Will setting up the Personal WiFi Hotspot use my data?

Tutor

Will setting up the Personal WiFi Hotspot use my data?

I am on the 4gb data plan and have the iPhone 4S. Using AT&T hotspots are super slow and my phone is rarely able to connect to them...so if I use my phone as a personal hotspot for my laptop, will it count as data useage on my account?

Message 1 of 20

Re: Will setting up the Personal WiFi Hotspot use my data?

remylayne wrote:

I am on the 4gb data plan and have the iPhone 4S. Using AT&T hotspots are super slow and my phone is rarely able to connect to them...so if I use my phone as a personal hotspot for my laptop, will it count as data useage on my account?

Yes, the AT&T Wi-Fi Hotspot feature will count agiasnt your $45 4GB data plan, but you'll be able to achieve fast HSPA+ speeds with your iPhone and your internet-enabled device, a feature and speed regular AT&T Hotspots may not offer.

Tags (1)
Message 2 of 20
Professor

Yes, you are using the phone's cell data connection when you use it as a hotspot for other devices. As far as the data is concerned, it's the same as if you are using the data on your phone, instead of using it on a device connected to the phone.
Message 3 of 20
Tutor

Well, that news just sucks...as a kid struggling between a full time job and school, it's easier to do homework and work on research papers in a public location instead of sitting on my bed waiting for the next distraction at home...oh well. Guess I know where I'll be. lol. Thanks for the info guys.

Message 4 of 20

remylayne wrote:

Well, that news just sucks...as a kid struggling between a full time job and school, it's easier to do homework and work on research papers in a public location instead of sitting on my bed waiting for the next distraction at home...oh well. Guess I know where I'll be. lol. Thanks for the info guys.

You can use AT&T's public Wi-Fi Hotspots for free of charge.
Message 5 of 20
Master

I have got to ask you why you thought using data to feed your personal hotspot would not count as data?

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 6 of 20
Tutor

Because I honestly didn't know. Didn't realize there was an entrance exam to ask a forum question...I'll make sure I take that class next.

Message 7 of 20
Master

remylayne wrote:

Because I honestly didn't know. Didn't realize there was an entrance exam to ask a forum question...I'll make sure I take that class next.

Question was not meant to be taken the way you did.........

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 8 of 20
Tutor

my apologies, I took it the way it was written.

Message 9 of 20

Keep this in mind - any time your phone isn't on wi-fi (whether your own or someone else's), you're using data against your data allocation. It's really that simple. 

Message 10 of 20
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Find the Unlimited Plan that works best for you at our Knowledge Sharing Session: Whole Lotta' Data Going On on Wed. 6/28 from 1-4pm ET / noon-3pm CT / 10am-1pm PT!

Find out the very latest about the new iPad Pros!

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support