Explore & discover

Helpful Links

eSIM for iPhone XS, XS MAX and XR

eSIM for iPhone XS, XS MAX and XR

I have an AT&T nano-SIM card and another nano-SIM card with Chinese carrier. I learned that the unlocked iphone Xs MAX can have a nano-SIM and an eSIM working together. But the Chinese carrier didn't support eSIM. So I want to transform my AT&T nano-SIM card into eSIM so that my two phone number can both work on the iphone. How can I change my AT&T nano-SIM card to eSIM?

Message 2 of 152
Tutor

Re: Iphone XS Max eSim with ATT

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/esim-dual-sim-q-a.2150226/ 

All of those issues have been refuted here by customers that have gained access. 

Message 131 of 152
ACE - Expert

@aha2988 wrote:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/esim-dual-sim-q-a.2150226/ 

All of those issues have been refuted here by customers that have gained access. 

Yeah well i have seen otherwise.  I have seen what a verizon 2g iphone xs looks like.  If you have a verizon esim it will go to 2g when you insert another sim in the primary sim card tray.  The esim is a secondary sim.

Now the dev beta 12.1.1 does fix the problem.

And a few folks in a thread on the interwebs means its gospel.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 132 of 152
Tutor

@GLIMMERMAN76

Fortunately I'm only looking to use At&t, and I'm not even asking them to support/setup dual sims on my phone. I've only requested my physical sim be converted to a QR code for the esim on the Xs. (which they clearly have the ability to do so but are choosing not to) I personally do a lot of international travel and having a free sim slot would be great for data plans in other countries. It should be up to the consumer as to what they would like to use. Even if there are issues, that doesn't make it unusable. 

Message 133 of 152
ACE - Expert

@aha2988 wrote:

@GLIMMERMAN76

Fortunately I'm only looking to use At&t, and I'm not even asking them to support/setup dual sims on my phone. I've only requested my physical sim be converted to a QR code for the esim on the Xs. (which they clearly have the ability to do so but are choosing not to) I personally do a lot of international travel and having a free sim slot would be great for data plans in other countries. It should be up to the consumer as to what they would like to use. Even if there are issues, that doesn't make it unusable. 

what you described is dual sim.  Personal I want the esim for overseas travel as using a QR code and having more than one plan on my phone is better than having to keep track of sim cards.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 134 of 152
Tutor

@GLIMMERMAN76

You are correct, i was describing dual sims. very impressive comprehension skills you have. 

Its not like im planning to go to china next week so wouldn't need the dual sim capability until I travel over seas in the future and depending on the country i go to I may have to use a physical sim. Would be quite handy if I could go ahead and get my personal plan on a QR code so I would be prepared once outside the US to just pop in a sim card and not have to fuss with keeping up with my personal sim card and potentially losing it. Actually it would just be quite handy if I could use the hardware I purchased for its intended purposes.it was frustrating enough that Apple wasn't ready with ios 12.1 until after releasing the new phones is even more of a disappointment to learn the carriers aren't  ready.  

will it eventually be available?... Very Likely

Is it Unprofessional and embarrassing of Both apple and At&t as well as other carriers to release a product  feature that no one can use yet?... Extremely.. 

Would you keep your hybrid vehicle that you purchased to save fuel if the electric motor portion of the drive train wasn't functional for the first 3 months without raising red flags? Or if the A/C or heat wasn't functional for the first 3 months of ownership?

It may not seem like this issue is as much of an inconvenience as that would be but, many people specifically upgraded to the Xs, Xs Max, and Xr with a purpose to ditch their business phones or make international traveling more convenient as far as having access to data and communication. All who have purchased for that reason have been asked to patiently wait for the feature they specifically paid for without even mention of a possible release date. 

Message 135 of 152
Contributor

Re: When will ATT support eSim on iPhone xs

I called today and spoke with a rep at At&t and was told that the dual eSim capability would be supported sometime in December 2018.

Message 136 of 152

Re: Just asked AT&T for a QR code to activate eSim via customer service... "no support"

Dennispl, I wish I knew how to convince them to let me give it a whirl.  I have tried at several locations.  611 is definitely a no go.

Message 137 of 152
Contributor

How can I install ATT eSim on my iphone Xs

I have an unblocked Iphone Xs with 12.1 IOS and want to install my ATT line on the eSim card as the nanoSim card  is being used by another carrier

Message 138 of 152
ACE - Expert

Re: How can I install ATT eSim on my iphone Xs

You can’t, at least not yet. The esim is not yet supported by ATT. I don’t think it’s supported by any US carrier yet.

Message 139 of 152
Highlighted
Contributor

Thank you for voicing my frustration. I already had an iPhone X. The ONLY reason I upgraded to Xs Nac was because of dual sim. No one from neither AT&T nor Apple mentioned one possibility of this lengthy delay in using thus feature when I expressed that this was the only reason for upgrading. 

IMO, this is deception. In many ways and I’m more than annoyed that no one has answers. If consumers knew that the Dual/esim offering was coming, then both Apple & AT&T knew it. Why can’t these companies ever get it together and gave things ready so that they can honor their promises to customers. 

I biyfgt an unlocked phone - AT&T. So did many others. I’d invite you to get this together ASAP before some of us civsider taking our unlocked phone business elsewhere. This is ridiculous!!

Message 140 of 152
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support