For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The new iPhone 15
Infoe's profile

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

Monday, November 18th, 2013 6:08 AM

Wireless share data. How are some people on a wireless share data plan with their iphones?

So my question comes from having a family plan (two lines, one unlimited data and one 3gb data plans) im purchasing my first cellular ipad and was reading into the 4gb mobile data plan and would love to do that plan between the ipad and the iphone currently on the 3gb a mo. Plan but im seeing this on the pln fine details

Smartphones are not eligible for Mobile Share - Data plans.

So are they allowed or are they not? Is that why the other thread stated the iphone and ipad had to be on two seperate plans? 

(Note: not interested in tethering plan) with my corporate discount the 4gb share data plan would be almost the same as just paying for the standalone 3gb data plan

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

10 years ago

@Infoe wrote:

So my question comes from having a family plan (two lines, one unlimited data and one 3gb data plans) im purchasing my first cellular ipad and was reading into the 4gb mobile data plan and would love to do that plan between the ipad and the iphone currently on the 3gb a mo. Plan but im seeing this on the pln fine details

So are they allowed or are they not? Is that why the other thread stated the iphone and ipad had to be on two seperate plans? 

(Note: not interested in tethering plan) with my corporate discount the 4gb share data plan would be almost the same as just paying for the standalone 3gb data plan

What you are looking at is the Mobile Share for Data-Only Devices. That plan lets you share data between tablets, laptops, gaming devices, mobile hotspots, netbooks, etc but does not include voice service and therefore you can not share data with smartphones. In order to share data between a smartphone and an ipad, you must have the Mobile Share plan that includes unlimited talk and text.

Scholar

• 

162 Messages

10 years ago

That's weird. My husband and I have the Mobile Share Plan. I have an iPhone 5S and he has the Note 2. I almost had a tablet added to the plan one time but I changed my mind at the last minute. I was told it would only be $10 more to add the tablet. The tablet wasn't an iPad, so maybe that's the difference? I don't know. You should log into your account and chat with a rep. That way they will be able to review your account and answer accordingly.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

10 years ago

@Infoe wrote:

smartphone are indeed eligible for the new Mobile share plans, in fact the first line is required to be a smartphone.

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/data-plans.html#fbid=d9tMQGgvsRG

the 4GB plan would cost you

70.00 - 4GB, this would be the only item eligible for discount

80.00 - 2 smartphones

--------

150.00 before discount and all other fees

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

10 years ago

@wingrider01 wrote:

@Infoe wrote:

smartphone are indeed eligible for the new Mobile share plans, in fact the first line is required to be a smartphone.

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/data-plans.html#fbid=d9tMQGgvsRG

the 4GB plan would cost you

70.00 - 4GB, this would be the only item eligible for discount

80.00 - 2 smartphones

--------

150.00 before discount and all other fees

Now that new customers can only select mobile share, I believe the requirement to have the first line be a smartphone has been removed since there are still people out there that don't have smartphones.

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

10 years ago

Thank you sandblaster, i did not see it was for data only devices but i was looking at the plan as if it was its own standalone data plan that could be added to an existing plan like the two i currently have on my account.

Would be nice if it were like that but since i only have one standalone device now without data I assume the stand alone prepaid plan is cheaper. If there were to be more than one data device only i would see why sharing would be the way to go but i envision being the only one with a data needing device for a long time
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.