPhone XS is happily running with an ATT eSIM and a Vodafone SIM in slot one. I would make sure that your physical SIM slot is unlocked.  I got my Phone from the Apple Store and don't have any subsidies on it so that is not my issue.  I am going to warn you that your battery will go down faster in dual SIM mode, particularly where there physical SIM is running in HSPA mode.  I am using an auxiliary battery to cope with this.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

As others have said, this is likely due to your phone being "SIM locked" to AT&T.  If you bought it from an AT&T store, or on one of their Next plans, then it is likely locked to prevent it being used on other networks until the plan commitment has been met.  AT&T used to make you jump through all sorts of hoops to unlock any of their phones, but it appears that the process is a lot easier now and you can even unlock one that's still on an installment plan as long as you've owned it for at least 60 days and your payments are current.  See https://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/wireless/KM1008728

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

A quick update for now because I need to head out for the day.   As many of you suggested,  I do believe that my phone is locked. I unlocked it before leaving the US and have an email from AT&T confirming that  my phone was unlocked.  This unlock was done before I switched to the eSIM, so perhaps the AT&T store (inadvertently) locked the phone again.  I will ask AT&T to unlock the phone again and will report back on the results. Many thanks and I will properly acknowledge with kudos when I return.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.