For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The new iPhone 15
remylayne's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Wednesday, April 11th, 2012 8:06 PM

Will setting up the Personal WiFi Hotspot use my data?

I am on the 4gb data plan and have the iPhone 4S. Using AT&T hotspots are super slow and my phone is rarely able to connect to them...so if I use my phone as a personal hotspot for my laptop, will it count as data useage on my account?

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

I agree with the person who asked the original question. All of a sudden the topic should have been left as asked and answered, but instead, someone monitoring the feed decided to throw in their smart aleck, "how can this person be so ignorant? God, I hate my job" response. First, my mother could have posted that answer. She's a highly intelligent National Merit Scholarship finalist in 1959, worked over 30 years in an ever-changing , stress filled job that demanded brain power and split second problem solution skills to the nth degree,  but I have spent countless hours, along with my sisters explaining WI-FI, SmartTelevions the DVR, and our options we must face now that we can't afford the monthly price hikes thrust on our 77 year old mother now after the Suddenlink merger. It's horrible. It's confusing.  She's a brilliant woman,but this new lingo and new group thrust upon her to decipher, decode, decide and it's TERRIBLY confusing and annoying because in rural areas such as ours close up shop, eliminate services other urban areas consider "a given." It's an expensive but nevertheless necessary quagmire to figure out, and it's confusing to people in their 20'S to their 80'S. Being sarcastic solves ZERO. It just makes me grit my teeth, feel horribly for the person you took upon yourself to shame on a public forum without truly knowing that peron's history and feel like I should say SOMETHING! Otherwise, it's like watching bullying and doing zero about it, ESPECIALLY knowing you, "the great responding moderator" is being paid, maybe less than you feel you deserve, BUT that's part of ANY job. 

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

6 years ago

@DenaCConnell

The original post and replies are from 2012.   Keeping it going 6 years is rediculous, but AT&T rarely locks threads.  

If you have a problem, it is more productive to post a new thread and ask the question.   

Based on the limited information, it seems your mom is using the internet with some cellular connection.  Maybe it’s time too stop if it’s confusing and expensive.   Smart TV’s and streaming aren’t for everyone.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

Thanks for responding. My family has been loyal to AT&T for decades. My apologies. I'm exhausted and now exasperated with the fact that we have a WONDERFUL hotspot square box that powers our entire internet, but have now been told "We quit carrying those." when I mentioned my mother going that route. We have a large phone family plan, with a Gear line(4-5 lines always),Direct TV w/4 genies in 4 rooms, and most recently an internet streaming plug in box which is FANTASTIC.
My mother is inclided on my sister's different unlimited plan. However, the internet boxes are no longer available in this service are, we were told. 
I'm frustrated,weary,just had major surgery last week, so I apologize for my response then. Blame it on medicationand and/or having to explain hot spots, data, etc. in pain is..well..difficult at best.
If you have any solutions where my Mom could get good basic cable (not999 channels w/179+ being infomercials, unlimited phone and internet data usage (She lives on her Kindle!) DVR capabilities on at least one TV) ALL for less than she's paying Suddenlink just for no DVR TV AND slow internet AND her inability to download movies from our family VUDU account, please help. 

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

6 years ago

@DenaCConnell

This is the cell phone forum, so you may be asking a TV and internet question in the wrong section of ATT forum.

I cant tell from your post if your service still is available but equipment had died, or if service is no longer being offered and you are seeking a new home solution.  In general, I’m not sure what you’re looking for.  

I suggest an internet search for internet and TV providers for your address.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.