For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The new iPhone 15
Smurfette27's profile

Master

• 

4.2K Messages

Friday, January 14th, 2011 12:23 AM

Why Doesn't CDMA support internet usage while on phone calls?

Verizon Iphone's wont be able to surf the web and be on a phone call at the same time. But, why is this so? Why does'nt the technology support it?

Guru

• 

1K Messages

13 years ago

Its a limitation of CDMA technology. Theres a update called VORA (Voice Over Revision A) that adds the Voice and Data at the same time. But Verizon is not currently deploying it and the hardware in the new iPhone does not support it.

Master

• 

7.4K Messages

13 years ago

It just doesn't.  It's not in the specifications for the technology.  Just like it was with GSM before 3G came along.  You couldn't do voice and cellular data at the same time on Edge.

Eventually Verizon will also offer simultanious voice and data. There will be Voice over LTE (VoLTE) and they have talked about a stopgap by tring to introduce Voice over Revision A (VoRA).

EDIT: guess Neihn beat me to it.

Professor

• 

3.1K Messages

13 years ago

EVDO means Evolution-Data Optimized or Evolution-Data only

Data Only is more accurate.

Master

• 

4.2K Messages

13 years ago

@Planet-Ed wrote:

It just doesn't.  It's not in the specifications for the technology.  Just like it was with GSM before 3G came along.  You couldn't do voice and cellular data at the same time on Edge.

Eventually Verizon will also offer simultanious voice and data. There will be Voice over LTE (VoLTE) and they have talked about a stopgap by tring to introduce Voice over Revision A (VoRA).

EDIT: guess @Neihn beat me to it.

Well, it's good to know it's on it's way.. So the LTE is the upcoming verizon technology.. But, they won't have the VO for quite awhile after LTE?

Professor

• 

1.6K Messages

13 years ago

What I still don't get is: why would Apple even bother make a phone that's already outdated in my opinion? Well they kinda did that with the original iPhone, when 3G was already out - but still, they were new to the game.

Now they know how the game works, but they still released a outdated phone. Maybe is a money deal or something.

Master

• 

7.1K Messages

13 years ago

@UNSC_REACH wrote:

What I still don't get is: why would Apple even bother make a phone that's already outdated in my opinion? Well they kinda did that with the original iPhone, when 3G was already out - but still, they were new to the game.

Now they know how the game works, but they still released a outdated phone. Maybe is a money deal or something.

Apple is not going to lead with an LTE phone for Verizon mid way through their product year.  It would create too many issues for ATT and other carriers around the world.  They are also going to let others work out the network kinks then jump on board.  As for the timing, ATT no longer has the exclusive deal and Verizon has a pool of customers that Apple wants.  I would expect a new model this summer that would be either an iPhone that supports CDMA/3G/LTE, or two different iphones; one for each carrier.  I would lean towards the former with the big unknown being about support for LTE?  LTE will be the same for both ATT and Verizon once ATT rolls out their network.  Qualcom does make a chip that supports both CDMA/GSM/3G and possibly LTE?  Rumors are that the Apple has or is working on a deal with them.

Scholar

• 

176 Messages

13 years ago

@UNSC_REACH wrote:

If Verizon is willing to buy it, why should Apple modify the iPhone for a technology that isn't fully implemented yet. Apple was very wise. People will flock to Verizon for the iPhone now, and chomp at the bit to upgrade to LTE, which Apple will support in the iPhone 5 (also 4G for AT&T.) No one ever called Steve Jobs a fool.

Master

• 

4K Messages

13 years ago

Why did Apple release a 2G-only phone in 2007, when 3G phones had been out for the better part of a year on AT&T?  The 3G chipsets at the time were battery hogs, and Apple couldn't make a 3G iPhone that satisfied their executive team as having the "Apple experience".  It's likely a similar argument with the 4G chipset, not to mention the extremely limited availability of LTE at this point.

@UNSC_REACH wrote:

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

13 years ago

@smalcom wrote:

@UNSC_REACH wrote:

If Verizon is willing to buy it, why should Apple modify the iPhone for a technology that isn't fully implemented yet. Apple was very wise. People will flock to Verizon for the iPhone now, and chomp at the bit to upgrade to LTE, which Apple will support in the iPhone 5 (also 4G for AT&T.) No one ever called Steve Jobs a fool.

Don;t really thing you are going to see people flock to verizon for the iphone - it is to limited on their cdma network. Most the current data access apps have been written with the capability of voice/data at the same time, these apps will not work correctly on the verizon network, which will not make developers happy.

Master

• 

7.4K Messages

13 years ago

@wingrider01 wrote:
these apps will not work correctly on the verizon network, which will not make developers happy.

Which apps are those?  None of the apps I have that I can think of off the top of my head require them to work while in your in a call.  They all work fine when I'm only using data and the app.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.