For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The new iPhone 15
maod01's profile

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

Saturday, February 25th, 2017 5:37 PM

Why I cannot unlock my iPhone7?

I went to AT&T store last month and got an IPhone7. I told the staff that I want a free carrier one, so he gave me one, helped me activated it with an at&t SIM card, I paid $749(before teax), the full price,to it. But yesterday, when I put my another SIM card which from another carrier in it, my new iPhone showed: The SIM card that you currently have installed in this iPhone is from a carrier that is not supported under the activation policy that is currently assigned by the activation server. This is not a hardware issue with the iPhone. . .

So I went to Apple Store first, they told me this phone was AT&T locked, I should go to AT&T store. So I went to AT&T store then, the staff told me they can do nothing for me, I can only apply to unlock it online by myself. So I went back home, send unlock appilication to AT&T, they denied me, and the website says "We can't unlock this device because it hasn't been active for at least six months of paid service.. ".Then I reset my phone, and send the application again. Denied again.

Then I called the customer service, the guy just read the same thing on the website to me. I called again, the lady did the same thing. Nothing helped. And I send the application one last time this time, it was still denied. 

I am so upset why I paid the full price to my new phone but still need to use AT&t for another 6 months.I am about to go back to my home country in a couple weeks, AT&T does not provide any service there. I have used AT&T for almost 3 years, I had great user experience duirng these years, but this thing really brings me down.

I really hope someone could me help me solve the problem.

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

7 years ago

More imformation.

I am under the Prepaid service

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@maod01 Once you put a SIM in a GoPhone it locks it to GoPhone for 6 months.

Since you paid full price, I believe you qualify for an exception. Send a message to @ATTMobilityCare and explain it.

Send them account number, receipts number from the purchase, (name/address/phone) anything they might ask you, make sure it's in the e-mail so they can solve it and not spend time asking you follow up questions. 

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

7 years ago

Thank you so much! I just found my receipt from my trash bin and send the message to them.

I reaaaaaaaaally appreciate your help!

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@maod01 wrote:

Thank you so much! I just found my receipt from my trash bin and send the message to them.

I reaaaaaaaaally appreciate your help!

PLEASE come back and let us know how it works out.

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

7 years ago

Will Do!

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

7 years ago

Another thing is that AT&T does not sell carrier free phones, they only sell AT&T phones. Even paying full price for the phone up front does not make it a carrier free phone, it will still need to be unlocked.

Only Apple sells truly carrier free iPhones.

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

7 years ago

Thanks for your information! I didn't know it until now.

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

7 years ago

Well, here's the update.

I gave all my information to them, and they still told me that I have to keep my account active for 6 months then I can unlock my device. 

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@maod01 wrote:

Well, here's the update.

I gave all my information to them, and they still told me that I have to keep my account active for 6 months then I can unlock my device. 

Who is them and they? How did you give your info to them?

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

7 years ago

I send private message to  @ATTMobilityCare, and after several conversations, they told me "We have researched the device, and, I apologize, it does appear that you will need to have it active for six months on your account before we will be able to unlock it. You do have the option to pay to keep your account active, even by going to a lower price plan, for that six month period, and once that time has been completed, we will gladly unlock your device for you. "

And  @ATTMobilityCare did not mentioned anything about the GoPhone service may trigger a 6 months period. I just send a message to ask for a reasonable explanation.

I don't expect AT&T can solve my problem anymore, I'll just go get a cheap phone when I go back to my home country and unlock my iPhone after 6 months. But I will also recommend my other international friends not to buy phones from AT&T.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.