Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Sep 20, 2010
2:36:12 PM
View profile
Why can't I text pictures on my iphone 4?

My husband and I both bought the new iphone 4 and neither of us are able to send pictures in a text message.  It says error and gives the option to try again, but never works.  Any suggestions as to why this may be?

Thanks.

My husband and I both bought the new iphone 4 and neither of us are able to send pictures in a text message.  It says error and gives the option to try again, but never works.  Any suggestions as to why this may be?

Thanks.

Accepted Solution

Why can't I text pictures on my iphone 4?

16 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(16)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 20, 2010 3:36:38 PM
(0)
Professor

Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings.

If that doesn't work, contact customer support to ensure your account is provisioned correctly.

Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings.

If that doesn't work, contact customer support to ensure your account is provisioned correctly.

Re: Why can't I text pictures on my iphone 4?

2 of 17 (231,193 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 20, 2010 7:25:07 PM
(0)
Professor

Did you port your numbers from Verizon?

Did you port your numbers from Verizon?

3 of 17 (231,143 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 21, 2010 6:38:12 AM
(0)
Teacher

If the resetting your settings doesn't work.  Connect it to your computer and back up your Iphone.  Then restore your phone to factory settings the apply your backup.  That is what worked for me.

If the resetting your settings doesn't work.  Connect it to your computer and back up your Iphone.  Then restore your phone to factory settings the apply your backup.  That is what worked for me.

4 of 17 (231,076 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 20, 2013 11:53:21 PM
(0)
Contributor
I have a iPhone 4 and I use it as a pay as you go phone w AT&T . The problem is sending pics in text messaging , it's lets me send to certain people and not to others . Would it help if I unlocked the phone or has anyone got any advice , thanks
I have a iPhone 4 and I use it as a pay as you go phone w AT&T . The problem is sending pics in text messaging , it's lets me send to certain people and not to others . Would it help if I unlocked the phone or has anyone got any advice , thanks

5 of 17 (206,237 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 5, 2013 5:10:53 PM
(0)
Tutor

Go to Settings/Messages and verify that MMS messaging is turned on.  Then make sure your cellular data is turned on also. 

Go to Settings/Messages and verify that MMS messaging is turned on.  Then make sure your cellular data is turned on also. 

6 of 17 (201,307 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 5, 2013 6:36:05 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

David32 wrote:

Well, to start with, iPhones on pay-as-you-go plans are not supported, so that may just be a part of the reason, because they don't always work right.  More than likely though, it has to do with the line provisioning, and who you are sending the messages to.  If you are sending to another iPhone user and yo uboth have iMessage enabled, then you would be using that service, and it probably works.  If you are sending to a non-iPhone user, then your SIM/line is probably not setup right for sending MMS messsages, or you may have it disabled in your iPhone (as suggested by someone else).  As they also said, MMS requires the use of cellular data, even though they don't bill for cellular data usage, so it is quite possible that your MMS messages don't work to those users for that reason.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.

David32 wrote:

Well, to start with, iPhones on pay-as-you-go plans are not supported, so that may just be a part of the reason, because they don't always work right.  More than likely though, it has to do with the line provisioning, and who you are sending the messages to.  If you are sending to another iPhone user and yo uboth have iMessage enabled, then you would be using that service, and it probably works.  If you are sending to a non-iPhone user, then your SIM/line is probably not setup right for sending MMS messsages, or you may have it disabled in your iPhone (as suggested by someone else).  As they also said, MMS requires the use of cellular data, even though they don't bill for cellular data usage, so it is quite possible that your MMS messages don't work to those users for that reason.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

7 of 17 (201,290 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 7, 2013 10:14:44 AM
(0)
Former Employee

GeekBoy wrote:

David32 wrote:

Since the iPhone is not supported on pay as you go, the most likely reason is cellular data is not working. Even though an MMS message does not get billed as data, it still needs a working data connection. 

GeekBoy wrote:

David32 wrote:

Since the iPhone is not supported on pay as you go, the most likely reason is cellular data is not working. Even though an MMS message does not get billed as data, it still needs a working data connection. 

