The new iPhone 15
seehound's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Saturday, June 2nd, 2012 12:42 PM

data usage on iPhone 4

I've read all the previous threads and have not found an answer.  Since it's saturday and I can't speak with anyone for a few more hours I thought I'd at least vent.  

Just so we are clear - I have no push notifications, I fetch my mail manually and only at home where I use wifi.

Yesterday was the first day of my billing cycle.  The entire ttime the phone was in the house (with wifi) except for a two hour span when I took the kids fishing.  I used my phone twice during that time to send one picture each time to my husband.  Thats it.  

So this morning at 6AM I get a text stating the I have used 90% of my data.  In 1 day???  I have been on the 200 plan since getting an Iphone and have consistantly used about 125 except for one month when I used the phone for a GPS when we were lost in the hills of Arkansas - so that's understandable.

I checked my other 3 iphones and the data usage is:  Keep in mind this is only the 2nd day of my billing cycle and its only 7AM.  So in just over 24 hours we have all gone over what normally takes us a full month.

My son's phone that has never gone over 100 is already at 117.41 

My husband's phone which rarely reaches 50 is already at 45.68

My other son's phone which was taken away and has been turned off for the last 5 days is at 18.7

I did change my rate plan down to the 700 family talk plan staring this month - but that shouldn't have done anything to the data.

I'm really quite frustrated.  we all have IOS 5.1.1

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

12 years ago

WhewSmiley Very Happy

I spoke with Brenda through customer support and apparently there was a glitch in the billing and it had not reset itself from the last billing cycle.  She double checked and we are all down at 0mb/k used.

I am in a much better mood now.  She also said that my phone's ATT app where I check my usage would reset by Monday morning.  

Horrible way to get woken up - but all ended well.

Master

• 

7.1K Messages

12 years ago

Do you have a micro-cell in your house by chance?  There are reports that this is causing excessive data usage.  definately call ATT and have them look into it. There was also one report here that you should have seen that a manager or supervisor at the service centers knew about the issue and how to fix it and credited the account.  Customer service should open up here in an hour or two.

Good Luck!

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

12 years ago

What's a MicroCell??  

I will be heading straight into the ATT store as soon as they open.  

Master

• 

7.1K Messages

12 years ago

@seehound wrote:

What's a MicroCell??  

I will be heading straight into the ATT store as soon as they open.  

A micro-cell is a small device that you can get from ATT to create a mini-cell site in your home.  This is helpful when ATT's service is not very good at home.  Since you do not know what it is, definately speak with ATT to see what is going on.  You may be able to just call vs going into the store.  If you do go into a store, ask for the Manager.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

12 years ago

Thanks for listening to my vent.  I do not have a microcell.  I will be calling at 9 when they open and if that doesn't solve the problem I will head into the store at 10 when they open.

frustrating

Master

• 

7.1K Messages

12 years ago

Keep us updated and if you still don't get a good outcome, reach out to Jamileh who is a community Manger and an ATT employee here who might be able to help. 

Master

• 

7.1K Messages

12 years ago

Glad to hear itSmiley Happy

Scholar

• 

130 Messages

12 years ago

I posted a thread on this same subject before I found out this post was exactly the same as my problem. I checked via text message and my account is now showing all the correct information. The app is still behind, but someone mentioned it takes up to 48 hrs for the app to "catch up" with the real world, so I'm not concerned. 

Scholar

• 

121 Messages

12 years ago

@seehound wrote:

WhewSmiley Very Happy

I spoke with Brenda through customer support and apparently there was a glitch in the billing and it had not reset itself from the last billing cycle.  She double checked and we are all down at 0mb/k used.

LOL--where are the pundits here who, when people post on this forum about data reporting and/or billing discrpencies, almost always reply that it's very unlikely that it's a billing/reporting problem on AT&T's end (i.e., the data reported by AT&T is NEVER inaccurate)...that it must be something the user is doing and just doesn't realize it?  Just because it's never happened to those folks doesn't automatically mean that it has never and/or will never happen(ed) at all...  Smiley Wink

• 

2.8K Messages

12 years ago

Moved for better exposure
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.