For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The new iPhone 15
Patrick_yant's profile

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

Wednesday, December 3rd, 2014 7:48 PM

Closed

Why does my phone think i'm in another city?

When ever I search for near by places I am directed to Chicago. Can I fix this. I have an iPhone 5s.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@NotChicago wrote:
@I am logging in under a Chicago IP address. I have even, at times had the address where I am "logging in" which has put me either at MY EX-HUSBAND's house or his work!? I have sent him screenshots for proof, I have cancelled accounts, cleared out my iPad & started it back at "new", called Apple, etc! Our teenager has even hacked me & I showed him & he says it WASN'T him! Lol. I feel like my next option is to get rid of my apple devices altogether (6 years of this) is truly enough! But if anyone can help me? I have even told the Ex (he lives in Chicago & me & our son live in MO) that this is illegal & he needs to STOP! One morning @5a.m. I got on my iPad to send an email, the email addresses I was pulling up were all from THE EX's coworkers!! Again! "It wasn't ME!" Haaa! Umm so I do know it's him but WHAT do I do!?

Change all your passwords including your iCloud password.

If it offers two factor authentication when you reset some, pick that, but make sure you follow all those instructions carefully....

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

I have this same problem. I am in Kentucky and my phone seems to think I am in Georgia. I think this has something to do with the IP address when I am using cell data instead of wifi?

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

7 years ago

i am using an iPad now, my phones are android.  All of them accurately show my exact location whether on wifi or cellular.  Something is definitely  buggy. 

Are location services on for the correct Apps?  Are you sharing location?

IMG_5563.PNG

@Gary L. How the devil do you clear cached data on an Apple?

1 Attachment

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@lizdance40 wrote:

@Gary L. How the devil do you clear cached data on an Apple? 

On my desktop I can, I can't think of ever bothering with it on my iPhone.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

7 years ago

Settings/Safari.
Scroll to see /Clear History and Website Data.
Select/Clear History and Data

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

7 years ago

Go to setting/general/handoff and turn off HANDOFF. If one person kept the iPad or iPhone/ I'm sure you get my meaning? If it's on, and your devices were once used together this could be the problem. When emailing or messaging from one device, it will send this to all devices that you've enabled/connected with your Apple ID.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

7 years ago

It is the closest MAIN cell tower to you. I am in ND and mine says Chicago which is the main AT&T Tower. That's all I've been able to figure out. Turn on maps and I can say it will register your location. Set your favorite store and websites to your location and you'll see the Chicago location go away.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

7 years ago

@Justme11   Actually, that makes sense.  

Professor

• 

3.2K Messages

7 years ago

When I am in Florida and using my phone as a hotspot, the IP address is in Georgia. I've received warnings from Google that someone is trying to access my Google accounts from Georgia and actually has my password.....well the explanation for that is it was me.

I'm not a techie, but here is my theory. Cell towers are connected to landlines (fiber) and while the cell may be a short distance away, the landline ultimately terminates at a server in Georgia, using the Georgia IP address. @GLIMMERMAN76, you are pretty up on this stuff. Does that sound reasonable or am I smoking crack?

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

7 years ago

it depends on where the ip address the phone has was registered with ICANN.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.