8 of 17 (201,083 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 8, 2013 5:13:45 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

David32 wrote:

I have the same phone, same service, same problem, going on 7 months. Very frustrating. Pictures only work via iMessage. Thank God more people I talk to on a regular basis have jumped on the iPhone bandwagon.

The update to iOS 6 is what messed it up. It worked flawlessly on 5.1.1. 

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

David32 wrote:

I have the same phone, same service, same problem, going on 7 months. Very frustrating. Pictures only work via iMessage. Thank God more people I talk to on a regular basis have jumped on the iPhone bandwagon.

The update to iOS 6 is what messed it up. It worked flawlessly on 5.1.1. 

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

9 of 17 (200,903 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 9, 2013 12:07:59 PM
(0)
Contributor
I'm having the same problem with only being able to send pictures through iMessage and I called apple support about it and they said the only way to fix it is to go in and have all the software redone and it would cost $119.99 which is insane. I just got my iPhone and I'm really hoping someone has found another way to fix this.
I'm having the same problem with only being able to send pictures through iMessage and I called apple support about it and they said the only way to fix it is to go in and have all the software redone and it would cost $119.99 which is insane. I just got my iPhone and I'm really hoping someone has found another way to fix this.

10 of 17 (192,050 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 9, 2013 3:03:31 PM
(0)
Expert

Tabbyd10 wrote:

If you are on a gophone plan the old plans do not support the iphone for data, the newer smartphone plan is what you need

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/plans/prepaidplans.html

Tabbyd10 wrote:

If you are on a gophone plan the old plans do not support the iphone for data, the newer smartphone plan is what you need

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/plans/prepaidplans.html

11 of 17 (191,992 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 13, 2013 4:54:46 PM
(0)
Contributor
Well I'm able to receive pictures completely fine and if I have 3G then I can send pictures completely fine. It's only when I don't have 3G that I can't send pictures.
Well I'm able to receive pictures completely fine and if I have 3G then I can send pictures completely fine. It's only when I don't have 3G that I can't send pictures.

12 of 17 (190,707 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 13, 2013 6:01:15 PM
(0)
Expert

Tabbyd10 wrote:

If by not having 3G cellular data and are only on wifi is what you mean, that is the way MMS works. The MMS protocol sends the pictures over the cellular network and will not use a wifi network connection. So if you have cellualr data off for a smartphone, or in the case of a QMD device have a data block on the number it cannot sent or recieve MMS messages

Tabbyd10 wrote:

If by not having 3G cellular data and are only on wifi is what you mean, that is the way MMS works. The MMS protocol sends the pictures over the cellular network and will not use a wifi network connection. So if you have cellualr data off for a smartphone, or in the case of a QMD device have a data block on the number it cannot sent or recieve MMS messages

13 of 17 (190,676 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Jun 24, 2013 10:38:02 AM
(0)
Community Support
Edited by beckyww on Oct 30, 2013 at 1:24:38 PM

Please visit Picture/Video Messaging for information on MMS, as well as network requirements. There's some great information in this article. I also recommend visiting Device How To Center for instructions specific to your device. 

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

Please visit Picture/Video Messaging for information on MMS, as well as network requirements. There's some great information in this article. I also recommend visiting Device How To Center for instructions specific to your device. 

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

[ Edited ]
14 of 17 (187,686 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 18, 2013 1:08:30 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by rrgg on Dec 18, 2013 at 1:17:09 PM

>If you are sending to a non-iPhone user, then your SIM/line is probably

>not setup right for sending MMS messsages, or you may have it disabled

>in your iPhone (as suggested by someone else).  As they also said,

>MMS requires the use of cellular data, even though they don't bill for
>cellular data usage, so it is quite possible that your MMS messages

>don't work to those users for that reason.

I've seen this kind of comment before about MMS and GoPhone users.

