The new iPhone 15
mmdierkes's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Saturday, December 31st, 2016 2:18 PM

data free direct tv streaming

wheni switched to at&t, the guy at the store said we had to stream the direct tv app for 1 min from our home wifi. i did and nothing happened so how do i know that direct tv isn't using my data?

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

It is free cellular data when you stream over the cellular network. If you are on your home wifi, you are not using cellular data, you are using data on your home internet service. When you stream over cellular data, you will see "sponsored data" when you check your data usage. That "sponsored data" does not count against your data plan.

Guru

• 

691 Messages

7 years ago

@mmdierkes

@sandblaster Is right - if your on your home wifi network you aren't using cellular data. If you are away from your home wifi and open the DirecTV or DirecTV Now app to stream the service - it shows up as 'Sponsored Data' - nothing special you need to or have to do.

If you wanted more details; look under your AT&T account 'Text/Data' usage online it shows up as 'Sponsored Data' (SP Data) and say 'Data Free TV: DTV App' vs. the standard 'Mobile Data' 

ACE - Sage

• 

116.4K Messages

7 years ago

AS it shows on my iPad using cellular only.  There is a delay in data reporting up to 3 days, but usually takes much less.   This is an older screen shot.

Warning:  not all data through the app is data free, or so they say.  Commercials may not run data free.  I am not seeing any chargeable data yet.

Top photo is off the iPad, bottom photo is my online account in My ATT app.

***NOTE.  This is data free from your mobile app only.  

IMG_5117.JPG

IMG_5119.JPG

2 Attachments

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

lizdance40 wrote:

Warning:  not all data through the app is data free, or so they say.  Commercials may not run data free.  I am not seeing any chargeable data yet.

The not free data would also include whatever data is used logging into your account, pulling up guide data, etc. I'm not sure you'd even notice that since it would be included in those 3 hour data usage reports.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

is there a difference between the direct tv app and direct tv now?

ACE - Sage

• 

116.4K Messages

7 years ago

They are different apps, but both mobile apps can be used data free on your ATT mobile devices.

There is also a Uverse app with the same perk.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.