For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The new iPhone 15
1liz1's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Monday, August 27th, 2012 6:49 PM

Want an iphone to use on At&t without data plan

I am currently with At&t & not under contract and would like to purchase an iphone from ebay and use it on my At&t network without paying for a data plan. What should the iphone listing say to make sure it's compatible and how do I make sure I'm not paying for a data plan? I want to use the phone purely to text and call and do not care for other features such as internet. Thanks

Former Employee

• 

636 Messages

10 years ago

Hey little birdy

Feel free to confirm it here.

Here is the website list of plans, based on basic phone/smartphone

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/plans/prepaidplans.html

You still must pick a 'smartphone' plan, but it's clear data is optional.

The $25 & $50 option do not include data by default.

-Alex

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

This reply was unnecessarily sarcastic and abusive - OP was not "being cheap", they simply don't want to pay for a service they have no need for.  Sounds reasonable to me!

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

Sarcasm is not called for. I, too, purchased an iphone not realizing data is required. I do not need or want data - just a quality phone to use AS A PHONE!! It is called a P*H*O*N*E!!! D-uh!

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

@dduttonnc wrote:

@YoungKeyno wrote:
All of the people that are posting doesn't know anything. I have AT&T and I am using an iPhone 4 with no data plan. The secret to doing this is by cutting your sim card on your current phone to fit your iPhone. Use a razor and a nail filer. Whatever plan you can use on your other phone will work for the iPhone. I had calling and unlimited text messaging so that carried over for me. I don't need all the other crap and just use wifi. So simple. Good luck. Disregard EVERYTHING ELSE on this post.

Youngkenyo:

BAD ADVICE as your phone carrier may constitute that as FRAUD and terminate your acct. I've seen friends do this and att, sprint, etc TERMINATED THEM. Don't screw with your SIM cards.  It was one thing wwhe u needed to trim a Sim to fit a micro sim slot when those devices first came out... But cutting a SIM to defraud your mobile carrier to get a plan that you shouldn't be able to get/keep???

BAD ADVICE. Ppl here know what they are talking about. They just didn't offer an immoral solution. 

<---- ex att employee, ex sprint employee.  I'm a computer engineer. I've worked for many companies, and they don't take kindly to being defrauded, or breaking ToS. You've been LUCKY

keep it up and one day, att will terminate your acct, or FORCE u off that sim and onto a current plan

dont listen to this person... Bad advice!!!!

How in the world would the carrier ever know?   You aren't altering the plan, after all.  You're simply getting the same service you already pay for and not being duped into buying a service you don't want or need.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

@fabe76248 wrote:

It's not about being cheap, it's about being smart. If you have wifi access at home & work, why pay $30 a month for data? If you don't get it, that says more about you than the OP.

I so heartily agree!!!!

Mentor

• 

60 Messages

10 years ago

So, why are you responding to posts that are months and months old?  Seems kinda strange...

Scholar

• 

397 Messages

10 years ago

@thepard wrote:
Sarcasm is not called for. I, too, purchased an iphone not realizing data is required. I do not need or want data - just a quality phone to use AS A PHONE!! It is called a P*H*O*N*E!!! D-uh!

Ok I'll bite--so how were you planning to use those features/apps that require data and you don't have immediate access to Wifi?  Or if you're gonna say that you don't need to use any of those data-required features/apps at all...then why would you need/want to use an iPhone?  Like you said, you just wanted a (quality) "phone to use AS A PHONE!!  It is called a P*H*O*N*E!!! D-uh!"--there are plenty of other "quality" phones out there that work just fine as a phone, so if all you're looking to do is to use a phone "AS A PHONE", then why you would elect to go with a smartphone (model) that for all intents and purposes, shines when used for sending/receiving data in addition to being used just "AS A PHONE"?

I mean, it's your money but your argument comes across as a bit weak when you're saying that you want to use a phone for its most basic function--"as a phone", yet of all the phones you are looking to get/use for just that one basic purpose...you elect to go with an iPhone?  That's sorta like saying that you just want/need a car that will do what its main purpose is--namely, one that you can drive--and you elect to get a Ferrari but argue that you don't need to use it to its full capabilities (e.g., drive really fast), where something as simple as an econobox car (Sentra, Civic) would fit the bill nicely and more affordably.

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

10 years ago

@jane697 wrote:

@thepard wrote:

Ok I'll bite--so how were you planning to use those features/apps that require data and you don't have immediate access to Wifi?  Or if you're gonna say that you don't need to use any of those data-required features/apps at all...then why would you need/want to use an iPhone?  Like you said, you just wanted a (quality) "phone to use AS A PHONE!!  It is called a P*H*O*N*E!!! D-uh!"--there are plenty of other "quality" phones out there that work just fine as a phone, so if all you're looking to do is to use a phone "AS A PHONE", then why you would elect to go with a smartphone (model) that for all intents and purposes, shines when used for sending/receiving data in addition to being used just "AS A PHONE"?

I mean, it's your money but your argument comes across as a bit weak when you're saying that you want to use a phone for its most basic function--"as a phone", yet of all the phones you are looking to get/use for just that one basic purpose...you elect to go with an iPhone?  That's sorta like saying that you just want/need a car that will do what its main purpose is--namely, one that you can drive--and you elect to get a Ferrari but argue that you don't need to use it to its full capabilities (e.g., drive really fast), where something as simple as an econobox car (Sentra, Civic) would fit the bill nicely and more affordably.

I can identify with the "defendant" about the desire to use a high quality phone (such as an iPhone), even without a data plan. Fortunately, I have been blessed with the information that iPhones can be used on prepaid GoPhone plans without a data plan; which is exactly what I have been doing for the past 2.5 years (started with a 3GS, now have a 4). I chose not to opt for another feature phone for three reasons:

• I knew ahead of time that I could use a smartphone with a prepaid plan without being forced to pay for a mandatory data package. 

• I wanted something that I knew was going to be reliable - something that would last me at least a year or two. Feature phones I have had in the past hardly made it past 6 months without failure.

• I wanted something that would essentially act as my sole computer as I seldom use a desktop or laptop for web browsing. Might seem kind of strange, but it's the truth. 

Granted, I am restricted to Wi-Fi usage ONLY, but that's fine with me. If I want to look something up on the go outside of a Wi-Fi zone, then I must wait until I can find one to use. I don't mind waiting - patience is a virtue. It would be nice to have a data plan to use every once in a while, but I cannot justify the additional cost. Perhaps in a few years I will join the bandwagon. But for the time being, you can't beat $25 a month! 

Scholar

• 

397 Messages

10 years ago

Wild Banchi--no argument from me as to why you'd opt for using an iPhone as you clearly indicated that you'd be using it like a computer...whereas the other person essentially--if not clearly--implied that he/she wanted to use a (quality) phone as a "phone"--in which case there are plenty of "quality" phones out there that will do such a basic function admirably and without the requirement of having to subscribe to a data plan.

Sometimes I wonder if some people have/want iPhones simply to look "cool" and/or not receive riducule from their friends and/or colleagues if they were caught dead using a phone that was used back in the stone age...I remember when flip and slider phones were all the rage...but I digress.

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

10 years ago

@jane697 wrote:

Sometimes I wonder if some people have/want iPhones simply to look "cool" and/or not receive riducule from their friends and/or colleagues if they were caught dead using a phone that was used back in the stone age...I remember when flip and slider phones were all the rage...but I digress.

I suspect this is very accurate, especially with today's youth. I can hear it now - "mommy, can I have an iPhone for my birthday? All the other kids at school have one..."

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.