The new iPhone 15
lostngone's profile

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

Saturday, October 25th, 2014 8:52 PM

Why is AT&T locking the iPad Air 2 sim?

Can someone explain the reason AT&T is breaking my unversal sim? If I buy an iPad Air 2 with a unversal sim why is AT&T locking the sim to their network when other carriers are not locking to theirs?

Yes, I am aware that I can replace the sim but that takes my time and will even cost me money if I want to replace it with another unversal sim.

Professor

• 

1.7K Messages

9 years ago

According to AT&T spokesman Mark Siegel, “it’s just simply the way we’ve chosen to do it.”

Mentor

• 

52 Messages

9 years ago

They somehow believe this will increase the "stickiness" of their service, to make sure that once customers sign up for AT&T they can't go elsewhere. I sincerely hope this backfires & that people avoid AT&T in droves.  Unfortunately, most consumers are unaware of the problem and will get blindly locked into a service that Apple tried to build-in flexibility for. 

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

9 years ago

@lostngone wrote:

Can someone explain the reason AT&T is breaking my unversal sim? If I buy an iPad Air 2 with a unversal sim why is AT&T locking the sim to their network when other carriers are not locking to theirs?

Yes, I am aware that I can replace the sim but that takes my time and will even cost me money if I want to replace it with another unversal sim.

If you buy an iPad 2 with the universal SIM, you can always remove the SIM from the device and go into an AT&T store and have them provide you with a new SIM when you add it to your account. They don't charge you for a new SIM, so you could go get your AT&T SIM, and keep your universal SIM for use with other carriers.  I currently have 3 SIM cards for my iPad Air (v 1) and I just switch between them depending upon which network I want to use.  There is nothing stopping you from doing that with the new iPad Air 2 as well.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

9 years ago

It is sickening to think AT&T has decided to permanently damage its customers hardware in such a way and then just come out and blatantly say, yea thats what we have decided to do and if you don't like it you can go out and get another sim.

SHAME ON YOU AT&T!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.