I have 2 suggestions for AT&T (and of course don't expect a direct response), now that iPhone is mature and older versions are being sold or passed to GoPhone users:

1) Package Approach:

GoPhone already offers texting packages, so maybe also offer an SMS/MMS package.  This package allows data for MMS but not data for anything else.  No internet.  You can charge a little extra for this.  Now basic users can receive both SMS/MMS from non-iPhone users.

The main reason to offer this is NOT really to support MMS sending. It's to support receipt.  Today, an MMS can be sent to you and disappears.  You will never know someone tried to contact you.

2) Phone Software Approach:

If #1 is not technically feasible, then consider what Windows Phone does to handle this.  If a GoPhone user has no data plan or has data disabled on a Lumia 520 (and probably all Lumia), they will still receive the text portion of the MMS.  Attached to it is a note advising the user to turn on data to get the picture attachment or audio attachment.  Maybe iPhone should behave the same way.

I realize AT&T wants to sell data, but this way they can push out old phones and refurbished phones to GoPhone.  They might even be a "gateway" phone where you get a GoPhone customer to learn iPhone and wants more.  Now you've converted a GoPhone customer to a profitable data customer or contract customer.

I have 2 suggestions for AT&T (and of course don't expect a direct response), now that iPhone is mature and older versions are being sold or passed to GoPhone users:

1) Package Approach:

GoPhone already offers texting packages, so maybe also offer an SMS/MMS package.  This package allows data for MMS but not data for anything else.  No internet.  You can charge a little extra for this.  Now basic users can receive both SMS/MMS from non-iPhone users.

The main reason to offer this is NOT really to support MMS sending. It's to support receipt.  Today, an MMS can be sent to you and disappears.  You will never know someone tried to contact you.

If #1 is not technically feasible, then consider what Windows Phone does to handle this.  If a GoPhone user has no data plan or has data disabled on a Lumia 520 (and probably all Lumia), they will still receive the text portion of the MMS.  Attached to it is a note advising the user to turn on data to get the picture attachment or audio attachment.  Maybe iPhone should behave the same way.

I realize AT&T wants to sell data, but this way they can push out old phones and refurbished phones to GoPhone.  They might even be a "gateway" phone where you get a GoPhone customer to learn iPhone and wants more.  Now you've converted a GoPhone customer to a profitable data customer or contract customer.

[ Edited ]
15 of 17 (106,452 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 18, 2013 2:31:31 PM
(0)
Expert
Edited by wingrider01 on Dec 18, 2013 at 2:32:46 PM

rrgg wrote:

1) Package Approach:

1) All ready in place, texting package includes a data portion for send and recieve sms/mms already, but cellular data needs to be on, but if a data block in applied to the phone or cellular data is turned off no mms message will come through

2. Not possible, the RFP for the MMS protocol is written to require cellular data, sms protocol is piggy backed off the voice channel which cannot handle multimedia packets

If cellular data is turned off neither a basic phone nor a smartphone can send or recieve MMS, this is how the technology oof the protocols was designed, it does not have anything to do with features or packages being offered

rrgg wrote:

1) Package Approach:

1) All ready in place, texting package includes a data portion for send and recieve sms/mms already, but cellular data needs to be on, but if a data block in applied to the phone or cellular data is turned off no mms message will come through

2. Not possible, the RFP for the MMS protocol is written to require cellular data, sms protocol is piggy backed off the voice channel which cannot handle multimedia packets

If cellular data is turned off neither a basic phone nor a smartphone can send or recieve MMS, this is how the technology oof the protocols was designed, it does not have anything to do with features or packages being offered

[ Edited ]
16 of 17 (106,401 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2015 8:43:07 AM
(0)
Teacher

Everyone does not have or want a smart phone. Some of us just want a small flip phone that will slip into our pocket. I have tablets, laptops and desktop computers. I don't want a phone with all that on it. Why does everyone keep trying to shove that down my throat?

Everyone does not have or want a smart phone. Some of us just want a small flip phone that will slip into our pocket. I have tablets, laptops and desktop computers. I don't want a phone with all that on it. Why does everyone keep trying to shove that down my throat?

17 of 17 (16,182 Views)