The new iPhone 15
Traciegoff's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Saturday, November 26th, 2016 10:23 PM

Would like to know why price increase on iPhone 6 Plus

Approx last feb/march of 2015 I bought the iPhone 6 Plus at Best Buy for less than 350.00. Im not interested in any next plan if any kind. I'm looking to either buy another 6 plus or the new 7, my question is so far the cost of both are way much more than before n one would think the 6 is old being the 7 is out. So why the price increase of the 6 plus..? Is there any place that sells phone today with me walking out with a pd for iPhone 6 Plus or newer?

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

7 years ago

My wife still has an old iPhone 4 & would like to move to an iPhone 6 but doesn't give a flying hoot about the iPhone 7.  In fact, she would likely be fine with an iPhone 5 but it seems that the ONLY thing AT&T wants to do is to try to tie us all down to a monthly fee that is simply "selling" you th ephone at retail.  What benefit is that to the consumer?  None.  Maybe time to go to the compeitive afterall

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@Traciegoff That must have been some really special offer. Last Feb/March the normal price for a 6 Plus would have been around $670 for the 16GB model (the 6s Plus would have been around $770).

(Those may have been $20 less, I can't remember when they added the extra $20 for the plus)

(UPDATE: WAIT, now I see it says LAST Feb, but also says 2015, I bet this was a contract purchase, that was a $770-ish phone on contract)

I'd be interested in seeing that offer/receipt. Maybe they made you commit to a cell phone line for that?

There were several Black Friday sales this weekend which got you a $250 gift card back at Walmart, Best Buy or Target. I'm not sure if that offer continued through the weekend.  Other stores may have offers too.

When solved / helped, please mark your question as solved by clicking "Accept solution". This helps other people to find an answer more quickly.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

Then u must see my confusion.. let me mention I was forever back n forth with the kid trying to convince me to go with the next plan, even after my answer remained the same... I'm not interested in paying monthly for any phone. Never have never will. Too my knowledge no special anything. I walked n Best Buy located kid working att desk n bought iPhone 6 Plus (5.5 screen) for less than 350.00. Certainly I have receipt. Now I'm wanting to buy again either same as I have now or move up to the 7, without monthly payment if any kind. Located yesterday online iPhone 6 Plus for 299.00 but it's refurbished. I'm not real sure I want refurbished or unlocked etc...very simple..I just want best price pd in full today for a NEW phone. 😞

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

7 years ago

Yep, not easy to simply buy a new, 1-year old phone for a "good" (much less BEST) price.  Seems the only thing any sellers want to do is to obfuscate our options.  Of course, you can buy a 6 for about $549 and then simply move it over to replace an existing phone but IMHO $549 is still a ridiculous price for a phone.  I have found used iPhone 6's on eBay with cracked screen's in the $200s and ones without cracked screens for the $300s.  I guess eBay's buyers protection would prevent any stolen phones from being sold but like you, I don't really want a used phone without any type of warranty.  I have decided to wait a few weeks to see what comes up in the shopping season from the vendors trying to move new, old stock hopefully in the $300 range

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

7 years ago

Let me ask you in 2015 did you get a 2 year contract?

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@Traciegoff wrote:
Approx last feb/march of 2015 I bought the iPhone 6 Plus at Best Buy for less than 350.00.

Sorry, is this last feb/march or was it 2015

(UPDATE: Now I'm thinking that was a contract you committed to in 2015, a $770 phone!)

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

7 years ago

2 year contracts are over with. The only method to purchase is with AT&T Next.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@ndabunka wrote:

My wife still has an old iPhone 4 & would like to move to an iPhone 6 but doesn't give a flying hoot about the iPhone 7.  In fact, she would likely be fine with an iPhone 5

The iPhone SE is the current model of a phone that is the size of the iPhone 5.

I think it's got the 6s guts in the body of a 5.

Price starts at $399 for 16GB. http://www.apple.com/iphone-se/

I'd highly recommend the 64GB model for $50 more as they have discontinued all the other 16GB models for not having enough storage...  Really ask around before deciding to save $50...

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@Traciegoff wrote:

I'm not interested in paying monthly for any phone. Never have never will. Too my knowledge no special anything. I walked n Best Buy located kid working att desk n bought iPhone 6 Plus (5.5 screen) for less than 350.00. Certainly I have receipt.

You've always paid monthy for your phone, it was hidden in the price of the bill.

Since then they've created lower plan prices and seperated out the cost of the phone, the new plans share a cheaper data pool and it's generally much cheaper (about $15-$20 a line, which can cover the cost of the phone).

That "less that $350" iPhone 6s is from the times of $199 costs for $650 phones, but it's a plus (which I think started at $770) so you paid a premium for that phone ($350) and in all likelyhood commited to a 2 year contract...

• 

25.7K Messages

7 years ago

Not a single company offers anything besides buying the phone outright or next. No more contracts.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.