For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The new iPhone 15
amyferreira's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Monday, September 20th, 2010 9:36 PM

Why can't I text pictures on my iphone 4?

My husband and I both bought the new iphone 4 and neither of us are able to send pictures in a text message.  It says error and gives the option to try again, but never works.  Any suggestions as to why this may be?

Thanks.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@Tabbyd10 wrote:
I'm having the same problem with only being able to send pictures through iMessage and I called apple support about it and they said the only way to fix it is to go in and have all the software redone and it would cost $119.99 which is insane. I just got my iPhone and I'm really hoping someone has found another way to fix this.

If you are on a gophone plan the old plans do not support the iphone for data, the newer smartphone plan is what you need

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/plans/prepaidplans.html

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

Well I'm able to receive pictures completely fine and if I have 3G then I can send pictures completely fine. It's only when I don't have 3G that I can't send pictures.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@Tabbyd10 wrote:
Well I'm able to receive pictures completely fine and if I have 3G then I can send pictures completely fine. It's only when I don't have 3G that I can't send pictures.

If by not having 3G cellular data and are only on wifi is what you mean, that is the way MMS works. The MMS protocol sends the pictures over the cellular network and will not use a wifi network connection. So if you have cellualr data off for a smartphone, or in the case of a QMD device have a data block on the number it cannot sent or recieve MMS messages

Mentor

• 

30 Messages

10 years ago

>If you are sending to a non-iPhone user, then your SIM/line is probably

>not setup right for sending MMS messsages, or you may have it disabled

>in your iPhone (as suggested by someone else).  As they also said,

>MMS requires the use of cellular data, even though they don't bill for
>cellular data usage, so it is quite possible that your MMS messages

>don't work to those users for that reason.

I've seen this kind of comment before about MMS and GoPhone users.

I have 2 suggestions for AT&T (and of course don't expect a direct response), now that iPhone is mature and older versions are being sold or passed to GoPhone users:

1) Package Approach:

GoPhone already offers texting packages, so maybe also offer an SMS/MMS package.  This package allows data for MMS but not data for anything else.  No internet.  You can charge a little extra for this.  Now basic users can receive both SMS/MMS from non-iPhone users.

The main reason to offer this is NOT really to support MMS sending. It's to support receipt.  Today, an MMS can be sent to you and disappears.  You will never know someone tried to contact you.

2) Phone Software Approach:

If #1 is not technically feasible, then consider what Windows Phone does to handle this.  If a GoPhone user has no data plan or has data disabled on a Lumia 520 (and probably all Lumia), they will still receive the text portion of the MMS.  Attached to it is a note advising the user to turn on data to get the picture attachment or audio attachment.  Maybe iPhone should behave the same way.

I realize AT&T wants to sell data, but this way they can push out old phones and refurbished phones to GoPhone.  They might even be a "gateway" phone where you get a GoPhone customer to learn iPhone and wants more.  Now you've converted a GoPhone customer to a profitable data customer or contract customer.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

10 years ago

@rrgg wrote:

>If you are sending to a non-iPhone user, then your SIM/line is probably

>not setup right for sending MMS messsages, or you may have it disabled

>in your iPhone (as suggested by someone else).  As they also said,

>MMS requires the use of cellular data, even though they don't bill for
>cellular data usage, so it is quite possible that your MMS messages

>don't work to those users for that reason.

I've seen this kind of comment before about MMS and GoPhone users.

I have 2 suggestions for AT&T (and of course don't expect a direct response), now that iPhone is mature and older versions are being sold or passed to GoPhone users:

1) Package Approach:

GoPhone already offers texting packages, so maybe also offer an SMS/MMS package.  This package allows data for MMS but not data for anything else.  No internet.  You can charge a little extra for this.  Now basic users can receive both SMS/MMS from non-iPhone users.

The main reason to offer this is NOT really to support MMS sending. It's to support receipt.  Today, an MMS can be sent to you and disappears.  You will never know someone tried to contact you.

2) Phone Software Approach:

If #1 is not technically feasible, then consider what Windows Phone does to handle this.  If a GoPhone user has no data plan or has data disabled on a Lumia 520 (and probably all Lumia), they will still receive the text portion of the MMS.  Attached to it is a note advising the user to turn on data to get the picture attachment or audio attachment.  Maybe iPhone should behave the same way.

I realize AT&T wants to sell data, but this way they can push out old phones and refurbished phones to GoPhone.  They might even be a "gateway" phone where you get a GoPhone customer to learn iPhone and wants more.  Now you've converted a GoPhone customer to a profitable data customer or contract customer.

1) All ready in place, texting package includes a data portion for send and recieve sms/mms already, but cellular data needs to be on, but if a data block in applied to the phone or cellular data is turned off no mms message will come through

2. Not possible, the RFP for the MMS protocol is written to require cellular data, sms protocol is piggy backed off the voice channel which cannot handle multimedia packets

If cellular data is turned off neither a basic phone nor a smartphone can send or recieve MMS, this is how the technology oof the protocols was designed, it does not have anything to do with features or packages being offered

Teacher

• 

29 Messages

9 years ago

Everyone does not have or want a smart phone. Some of us just want a small flip phone that will slip into our pocket. I have tablets, laptops and desktop computers. I don't want a phone with all that on it. Why does everyone keep trying to shove that down my throat?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.