Why can't I text pictures on my iphone 4?

Contributor

Why can't I text pictures on my iphone 4?

My husband and I both bought the new iphone 4 and neither of us are able to send pictures in a text message.  It says error and gives the option to try again, but never works.  Any suggestions as to why this may be?

Thanks.

233,572 Views
Message 1 of 17
Professor

Re: Why can't I text pictures on my iphone 4?

Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings.

 

If that doesn't work, contact customer support to ensure your account is provisioned correctly.

Message 2 of 17
Professor

Re: Why can't I text pictures on my iphone 4?

Did you port your numbers from Verizon?

Message 3 of 17
Teacher

Re: Why can't I text pictures on my iphone 4?

If the resetting your settings doesn't work.  Connect it to your computer and back up your Iphone.  Then restore your phone to factory settings the apply your backup.  That is what worked for me.

Message 4 of 17
Contributor

Re: Why can't I text pictures on my iphone 4?

I have a iPhone 4 and I use it as a pay as you go phone w AT&T . The problem is sending pics in text messaging , it's lets me send to certain people and not to others . Would it help if I unlocked the phone or has anyone got any advice , thanks
Message 5 of 17
Tutor

Re: Why can't I text pictures on my iphone 4?

Go to Settings/Messages and verify that MMS messaging is turned on.  Then make sure your cellular data is turned on also. 

Message 6 of 17
ACE - Master

Re: Why can't I text pictures on my iphone 4?


David32 wrote:
I have a iPhone 4 and I use it as a pay as you go phone w AT&T . The problem is sending pics in text messaging , it's lets me send to certain people and not to others . Would it help if I unlocked the phone or has anyone got any advice , thanks

Well, to start with, iPhones on pay-as-you-go plans are not supported, so that may just be a part of the reason, because they don't always work right.  More than likely though, it has to do with the line provisioning, and who you are sending the messages to.  If you are sending to another iPhone user and yo uboth have iMessage enabled, then you would be using that service, and it probably works.  If you are sending to a non-iPhone user, then your SIM/line is probably not setup right for sending MMS messsages, or you may have it disabled in your iPhone (as suggested by someone else).  As they also said, MMS requires the use of cellular data, even though they don't bill for cellular data usage, so it is quite possible that your MMS messages don't work to those users for that reason.


Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 7 of 17
ACE - Expert

Re: Why can't I text pictures on my iphone 4?


GeekBoy wrote:

David32 wrote:
I have a iPhone 4 and I use it as a pay as you go phone w AT&T . The problem is sending pics in text messaging , it's lets me send to certain people and not to others . Would it help if I unlocked the phone or has anyone got any advice , thanks

Well, to start with, iPhones on pay-as-you-go plans are not supported, so that may just be a part of the reason, because they don't always work right.  More than likely though, it has to do with the line provisioning, and who you are sending the messages to.  If you are sending to another iPhone user and yo uboth have iMessage enabled, then you would be using that service, and it probably works.  If you are sending to a non-iPhone user, then your SIM/line is probably not setup right for sending MMS messsages, or you may have it disabled in your iPhone (as suggested by someone else).  As they also said, MMS requires the use of cellular data, even though they don't bill for cellular data usage, so it is quite possible that your MMS messages don't work to those users for that reason.


Since the iPhone is not supported on pay as you go, the most likely reason is cellular data is not working. Even though an MMS message does not get billed as data, it still needs a working data connection. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 8 of 17
Highlighted
Master

Re: Why can't I text pictures on my iphone 4?


David32 wrote:
I have a iPhone 4 and I use it as a pay as you go phone w AT&T . The problem is sending pics in text messaging , it's lets me send to certain people and not to others . Would it help if I unlocked the phone or has anyone got any advice , thanks

I have the same phone, same service, same problem, going on 7 months. Very frustrating. Pictures only work via iMessage. Thank God more people I talk to on a regular basis have jumped on the iPhone bandwagon.

 

The update to iOS 6 is what messed it up. It worked flawlessly on 5.1.1. 

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy



Message 9 of 17
Contributor

Re: Why can't I text pictures on my iphone 4?

I'm having the same problem with only being able to send pictures through iMessage and I called apple support about it and they said the only way to fix it is to go in and have all the software redone and it would cost $119.99 which is insane. I just got my iPhone and I'm really hoping someone has found another way to fix this.
Message 10 of 17
Expert

Re: Why can't I text pictures on my iphone 4?


Tabbyd10 wrote:
I'm having the same problem with only being able to send pictures through iMessage and I called apple support about it and they said the only way to fix it is to go in and have all the software redone and it would cost $119.99 which is insane. I just got my iPhone and I'm really hoping someone has found another way to fix this.

If you are on a gophone plan the old plans do not support the iphone for data, the newer smartphone plan is what you need

 

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/plans/prepaidplans.html

Message 11 of 17
Contributor

Re: Why can't I text pictures on my iphone 4?

Well I'm able to receive pictures completely fine and if I have 3G then I can send pictures completely fine. It's only when I don't have 3G that I can't send pictures.
Message 12 of 17
Expert

Re: Why can't I text pictures on my iphone 4?


Tabbyd10 wrote:
Well I'm able to receive pictures completely fine and if I have 3G then I can send pictures completely fine. It's only when I don't have 3G that I can't send pictures.

If by not having 3G cellular data and are only on wifi is what you mean, that is the way MMS works. The MMS protocol sends the pictures over the cellular network and will not use a wifi network connection. So if you have cellualr data off for a smartphone, or in the case of a QMD device have a data block on the number it cannot sent or recieve MMS messages

Message 13 of 17
Community Support

Re: Why can't I text pictures on my iphone 4?

Please visit Picture/Video Messaging for information on MMS, as well as network requirements. There's some great information in this article. I also recommend visiting Device How To Center for instructions specific to your device. 

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Tags (1)
Message 14 of 17
Teacher

Re: Why can't I text pictures on my iphone 4?

>If you are sending to a non-iPhone user, then your SIM/line is probably

>not setup right for sending MMS messsages, or you may have it disabled

>in your iPhone (as suggested by someone else).  As they also said,

>MMS requires the use of cellular data, even though they don't bill for
>cellular data usage, so it is quite possible that your MMS messages

>don't work to those users for that reason.

 

I've seen this kind of comment before about MMS and GoPhone users.

 


I have 2 suggestions for AT&T (and of course don't expect a direct response), now that iPhone is mature and older versions are being sold or passed to GoPhone users:

 

1) Package Approach:

 

GoPhone already offers texting packages, so maybe also offer an SMS/MMS package.  This package allows data for MMS but not data for anything else.  No internet.  You can charge a little extra for this.  Now basic users can receive both SMS/MMS from non-iPhone users.

 

The main reason to offer this is NOT really to support MMS sending. It's to support receipt.  Today, an MMS can be sent to you and disappears.  You will never know someone tried to contact you.

 

2) Phone Software Approach:

 

If #1 is not technically feasible, then consider what Windows Phone does to handle this.  If a GoPhone user has no data plan or has data disabled on a Lumia 520 (and probably all Lumia), they will still receive the text portion of the MMS.  Attached to it is a note advising the user to turn on data to get the picture attachment or audio attachment.  Maybe iPhone should behave the same way.

 

I realize AT&T wants to sell data, but this way they can push out old phones and refurbished phones to GoPhone.  They might even be a "gateway" phone where you get a GoPhone customer to learn iPhone and wants more.  Now you've converted a GoPhone customer to a profitable data customer or contract customer.

 

Message 15 of 17
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support