The new iPhone 15
gundamze's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Thursday, October 17th, 2013 11:09 PM

Why I will lose my phone number, if I return my phone?

I bought a 2-year contract iphone 5s last Tuesday. I haven't opened the box and haven't activated my new sim card yet. I wanted to return it, but the employee in the retail store didn't recieve it and said I would lose my phone number if I return my phone. I was afraid of losing my number, so I returned home at home.

However I felt that it was unreasonable and wierd. I mean I read the return policy which doesn't mention that. It says I can return it with 14 days for free if the box is not opened.

Would anyone explain this for me?

Ps: I join in the family plan and I'm not the holder of this plan. Should the holder accompany with me if I want to return my phone to the store?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

10 years ago

@gundamze wrote:

I bought a 2-year contract iphone 5s last Tuesday. I haven't opened the box and haven't activated my new sim card yet. I wanted to return it, but the employee in the retail store didn't recieve it and said I would lose my phone number if I return my phone. I was afraid of losing my number, so I returned home at home.

However I felt that it was unreasonable and wierd. I mean I read the return policy which doesn't mention that. It says I can return it with 14 days for free if the box is not opened.

Would anyone explain this for me?

Ps: I join in the family plan and I'm not the holder of this plan. Should the holder accompany with me if I want to return my phone to the store?

First off, since you are not the account holder, they would need to be present in order to make any billing changes to the account.

Now for the first question.  You are a little unclear about what you are trying to do here.  If you just added a line to an existing contract, you can cancel the line and lose the number within the first 14 days.  That is probably what the store clerk assumed you wanted to do.  You do have other options though.  You can return the iPhone, and keep the contract/line and get a different phone for your line, thus keeping your number.  Depending upon the account status, there may be yet one more option for you.  You may be able to return the new unopened iPhone, cancel teh contract, and provide your own phone to keep the line in a month-to-month post-paid status (as if the contract had been met on a regular phone purchase).

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

Thank you so much!!!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.