The new iPhone 15
amyferreira's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Monday, September 20th, 2010 9:36 PM

Why can't I text pictures on my iphone 4?

My husband and I both bought the new iphone 4 and neither of us are able to send pictures in a text message.  It says error and gives the option to try again, but never works.  Any suggestions as to why this may be?

Thanks.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Former Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

11 years ago

Please visit Picture/Video Messaging for information on MMS, as well as network requirements. There's some great information in this article. I also recommend visiting Device How To Center for instructions specific to your device. 

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

14 years ago

Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings.

If that doesn't work, contact customer support to ensure your account is provisioned correctly.

Professor

• 

1.2K Messages

14 years ago

Did you port your numbers from Verizon?

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

14 years ago

If the resetting your settings doesn't work.  Connect it to your computer and back up your Iphone.  Then restore your phone to factory settings the apply your backup.  That is what worked for me.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I have a iPhone 4 and I use it as a pay as you go phone w AT&T . The problem is sending pics in text messaging , it's lets me send to certain people and not to others . Would it help if I unlocked the phone or has anyone got any advice , thanks

Tutor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

Go to Settings/Messages and verify that MMS messaging is turned on.  Then make sure your cellular data is turned on also. 

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

11 years ago

@David32 wrote:
I have a iPhone 4 and I use it as a pay as you go phone w AT&T . The problem is sending pics in text messaging , it's lets me send to certain people and not to others . Would it help if I unlocked the phone or has anyone got any advice , thanks

Well, to start with, iPhones on pay-as-you-go plans are not supported, so that may just be a part of the reason, because they don't always work right.  More than likely though, it has to do with the line provisioning, and who you are sending the messages to.  If you are sending to another iPhone user and yo uboth have iMessage enabled, then you would be using that service, and it probably works.  If you are sending to a non-iPhone user, then your SIM/line is probably not setup right for sending MMS messsages, or you may have it disabled in your iPhone (as suggested by someone else).  As they also said, MMS requires the use of cellular data, even though they don't bill for cellular data usage, so it is quite possible that your MMS messages don't work to those users for that reason.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

11 years ago

@GeekBoy wrote:

@David32 wrote:

Well, to start with, iPhones on pay-as-you-go plans are not supported, so that may just be a part of the reason, because they don't always work right.  More than likely though, it has to do with the line provisioning, and who you are sending the messages to.  If you are sending to another iPhone user and yo uboth have iMessage enabled, then you would be using that service, and it probably works.  If you are sending to a non-iPhone user, then your SIM/line is probably not setup right for sending MMS messsages, or you may have it disabled in your iPhone (as suggested by someone else).  As they also said, MMS requires the use of cellular data, even though they don't bill for cellular data usage, so it is quite possible that your MMS messages don't work to those users for that reason.

Since the iPhone is not supported on pay as you go, the most likely reason is cellular data is not working. Even though an MMS message does not get billed as data, it still needs a working data connection. 

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

11 years ago

@David32 wrote:

I have the same phone, same service, same problem, going on 7 months. Very frustrating. Pictures only work via iMessage. Thank God more people I talk to on a regular basis have jumped on the iPhone bandwagon.

The update to iOS 6 is what messed it up. It worked flawlessly on 5.1.1. 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

I'm having the same problem with only being able to send pictures through iMessage and I called apple support about it and they said the only way to fix it is to go in and have all the software redone and it would cost $119.99 which is insane. I just got my iPhone and I'm really hoping someone has found another way to fix this.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.