The new iPhone 15
calbears00's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Wednesday, October 19th, 2016 6:10 PM

With Hand Me Down iPhone, Do I Need a New Sim Card?

My son recently upgraded from an iPhone 6S to a 7. I am using his 6S as it is an upgrade from my 5. Do I need a new sim card? My two email accounts on the phone will not send emails and I get a message that one of the emails SMTP passwords is incorrect, which makes it so neither email will send. I believe the password is correct. I don't know if this is a sim card problem or something else. If I do need a new sim card is there a cost for the card or will I be charged for upgrading to the hand me down phone?

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

7 years ago

It is probably best to replace SIM cards when you change phones. SIM cards can go bad. There is no charge for a replacement SIM card if you go to a corporate store. There is no fee or cost to change phones that you already own.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

7 years ago

You also should factory reset the phone and then set up with your Apple ID and password.  

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

7 years ago

when you replaced your old iPhone with his, did you just restore your iPhone backup onto his old phone?  If that's the case, remember that Apple will not store your account passwords in their backups unless you have manually selected to encrypt the backups and use iTunes to perform the backup.  If you did not do that, then you just need to re-enter the proper passwords for your accounts and it should work.  I have moved SIM cards from one iPhone to another and they have all worked as expected for me.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.